Let's talk about J Cole on how he is 28 and still talking about college ? .

Options
2»

Comments

• c. skillz
    c. skillz Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Options
    As was stated earlier, I'd rather hear some ? about college than the same ol' drug and street themed music (although I do enjoy that ? too).

BUT, if you gone come with some college ? drop some knowledge and perspective (struggles of being one of the few Blacks in that joint, learning to stand on ya own 2, the flawed education system, fear of getting a degree and still not being ? , expectations of being the sole hope in the fam, etc.).....

My problem with his subject matter is that it's 90% either bragging on smashing broads or remorsing on smashing broads. Cool for a song or 2 if you flip it right, but regardless how deep or "dark" you claim it to be, the subject matter sounds a lil Lil Waynish to me after awhile.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Couldn't even get into Devry thread
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    if you hate J coles music or album that's cool. But to be mad at him for only talking about college ? than you haven't heard j coles music. Mr. Nice watch isn't about college, neither is Lost ones, Gods Gift, Rise and Shine, In The morning, Breakdown, and on and on. So how is he only talking about college?

Also stop acting like every other rapper doesn't rap about the same ? . How many subjects are on Watch The Throne? Cruel Summer? I Am Not a Human Being 2? Excuse my french? GFID? Most rappers rap about the same ? pretty much during an entire album its just not college.

It ain't the topic matter itself, it's that he only goes into a few aspects of college and it's the superficial ones for the most part. Like I said nothing wrong with talking about college, hell it's one of the reasons I first started ? with his music, but he leaves out alot. If you going to talk about school talk about all of it not just chasing ? around campus.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Taking my last final of my college career today and I don't ever wanna hear or talk about this ? again in my life.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasn't he even really talking about "college" that much on this album?

I can only recall a couple lines out all the verses that had some college references ... Meh sounds like a fake controversy
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    if you hate J coles music or album that's cool. But to be mad at him for only talking about college ? than you haven't heard j coles music. Mr. Nice watch isn't about college, neither is Lost ones, Gods Gift, Rise and Shine, In The morning, Breakdown, and on and on. So how is he only talking about college?

Also stop acting like every other rapper doesn't rap about the same ? . How many subjects are on Watch The Throne? Cruel Summer? I Am Not a Human Being 2? Excuse my french? GFID? Most rappers rap about the same ? pretty much during an entire album its just not college.

It ain't the topic matter itself, it's that he only goes into a few aspects of college and it's the superficial ones for the most part. Like I said nothing wrong with talking about college, hell it's one of the reasons I first started ? with his music, but he leaves out alot. If you going to talk about school talk about all of it not just chasing ? around campus.

part of creating a song is using parsimony aka being economical and quick with your lyrics. for instance home for the holidays by cole on FNL talks about like i think you said earlier sallie mae and paying for college. But the main point about that song is not superficial aka getting home from school and seeing things have changed.

and there is a time and place for everything. having deep conversations about college isn't something you should put on an album. but its something cole has done at public events at harvard and online. but the majority of his music is not about college.

• Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People stay making mountains out of mole hills. Cole mentions college in a few lines and now he's obsessed with college all of a sudden?
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol what should he talk about smoking weed ? being a coke boy. His subject matter doesn't bother me. if you gonna rhyme speak about your life and what you know. and that's what dude knows. imo
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J cole corny as hell and decent at best
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanye was not about college but. about poverty from aa perspective don't compare a man like kanye to Cole just don't ...lost ones is his saving. grace i am hip-hop i make kalls
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didnt kanye drop the dropout at 27?
  • blackrain
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

part of creating a song is using parsimony aka being economical and quick with your lyrics. for instance home for the holidays by cole on FNL talks about like i think you said earlier sallie mae and paying for college. But the main point about that song is not superficial aka getting home from school and seeing things have changed.

and there is a time and place for everything. having deep conversations about college isn't something you should put on an album. but its something cole has done at public events at harvard and online. but the majority of his music is not about college.

Funny you mentioned Home For The Holidays. That's one of my favorite J. Cole songs he's done and it's for that reason, he delves into other aspects of being in school. Like that first verse about dealing with your friends back home who aren't in school and hearing about all the ? still going on. That's the type of stuff when Cole talks about college he rarely speaks on. That's something alot of first generation college students deal with, clearly Cole dealt with it, but it's few and far in between he mentions it. There's another song on FNL where he talks about being the only black person in class when certain subject matters come up. ? like that people can identify with too who've been in certain schools. That's what me and others are saying when we say he needs to talk about more than he does when he goes into talking about being in school
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Only song I remember that was vividly about college was LAnd of the Snakes and that's one of the better songs on the album to me

You can't put this stigma on someone whose only 2 albums in when you have ? who been in the game 10+ years who been taking about the same ? .

"I'm like damn ? at least keep it consistent"
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanye was not about college but. about poverty from aa perspective don't compare a man like kanye to Cole just don't ...lost ones is his saving. grace i am hip-hop i make kalls

Umm College Dropout,Late registration,The gradutaion

• IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But I bet you ? with Rick Ross's damn near 40 year old ass talkin about sellin dope off the iPhone tho...
  • blackrain
    Options
    But I bet you ? with Rick Ross's damn near 40 year old ass talkin about sellin dope off the iPhone tho...

That was and remains a ? song
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do.

You ? with Jay-Z 50 year old ass rappin about snapbacks and mollies though.
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie I was thinking this same ? listening to the album yesterday. This ? stay on this growing pains type content, but he almost thirty years old. It's like this ? is stuck in limbo because he can't really do the club, act a fool type ? that well and he really don't be on no grown man ? either.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options