So Besides Abortion & Getting U're A$$es Beat....

Options
DarcSkies777
DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Powder Room
What are some important issues facing broads in America that aren't being addressed?

Equal pay for equal work.....And what else?

What issues are women having in this country that arent being addressed and why do you think that is?

Heffas...rebuttal?

Comments

• the_underground
    the_underground Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Rights for immigrant women who work as maids and are exploited for the labor.

Sexual abuse and exploitation of women in the prison system.

Sterilization abuse by the medical industry.

Environmental racism creating hazardous conditions for women in lower income neighborhoods.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited July 2010
    Options

Environmental racism creating hazardous conditions for women in lower income neighborhoods
    ^^ THE ? ?

Educate me please. And by sterilization you mean black women and abortion clinics or there is really a sterilization effort?
  • the_underground
    edited July 2010
    Options
    ^^ THE ? ?

Educate me please. And by sterilization you mean black women and abortion clinics or there is really a sterilization effort?

My bad, I worded it wrong. There have been cases where women go in for check ups to the local clinics, and doctors have tried to convince them to get their tubes tied or talk them into a sterilization procedure.

What I mean by environmental racism was that there is more pollution and toxic waste in neighborhoods that Black and Latina women live in, especially those that are living near industrial toxic waste sites. More women of color are exposed to chemicals that cause lung disease, birth defects, and genetic mutations. Native American women who live on reservations are subjected to lung cancer because of uranium mining. The Marshall Islands also has women who have birth defects and shorter life spans because of the radiation from the United Sates testing nuclear and atomic weapons.
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    My bad, I worded it wrong. There have been cases where women go in for check ups to the local clinics, and doctors have tried to convince them to get their tubes tied or talk them into a sterilization procedure.

What I mean by environmental racism was that there is more pollution and toxic waste in neighborhoods that Black and Latina women live in, especially those that are living near industrial toxic waste sites. More women of color are exposed to chemicals that cause lung disease, birth defects, and genetic mutations. Native American women who live on reservations are subjected to lung cancer because of uranium mining. The Marshall Islands also has women who have birth defects and shorter life spans because of the radiation from the United Sates testing nuclear and atomic weapons.

Don't you think it's where you live that determines the amount of pollution as opposed to the type of people that are living there?

White people also seem to be more of the "tree hugger type" so maybe they just take better care of their air... drive fuel efficient cars and ? , as opposed to buying an old shitbox with bad fuel economy or an expensive Escalade with bad fuel economy.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited July 2010
    Options

What I mean by environmental racism was that there is more pollution and toxic waste in neighborhoods that Black and Latina women live in, especially those that are living near industrial toxic waste sites. More women of color are exposed to chemicals that cause lung disease, birth defects, and genetic mutations. Native American women who live on reservations are subjected to lung cancer because of uranium mining. The Marshall Islands also has women who have birth defects and shorter life spans because of the radiation from the United Sates testing nuclear and atomic weapons
    Wow...I am not shocked by this but I also wasnt fully aware.
    Legend24 wrote: »
    Don't you think it's where you live that determines the amount of pollution as opposed to the type of people that are living there?

White people also seem to be more of the "tree hugger type" so maybe they just take better care of their air... drive fuel efficient cars and ? , as opposed to buying an old shitbox with bad fuel economy or an expensive Escalade with bad fuel economy.
    ^^^ That has little to do with putting all the radio active ? in minority neighborhoods though especially since their congressmen usually have more pull because they are white and pay more taxes.

BUt it would be nice if minorities cared about the environment more.
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That has little to do with putting all the radio active ? in minority neighborhoods though especially since their congressmen usually have more pull because they are white and pay more taxes.

BUt it would be nice if minorities cared about the environment more.

It's also possible that the radio active ? was there before people moved in? Pollution-filled neighbourhood = cheaper housing, which is where some of the low-income minorities would have to reside. I think it goes both ways, the pollution could come into the neighbourhood for the reasons you mentioned or the people could move into the polluted neighbourhood for cheaper housing.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited July 2010
    Options
    It's also possible that the radio active ? was there before people moved in? Pollution-filled neighbourhood = cheaper housing, which is where some of the low-income minorities would have to reside. I think it goes both ways, the pollution could come into the neighbourhood for the reasons you mentioned or the people could move into the polluted neighbourhood for cheaper housing.

I think that when a company that produces chemicals moves into an area a block away and THEN people start getting sick it's safe to say that is the cause of the sickness.

Its a POSSIBLE that a company would build over a wasteland...but not PLAUSIBLE.
  • Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Options

Environmental racism creating hazardous conditions for women in lower income neighborhoods.

I co-sign your above statements..

Sterilization has been occuring elsewhere (diff countries) but it has been creeping into the states..

I know in china, females are only allowed to have 1 daughter, if anything more than that the unborn fetus gets aborted regardless of what the female has to say or think of the situation.. And because of this more baby girls are stolen in china for the lack of women smh.. But I believe its a population control and not only that but for the chinesee government to have more soliders (men) on standby.

I see a growing trend here where women are urged by their physicans to be sterilized (tubes tied) and not only that but in the work industry, if your a women and pregnant unemployed at that a pregnant women is likely to be overlooked for the job because this creates an expense for the company in terms of maternity leave, the whole hiring process and not forget to mention the medical bill.. I see this as discrimination against pregnant women in any industry I believe..
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Along with the sterilization, a big issue is also doctors convincing women to get unnecessary hysterectomies. Thats a HUGE problem that isn't addressed enough man. I had a doctor schedule me for surgery to cut my damn ? in half......the ? sounded absolutely CRAZY to me. And although I'm not well versed in medical terms and procedures, I knew that ? aint sound right. I came home and researched it online. Then made an appt at a diff doc for a second opinion. He was like WHAT?!! Like, seriously- he wanted to report that doctor. And she was a black woman doctor! The new doctor basically told me that #1- Wasn't nothin wrong with me! #2- if she did that I would never be able to have babies in my life #3- thats setting me up to need a hysterectomy in another 10-20 years.

? was crazy yo. I started really reading up on how doctors give women (of all colors) unnecessary hysterectomy instead of dealing with the issue they have. My doctor believes that it is the absolute LAST option EVER and he'll only do that operation if a woman has fibroids galore that cant be fixed.

Back to ur subject though- along with equal pay, domestic violence, etc etc I'm just tired of being looked at as a sexual being, which makes me have to prove myself 10x's more than a damn man in the workplace. it kills me. i gotta jump through hoops with flames shooting from em while my male counterpart can just do a minimal job and be promoted for that ? .
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Despite what u think u cant say Darc dont care about the ladies lol
  • the_underground
    edited July 2010
    Options

Nope. Major pollution that gets into the air and toxic waste are attributed to companies that do business in the area. People in the islands can't help it that there is radiation in the area. Native Americans can't help it that a company mines uranium near their reservation.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Good thread....Keep it going
  • Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Nope. Major pollution that gets into the air and toxic waste are attributed to companies that do business in the area. People in the islands can't help it that there is radiation in the area. Native Americans can't help it that a company mines uranium near their reservation.

this ^^^ is true..

Me being Native American and have resided on the reservation don't really have a choice. I know a few people who've gotten lung cancer and has major respritory issues because of the Uranium.. and me being part Polynesian and often visits to the island is well aware of the radation that my people are being exposed too.. And in both cases, the people don't really have no other choice because that's where home is ESP for native Americans, the elders are attached to their traditions, homeland and culture so therefore my people suffer in silence.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Along with the sterilization, a big issue is also doctors convincing women to get unnecessary hysterectomies. Thats a HUGE problem that isn't addressed enough man. I had a doctor schedule me for surgery to cut my damn ? in half......the ? sounded absolutely CRAZY to me. And although I'm not well versed in medical terms and procedures, I knew that ? aint sound right. I came home and researched it online. Then made an appt at a diff doc for a second opinion. He was like WHAT?!! Like, seriously- he wanted to report that doctor. And she was a black woman doctor! The new doctor basically told me that #1- Wasn't nothin wrong with me! #2- if she did that I would never be able to have babies in my life #3- thats setting me up to need a hysterectomy in another 10-20 years.

? was crazy yo. I started really reading up on how doctors give women (of all colors) unnecessary hysterectomy instead of dealing with the issue they have. My doctor believes that it is the absolute LAST option EVER and he'll only do that operation if a woman has fibroids galore that cant be fixed.

Back to ur subject though- along with equal pay, domestic violence, etc etc I'm just tired of being looked at as a sexual being, which makes me have to prove myself 10x's more than a damn man in the workplace. it kills me. i gotta jump through hoops with flames shooting from em while my male counterpart can just do a minimal job and be promoted for that ? .
    First of all WOW....

Second of all didnt know u even wanted babies. Or was it just the principle of the thing?

And I didnt know you gave a damna bout domestic violence...

And lastly, I thought you worked by yourself really from what you described your job as.
    bull6599 wrote: »
    Despite what u think u cant say Darc dont care about the ladies lol

And do I get thanked? NO....but they'll post in the "Black ? aint ? " threads all day. SEE ? SAY, YA SEE?!
  • Blue Virgo
    Blue Virgo Members Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Wowzas, Dee. That's crazy.
    Thanks goodness you got a second opinion.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited July 2010
    Options
    First of all WOW....

Second of all didnt know u even wanted babies. Or was it just the principle of the thing?

And I didnt know you gave a damna bout domestic violence...

And lastly, I thought you worked by yourself really from what you described your job as.

nah I don't want babies but I want the option to not have them. I still stick by the thought that IDK if imma meet a man that I just love so much that I wanna have all his babies lol. I dont want to not be able to have babies because of a medical issue though.
    And wtf LOL why wouldnt i care about domestic violence?! I have 2 sorority sisters that got killed due to domestic violence. It hits close to home for me. I just dont express all my views on here cause i could care less about being serious up in here lol

and nah i dont work alone but I work in a self sufficient position, if u get what i mean. My struggles at EVERY job are long and tragic. I always gotta prove myself 803180318x's more than any man or woman cause im usually the only black person there and also usually the youngest. Its gets stressful. I've came home crying about it plenty of times. There is not much you can do when you work in an organization that rewards people for their skin color rather than their work.
  • betterthenu84
    betterthenu84 Members Posts: 861
    edited July 2010
    Options
    c/s the sterilization issue they never tell women what the effects of birth control can do once you finally decide to have a child. I also think another issue is women's health in general you always here about breast cancer but they never talk about the affects of obesity in women, heart health, and even vein health. There are at least 4 women in my office having issues with there veins in my office and I think thats kind of scary.

As far as our rights the only problem I'm really having is in the social work field granted its like 80% women but I think its unfair for me to start at 65K and for men to start at 75K...that doesn't seem right esp for those women like myself who are at the top of there class and are published.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Speaking of environmental racism, the average life expectancy in Hiroshima is higher than the avg anywhere in the US.

Explain that.

Don't worry, I'll explain it for you: Americans of all races are fat lazy victim-mentality chumps who can't fix anything for themselves. Blacks especially.
  • the_underground
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I can relate to what you're saying, Betterthanue. My mother still has to deal with old white saltines at the office who think they still run ? , even though she's a manager of a big department at Allstate.

What also concerns me is war and occupation by the US military abroad and how this leads to sexual abuse and less chances for Middle Eastern women to live in a stable environment. Women in Afghanistan and Iraq have said that they feel less safe with American forces and that their chances of receiving decent education and access to power is lower with the war on terrorism.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited July 2010
    Options
    nah I don't want babies but I want the option to not have them. I still stick by the thought that IDK if imma meet a man that I just love so much that I wanna have all his babies lol. I dont want to not be able to have babies because of a medical issue though.
    And wtf LOL why wouldnt i care about domestic violence?! I have 2 sorority sisters that got killed due to domestic violence. It hits close to home for me. I just dont express all my views on here cause i could care less about being serious up in here lol
    and nah i dont work alone but I work in a self sufficient position, if u get what i mean. My struggles at EVERY job are long and tragic. I always gotta prove myself 803180318x's more than any man or woman cause im usually the only black person there and also usually the youngest. Its gets stressful. I've came home crying about it plenty of times. There is not much you can do when you work in an organization that rewards people for their skin color rather than their work.

WELL DAMN Dee. And here I am quitting my jobs after 3 days LOL

See, amma stop telling you my business. Cuz u apparently dont be telling me ? . So ? u too ? .

And as for the rest of that...I understand.
  • Myayoni is bored
    Myayoni is bored Members Posts: 716 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Health issues.
    Man issues.

Too many fat diabetic women going to church looking for a man like Jesus then drowning their sorrows in fried chicken and collard greens only to repeat the cycle next sunday.
  • DarcSkies777
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Health issues.
    Man issues.

Too many fat diabetic women going to church looking for a man like Jesus then drowning their sorrows in fried chicken and collard greens only to repeat the cycle next sunday.

PraY-CH............
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    edited July 2010
    Options
    WELL DAMN Dee. And here I am quitting my jobs after 3 days LOL

See, amma stop telling you my business. Cuz u apparently dont be telling me ? . So ? u too ? .

And as for the rest of that...I understand.

LMAOOOOOOO!!!!! U dont ASK about me!
  • DarcSkies777
    edited July 2010
    Options
    LMAOOOOOOO!!!!! U dont ASK about me!

Truuuuuue.

? it I was a Deedra Ann Jr. report every other Thursday after you do your homework *folds arms*

I can see you now, "MORE HOMEWORK ? ?" *flips me the bird lol
  • Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

Are you talking about illegals who aren't suppose to be in the country and are depressing wages? E.g. Mel Gibson's maid.

If this is actually happening it needs to be addressed, but I seriously doubt it because it violates the 8th and 14 Amendments. Plus no governor or sheriff in country would tolerate women being abused by C.O.s They don't need that ? and for this to go one would be tantamount to a political cluster ? of epic proportions. Is it impossible that it's going on? No. It's it i improbable? Yes.

In the U.S., can't be forced to be sterilized. If a doctor game possessed enough game to convince a woman to become sterilized, this ? was a ? who didn't need to be breeding anyway.

What sort of inane fuckery is this.