Tekken Revolution releases in U.S. later today, Free2Play PlayStation 3 Exclusive

Options
Bcotton5
Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
Namco Bandai's free-to-play 3D fighter, Tekken Revolution, is being released on the PlayStation Network later today. According to Katsuhiro Harada, the game should be available for download at around 12 noon - 1 p.m. in the United States (most likely PDT, meaning around 3 p.m. for the East Coast).

Japan, Asia and Europe will be receiving the free-to-play Tekken title tomorrow in the afternoon. Additionally, the file size for this download weighs in at 2 GB.

If you're looking to pick up the game today and are wondering what the trophies may look like, Exophase has already gone ahead listed them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VBTo6sWNMWY

Crafted by NAMCO BANDAI Games' internal TEKKEN development team, TEKKEN REVOLUTION provides fighting game fans and newcomers alike the hard-hitting gameplay of the famed franchise.

Choose from an initial cast of eight iconic TEKKEN characters to train and battle against AI opponents in Arcade Mode or take on fearsome human rivals spanning the globe through online Ranked and Player Matches.

The game also features new bone-crunching Special Arts and Critical Arts moves designed to help newcomers deliver hard-hitting attacks and advanced players to employ new strategies with their favorite fighters.

For the first time in TEKKEN history players will be able to level-up their characters, increasing three key attributes; Strength, Endurance and Vigor, to create a combatant tuned to individual play styles. Develop a defensive tank character with high HP to withstand knockout blows while offense focused players can create a damage-inflicting character with low health but high critical hit rates to devastate opponents with a flurry of attacks.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Options
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    damn its out now Im downloading
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Im playing right now who want it 1st? Cham Sion Genocide?

11_tekkenrev02.jpg

11_tekkenrev03.jpg

11_tekkenrev09.jpg

11_tekkenrev09.jpg

11_tekkenrev01.jpg
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll DL it when I get home. Should be good for some fun.

celestial_soulja
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    I heard you were good lol^ let me practice on Cham and Genocide 1st

11_tekkenrev05.jpg
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Tekken Revolution overview - How it works, costs for premium coins and much more
    11_overviewtekrev03.jpg

Tekken Revolution launched today, but unless you've had the chance to play it, you're probably wondering how it all works, as Namco hasn't provided a lot of details as of late. We spent some time with the game here and EventHubs and wanted to offer a rundown of what you can expect.

There's a lot of details in this post, so we've broken everything down into sections to make it a bit easier to find what you're looking for. From the coin system to how the current DLC setup works, we're trying to cover all bases here a new player would want to know.

Hit the jump to check it all out.

Overview - How it works

Tekken Revolution is built around a coins (credits) setup. Think of it like putting a quarter into an arcade machine to play, the concept is much the same. The game starts you off with a few credits that you can use to play arcade mode or online, doing so costing you one credit each.

You can unlock credits by winning online matches, beating arcade mode and as more time passes, more credits unlock automatically as well. You can purchase premium coins if you want to pony up some cash, and don't want to wait for more to become available.

The game is very similar to Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in how it plays, its modes and most everything else. It's basically a stripped down TTT2, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it's a free title, and there's a good among of fun and time that can be spent here without spending a dime of your own money, if you so choose.

You're required to be online at all times while playing Tekken Revolution, so if the servers are having trouble, or you're having problems with your internet connection — you cannot play.

The game's modes are as follows:
    • Ranked Match (Online)
    • Player Match (Online)
    • Arcade Battle (Offline)
    • Character Enhancement
    • Options
    • PlayStation Store

Coins, tickets and premium coins

11_overviewtekrev02t.jpg

• New coins appear after a certain amount of time — regardless if you're online or offline, so you can shut down your PS3 without worry and come back to a fresh amount of coins to use.

• Arcade Coins allow you to play arcade mode, you can have a max of 2 at one time, and a new coin comes up every 60 minutes.

• Battle Coins allow you to play the online ranked and player match modes. You can have a max of 5, and a new one comes up automatically every 30 minutes.

• Premium Tickets are awarded to you by accomplishing various feats, like beating arcade mode and such. You can use a premium ticket to play arcade or ranked mode if you're out of coins.

• You can hold a max of 999 Premium Tickets, and if you use one to play an online match, and you win that match, you'll earn another Premium Ticket as a prize. If you lose that online match, you'll gain more XP than you otherwise would have.

• Premium Coins work the same way as Premium Tickets, except you have to purchase these. Here's the pricing structure, all in USD.
    - 4 for 99 cents.
    - 10 for $1.99.
    - 30 for $4.99.

Online play and more

• The net code is really good. It feels like the same net code that they used in TTT2, so matches are smooth and fun.

• When waiting for a Ranked Match the game puts you into a training mode automatically while you wait.

• A player dropped (disconnected) on me during our match, but I was still awarded with XP, although it still cost me my coin/ticket, just like if the match had been completed.

• Namco Bandai is also running events for Tekken Revolution, where they reward players with double the amount of XP, bonus tickets and quite a bit more. When you start the game, you should be notified of any major developments.

Gameplay, characters and leveling up

• In overall gameplay terms, the title is VERY similar to a 1v1 version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Most of the moves you know from the series are back, but this title puts a bit of a unique spin on them with Critical and Special Arts.

11_overviewtekrev01.jpg
    • Each fighter has four Critical Arts, which give you the chance to do increased damage on critical hits. Combatants also have one Special Art, which gives them a period of invincibility at the start of the move. You can spot Critical Arts and Special Arts by the particle and motion blur effects.

• Playing matches earns XP, which can be spent to level up 3 different attributes. Power (damage done), Endurance (stamina), and vigor (increase critical hit chance). Heading into the game's Character Enhancement section will let you spend these points.

• Arcade mode is super easy and even novice Tekken players should be able to work their way through it. I'm not sure if the difficulty progressively gets harder, though.

• Eight playable characters at the start are unlocked: Kazuya, Asuka, Paul, Law, Lars, Jack-6, King and Lili, although in arcade mode you can play against other fighters like Bryan, Leo, Steve, Heihachi and Ogre. These fighters are all likely playable and can be unlocked over time.

• Playing a few arcade mode matches and ranked matches unlocked a character for me, so it doesn't appear that unlocking characters costs anything at this time. As far as I can tell, only coins currently are tied to actual money, but that could very well chance as new systems/items are introduced.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I played Arcade a couple times and Ranked Match a couple times. I like it. There is no bound, so the combos aren't going to be as long. It makes for a nice change of pace. Also the introduction the Critical and Special arts are a nice change. The graphics are mostly the same, but it looks like they modified the artwork a little and the Critical and Special arts are given a little added flair. A couple of Kazuya's moves had a some extra flair added to them too. They looked more like their SFxT versions. However, this might be a temporary thing. The game is saying something about Kazyua and Lars being temporarily given those effects. Why they would make something like that temporary, I don't know.

All in all, it's pretty damn awesome for a free game. If you already have TTT2, it might not be much, but if you don't have TTT2, it's definitely worth picking up.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Better is relative.

It's different from those games because all of the characters are their TTT2 versions. So whatever changes were made to those characters for that game are in this game. Also they've added in a Critical/Special move mechanic.

Each character has a Special move that is invincible on start-up (think SS4 Ultras). Each character has several Critical moves that have a chance of doing critical damage.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Bound was introduced in T6. It's not present in this game, so that makes it more like Tekken 5.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I mean if you have TTT2 already. Getting it isn't such a big deal. If you haven't played Tekken since 5 or 6 though, it might be worthwhile. I've played TTT2 a lot and I still kinda like this game because of the removal of the Bound mechanic.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Its like a 1 on 1 version of Tekken Tag 2 with some new mechanics, word is they testing out these mechanics for Tekken X Street Fighter, with the invincible moves like SF characters
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Theodis wrote: »
    HOW IS THIS DIFFERENT OR BETTER THAN TEKKEN 6 OR DARK REVOLUTION?

lol fam its free, and its the newest version of Tekken, its based on Tag 2 the most recent Tekken
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I might check it out
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Does Sion button mash in Tekken too?
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    some notes from the Tekken vets

The game mechanics are pretty different from TTT2.

-Each character has 1 invincible move, and they all seem to be launch punishable. Characters also have moves that can randomly critical hit.
    -No more bound
    -Different colors to tell you how punishable a move is
    -Execution is easier. For example Paul demo man is very easy now.
    -Theres a 2D style walking animation so if you can't dash around it's not as sluggish.
    -BDC seems to be nerfed
  • Bcotton5
    Options

celestial_soulja

sent a friend request since @KillaCham @Sion and @genocidecutter are ducking me
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

celestial_soulja

Aight cool, I'll probably be on around 10 pm EST.
  • genocidecutter
    Options

celestial_soulja

?
  • genocidecutter
    Options
    Does Sion button mash in Tekken too?

I think
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    I unlocked a new character already, I think you just gotta earn gift points
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Yeah, I unlocked Steve. Didn't do anything special though. Just played through Arcade twice and played 3 ranked matches.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is there a training mode for scrub ? such as myself?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Nope, not at the moment. However, if you play ranked, they let you get a practice fight while you're waiting. If you hit O and cancel the search, I think you can continue to play the practice fight.
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    Options
    Fwm online intalect