Microsoft exec Don Mattrick: 'No internet? Stick with Xbox 360'

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Microsoft exec Don Mattrick: 'No internet? Stick with Xbox 360'
Published Wednesday, Jun 12 2013, 11:55 BST | By Ben Lee

Microsoft has advised people who have no internet connection to keep playing on their Xbox 360.

Recently, the company clarified its digital and DRM policies for their upcoming Xbox One system.

gaming-xbox-one-1.jpg

The console will require an internet connection once every 24 hours in order to play games, and once an hour if playing on an Xbox One that isn't your own.

However, live TV, Blu-ray and DVD movie options will still be accessible.

Microsoft executive Don Mattrick told GameTrailers in an interview that was filmed just before E3 that he understood why some people are frustrated at their policies.

"Fortunately, we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity," he said. "It's called Xbox 360.

"If you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5yC8FbgGnd0

Mattrick continued: "Seriously, when I read the blogs and thought about who's really the most impacted, there was a person who said, 'Hey I'm on a nuclear sub'. And I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub, but I've got to imagine it's not easy to get an internet connection.

"But hey, I can empathise. If I was on a sub I'd be disappointed.

"It's a service-based world, if you think about things and how they get better with an internet connection. That's a design choice we've made. I think people will appreciate it.

"We did a lot of testing [and] a lot of consumer research, and I think we made a good choice."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a489371/microsoft-exec-don-mattrick-no-internet-stick-with-xbox-360.html

Comments

• focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Confirmed. No ? who live in submarines, Rapture, Atlantis or any other under sea locations allowed on XBone. How will M$ survive without them?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Confirmed. No ? who live in submarines, Rapture, Atlantis or any other under sea locations allowed on XBone.

As well as most of rural America and anybody on military bases here in the good ol US of A.
  • focus
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Confirmed. No ? who live in submarines, Rapture, Atlantis or any other under sea locations allowed on XBone.

As well as most of rural America and anybody on military bases here in the good ol US of A.

Well those people need to write their local congressman, but this is business. There are over 530 million people in North America alone. Microsoft's goal is 100 million XBone's sold worldwide.

Progress. Nobody said there would'nt be casualties.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol I hope you're never CEO of a big company. The "I'm going to needlessly ? off potential customers and run them to my competitor because there are a lot of people in the world and I may still be able to reach my goal" philosphy doesn't seem to be one that would be good for success.

The even more ? up thing about what dude said is that Microsoft isn't even going the Sony route. I could see Sony saying something like this and it being ok because they are still committed to supporting the PS3 and making sure it has quality games. M$ hasn't shown anywhere near that level of commitment to the 360, so one of their reps telling people to play the 360 is that much worse.
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would hope a ? that have enough moneu to buy a XB1 would have enough money for internet.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Well good luck to them cause they have no presence in the East. Their other major western market (Europe) is Sony country. Alienating a such huge chunk of it's biggest market (NA) doesn't seem too wise to me. I will buy an XBO myself down the line but I see it's success rate being more comparable to the original Xbox (which I also owned) than the 360 (which I never bought) by the end. Unless they go back on a lot of their policies and change ? down the line Sony PS3 style.
  • focus
    edited June 2013
    Options
    If you PERSONALLY don't live:

1. Underwater
    2. In an empty field
    3. In a warzone

Why do you care? I hope you are fighting for the "freedom" and "justice" of everyone then and not just video gamers. LOL @ being on the internet non-stop to complain about being on the internet.

Install base ain't everything. Nintendo made more money on the GameCube than Sony did with the PS2. And with the mainstream appeal of the XBone, install base shouldn't be a problem anyway. Sony is notorious for having terrible, terrible business models.

What is the point in selling your hardware for cheap and taking a loss on each one sold, just so that the people who get one can play used and pirated games? :-/
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol I hope you're never CEO of a big company.

lol you know damn well that aint ever gonna happen
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    If you PERSONALLY don't live:

1. Underwater
    2. In an empty field
    3. In a warzone

Why do you care? I hope you are fighting for the "freedom" and "justice" of everyone then and not just video gamers. LOL @ being on the internet non-stop to complain about being on the internet.

Install base ain't everything. Nintendo made more money on the GameCube than Sony did with the PS2. And with the mainstream appeal of the XBone, install base shouldn't be a problem anyway. Sony is notorious for having terrible, terrible business models.

What is the point in selling your hardware for cheap and taking a loss on each one sold, just so that the people who get one can play used and pirated games? :-/

What are you talking about? Pretty much every system is sold at a loss. The PS2 certainly was and it's the most successful system to date right? And pirating was much worse in previous generations than it is now and those companies were still successful, so you're exaggerating the significance of some of this ? . If it really was as bad as you're making it seem, Sony would not even be able to what it's doing. It would have to go the route Microsoft is going especially since they as a company are not doing as well as M$. The fact that they aren't doing all that goes to show that it wasn't something that was absolutely necessary.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I personally care about any platform I invest in having a decent install base in the long run because I don't want to be stuck with another Dreamcast. Anything less than 30 million worldwide for XBO I would see as being a threat to it's lifetime. I hope it manages to reach that because I would like to have games on it until the next console generation begins.
  • focus
    Options
    you're exaggerating the significance of some of this ? . If it really was as bad as you're making it seem, Sony would not even be able to what it's doing. It would have to go the route Microsoft is going especially since they as a company are not doing as well as M$. The fact that they aren't doing all that goes to show that it wasn't something that was absolutely necessary.

Or...Sony still can't manage a business. Anyway, I can't wait to play TitanFall.

LOL. I'm the one "exaggerating". LOL. Ok.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    you're exaggerating the significance of some of this ? . If it really was as bad as you're making it seem, Sony would not even be able to what it's doing. It would have to go the route Microsoft is going especially since they as a company are not doing as well as M$. The fact that they aren't doing all that goes to show that it wasn't something that was absolutely necessary.

Or...Sony still can't manage a business. Anyway, I can't wait to play TitanFall.

LOL. I'm the one "exaggerating". LOL. Ok.

You are the one exaggerating. All anyone in here or anywhere else has been saying is that M$ is alientating and ? on a lot of people with these policies. That's not exaggeration. That's fact. You're the one talking like selling a console at a loss is some crazy move despite the fact that practically every console known to man has been sold at a loss.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol I don't trade or sell games to gamestop...them ? ain't making money off me...my internet is reliable...when I was in Iraq I wasn't thinking about xbox......so yeah I'm good money
  • Broddie
    Options
    2ushe6w.jpg

At least he ain't Shenco?
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Don Mattrick bout to get fired. That ? ? up worse than a hanggliding ? for real lol.

And it's not even that the One requires all this totalitarian extremist DRM ? , it's the fact that him and Microsoft is being pretentious ? about it, almost like the ? that's gonna actually buy the ? , the GAMER really don't matter to they bottom line anymore.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    2ushe6w.jpg

At least he ain't Shenco?

Shenco is the Virtual Boy of rappers
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options

There is high speed internet available in U.S. military bases. The concern is with troops deployed overseas in places w/o internet access.
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    what about if you simply dont want to ? play online? I play online with the 360 alot but most of the time if Im playing a game without a multiplayer mode I just play the storyline/campaign mode. so I dont understand what is so crucial about being online to play the damn game? I know, I know... u only have to get on once a day. so what I can afford or actually have internet? thats not even the point, they think they can just punk people into doing what they want so they can line their pockets some more. like we havent already gave them an arm and leg with the 360 ? and the MS point ? system. so whats the news here? they gonna release xbox one games for the 360?
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »

There is high speed internet available in U.S. military bases. The concern is with troops deployed overseas in places w/o internet access.

Believe it or not some bases don't have internet for troops in this country still even after 2010.

Anyway I just read this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586406

damn
  • earth two superman
    Options
    Asian gamers will have to wait a year longer than their American counterparts to get their hands on Microsoft’s Xbox One, which will only be available in the region in late 2014, a year after its U.S. launch this November.
    The new device will only be available in select Asian markets – Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and India

damn.... MS salty about the 360 going double velcro in asia
  • Broddie
    edited June 2013
    Options
    They save money by not touching Asia off the bat but still lmao @ the 123 xbox fans that live there.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol they said ? asia this time around
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol! Seems racist to me...