Trying to legitimately create a business:

Options
evoljeanyes
evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
I want to create a conversation platform/magazine. I have solid connects, will be able to get celebs. Have event, night club and travel marketing packages. I have travel arrangement and photography for photoshoots. Should I charge a $1-$3 monthly fee or keep it free? This is the only portion of my launch i haven't decided upon, Thoughts?

Comments

• Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3 dollars bro.how u gonna distribute though?hand to hand ?

Just dont do that mag cloud ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • NIKE...
    NIKE... Members Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Print is a dying if not dead business...focus on digital avenues and ad revenue..

Major printing presses have shut down...i doubt you will see any success printing actual mags...

Keep it online, keep it neat and keep it interesting..your goal should be increasing traffic and in turn, your ad revenue SHOULD increase..
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    It depends how he distributes though?like online mail order and hand to hand to the barbershops and local mag stores etc he can make aight money.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Paul Hate.
    Options
    Yo with some ass and ? and some rapper intervies alone he could be moving dozens of mags a day by himself.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    I doubt I will do print...if I do I would do direct sells to businesses and offer entertainment coupons. I will be selling the memberships to have people have access to discussions with the athletes and Celebes I interview. Calling into the podcast. Exclusive content. Etcetera. More than anything I want a well monitored discussion platform.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    I will distribute by membership access.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Paul Hate. wrote: »
    3 dollars bro.how u gonna distribute though?hand to hand ?

Just dont do that mag cloud ? .

What's mag cloud?
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Magazine game is waiting to be monopolized. I think I can do it. I have writers. If I do concert giveaways podcasts. Giveaway. I can so it. Its money. I have models. I am doing a national call for a little t & a for the site. I am offering a trip to Atlanta I pay for trip and stay and club entry. It will work. Everyone is looking for a place to talk.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Magazine game is waiting to be monopolized. I think I can do it. I have writers. If I do concert giveaways podcasts. Giveaway. I can so it. Its money. I have models. I am doing a national call for a little t & a for the site. I am offering a trip to Atlanta I pay for trip and stay and club entry. It will work. Everyone is looking for a place to talk.

lol how can a dying industry be waiting to be monopolized? that's like saying "oh yeah, im bout to take over this horse and carriage game!" in the 50's/60's
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Online magazines are flourishing, but they are too niche. There needs to be a magazine that presents as something encompasses entertainment of all formats. For example this site is allhiphop, but they delve into all formats of entertainment. So they lose viewers. If it was called alleverything.com it would pull more people in.
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Online magazines are flourishing, but they are too niche. There needs to be a magazine that presents as something encompasses entertainment of all formats. For example this site is allhiphop, but they delve into all formats of entertainment. So they lose viewers. If it was called alleverything.com it would pull more people in.

Son....I'm bout to Mark Zuckerberg you....you're about to be Winklevossed
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ? ....let me help you out....

Pm me.....
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

Pm me.....

Where you from, g? Where you at? What type of work do you do?
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Print is a dying if not dead business...focus on digital avenues and ad revenue..

Major printing presses have shut down...i doubt you will see any success printing actual mags...

Keep it online, keep it neat and keep it interesting..your goal should be increasing traffic and in turn, your ad revenue SHOULD increase..

So no charging just add revenue?
    How many hits do I have to get to get money? I specialize in literature and ad/marketing. So if I can get an idea of what mt numbers need be then I can plan for increases.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

Pm me.....

Where you from, g? Where you at? What type of work do you do?

Philly....philly....i own several businesses
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still strongly believe in print. print will never leave, ppl always gonna desire certain things printed. but I think a higher percentage of how effective any print media is depends on how much of a desire was created first (effective marketing) and how much value the print adds to ppl lives. Kanye West got plenty of ppl to buy the Graduation CD just because the original art by Murakami and possibility for it to become rare and worth more than they bought it for in the future. I know a bit of what print use to be good for just dont cut it no more - like direct mail marketing, which is down like less than 1% in terms of effectiveness and redeem rate. But it depends on several other factors.

I think little things, such as the size of the magazine should you decide to print them will help make it more successful. Think how small Jet is. The price strategy you want to use sounds good, 80% of the money needs to come from the ads and sponsors anyway.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    id say keep it free and just see if you can get enough people to constantly check for your mag and just get sponsors and advertisement $$ like all those perfume pages you see in mags
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Who exactly arr you marketing to? Age/demographic/etc

And don't say some ? like EVERYBODY WITH EYES THAT CAN READ MAGAZINES

My content for majority will be 18-40. I will exceed that demographic by including giveaways that will entice older people and their kids. Family vacations. Concert ticket etc.

I won't be catering by race. Thats stupid.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    armagod wrote: »
    id say keep it free and just see if you can get enough people to constantly check for your mag and just get sponsors and advertisement $$ like all those perfume pages you see in mags

I may give free access...but I don't want to do it.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let me get a free pass when you get your first issue out bro bro
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    I am not printing. I don't know where I am making that unclear. I like e-mag format. Not much different from this site. I will have promo and coupons and giveaways and stores. Also I will be rewarding the top threads monthly with cash. I'm promoting conversation and non trolling. Also rewarded posters with direct interactions with celebrities and millionaire business owners. I will be interviewing niche site owners. ie: dude Aaron smith from nbadraft.net, or Pendleton dude from full-scale sports. I got kingofpops the white dude from wall street who got millions starting a gourmet posicle stand. I Lou williams and jared cook who played aau ball together talking about growing up. I got t-pain, I got the dude who created twitter, I got pinky, I got the founder of the largest autism charity and nueroligists talking about autism. I got fashion shows with up and coming designers brand new lines to be promoted. I have exclusive tees and merch.

I think I will succeed. I just started receiving posts for most interesting women in the world. I have females sending photos and essays. I did it for the men too got good feedback signed a featured model to do promo and make appearances. I just need a girl

I will definitely let y'all be members for free just for giving feedback. How can I post some of my merch pics from my phone
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Give it for free for like 3-12 months (your decision) and then start charging $1-3. That way you get a large audience at first and people tend to stay with what they're familiar with.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Online... and free is the only way to go about it unless you're really spitting knowledge that people can't get from somewhere else. The only way you can charge is if you get specialized clientele who wouldn't give their stories/advice to other outlets.

So online and free, and make your money through advertisements is my suggestion.