Have any black pro athletes' children become anything great in something other than sports and

Options
Undefeatable
Undefeatable Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
entertainment?

I mean like an outstanding engineer, lawyer, doctor, investment banker, or business owner?

What about just an engineer, lawyer, doctor, investment banker or someone who created a successful business -- forget about being outstanding.

Or what about just getting into a selective college, like an Ivy League school? This would still pretty much ensure a decent job.

Why am I asking?

These guys have money, money that they should be able to use to help uplift the race if only by uplifting their own family in the sense of using their sports-created wealth to raise children who can make a good living outside of sports and entertainment. Obviously, it doesn't help the race if these dudes buy mansions and cars and their kids just grow up to live off their wealth (this won't last for more than a generation or two, and in most cases dude doesn't have that kind of money anyway), or worse fall back down into the poverty many of them were raised in. That's not how a stable (through generations) upper middle class or middle class family is created. Even if their kids become pro athletes themselves, that is still not something that can be counted on to continue the family's middle class (or higher) standing in future generations.

Sports-created wealth should be used, at a minimum, to provide the resources to create a solid middle class life for the players' descendants, but I never hear of any of their kids doing anything.

Comments

• God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #WHOGIVESAFUCK?
  • Undefeatable
    Options
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dammit you made a point at the end though.

I mean you see other races and cultures ,once they get some money they build on it spread the wealth make communities stronger...as blacks we really are selfish and live in the now too much, this ain't those Black Wall Street days anymore son
  • Undefeatable
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    Read-not-Read-NeNe-Leakes-GIF-RHOA.gif

no ?

lol. it was the only 'read' gif i could find. there were a lot of 'did not read' ones though.
  • Undefeatable
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Dammit you made a point at the end though.

I mean you see other races and cultures ,once they get some money they build on it spread the wealth make communities stronger...as blacks we really are selfish and live in the now too much, this ain't those Black Wall Street days anymore son

That would be even better than what I'm saying. But what I'm saying is that, at a minimum, they should doing what it takes to permanently take their own families (including future generations) out of anything even close to poverty.
  • vince_vince
    vince_vince Members Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    co-sign thread.

these athletes only leave the ghetto physically, mentally they are still there and most likely if not themselves their kids gonna end up broke again.

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Um...I can understand and respect your opinion but at the end of the day its not up to any one black family to "uplift" the race. In keeping with the athlete theme: It's a team effort.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You'll have to do some research. IDK why you think you'd just hear an update on a pro athlete's seeds unless they're following in their parent's "sports/entertainment" industry footsteps. That's the society we live in (as far as what types of things are deemed worthy of exposure). You're not gonna get a news update on some old NBA's player's son being some nondescript investment banker.
  • Undefeatable
    edited June 2013
    Options
    co-sign thread.

these athletes only leave the ghetto physically, mentally they are still there and most likely if not themselves their kids gonna end up broke again.

More or less what I fear.
  • Undefeatable
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Um...I can understand and respect your opinion but at the end of the day its not up to any one black family to "uplift" the race. In keeping with the athlete theme: It's a team effort.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm saying that, at a minimum, they should uplift their own families (including their descendants down the line) to a secure middle class position that doesn't rely on sports or entertainment.
  • vince_vince
    vince_vince Members Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options
    1of1 wrote: »
    You'll have to do some research. IDK why you think you'd just hear an update on a pro athlete's seeds unless they're following in their parent's "sports/entertainment" industry footsteps. That's the society we live in (as far as what types of things are deemed worthy of exposure). You're not gonna get a news update on some old NBA's player's son being some nondescript investment banker.

you dont have to that far down the family tree when you know that 60% of all nba players and 80% of all nfl players are broke 5 years after retirement.

• Undefeatable
    Options

Good point, but I have been looking. Post some info if you know of any.
  • Undefeatable
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Jamal Mashburn is definitely setting an example a lot of athletes could follow. I think he has one kid...

This article is from Jan. 2012:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201201/nba-all-star-monster-mash-owner

It's mind-blowing how many stories about former superstar athletes involve bankruptcy. An estimated 60 percent of former NBA players are penniless within five years after hanging up their sneakers. But this is the tale of a one-time NBA star who has built his riches.

Jamal Mashburn earned more than $75 million before his career was cut short by a serious knee injury. But he has put together a powerful post-basketball business dossier which includes 37 Papa John's pizza restaurants, 30 Outback Steakhouses, two car dealerships and a real estate company in the state of Kentucky.

Mashburn and former Kentucky coach Rick Pitino (who is now at Louisville) are partners in Ol Memorial Stable, which owns Kentucky Derby prospect Buffalo Man, along with Outback Steakhouse co-founder and Kentucky grad Chris T. Sullivan.

"For me, being in business is always something I wanted to do. When I was a kid riding on trains in New York, I saw older people carrying a briefcase. I was always curious what was in them. That's probably my original inspiration," Mashburn told China Daily.

"I had talent as a basketball player, so I used it as a vehicle to open doors and meet people. I am not a guy who wants to be a one-night wonder. I want to continue my legacy as a businessman. It gives people a chance to see me as more than just a former pro athlete."

Mashburn, who worked as a broadcaster for ESPN after his playing career, thinks the lessons he learned in the NBA have helped him in the world of big business.

"They are very similar," he said. "I trained hard to prepare for every game as a basketball player; as a businessman I do a lot of research. I was versatile on the court, and I now have my hands in fast food, car and real estate businesses."
    Owning restaurants is nice, but Mashburn has big dreams of becoming an NBA owner. He's spoken several times with commissioner David Stern about being part of a group to buy the New Orleans Hornets from the league.

"I can be an asset to a team as an owner, not only for my ability to scout talent, but also understand the business side of things. The first all-star of the Hornets comes back to buy the team, it's going to be a great story," Mashburn said.

Although this is about an athlete and not their kids, it is relevant. I would be surprised if his kid didn't make something out of him or herself. I still believe though that most of these dudes are not doing what it takes to ensure that their descendants can live lives firmly ensconced in the middle class (or higher). And that's troubling, because sports should be a means of permanently lifting your family out of poverty.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. I wish you guys knew what read meant

2. This line of thinking keeps people stagnant, you can move forward waiting for someone else to make a difference
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm proud of Jamal Mashburn's successes n/h

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ether all around
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭