'Edge' magazine cover tells readers to choose PS4 over Xbox One

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in IllGaming
'Edge' magazine cover tells readers to choose PS4 over Xbox One

Published Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 11:48 BST | By Matthew Reynolds

Edge magazine has sided with PlayStation 4 over Xbox One with its latest cover.

The August issue of the industry publication features an image of the PlayStation 4 with the headline: "This is your next console."

gaming-edgemagazine-ps3.jpg

It also details a feature explaining "how Microsoft blew it" and "Xbox One's road to ruin".

"We detail how Sony crushed Microsoft at E3 2013 and why PS4 is your next console in the new issue of Edge magazine," read a description of the issue.

Reaction to the cover has seen 'Edge' trending on Twitter in the UK this morning (July 2).

Edge was crowned best 'Games Magazine' in the 2012 Games Media Awards.

A Microsoft executive recently said that comparisons between Xbox One and PS4 were "pointless".

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a494952/edge-magazine-cover-tells-readers-to-choose-ps4-over-xbox-one.html

Comments

• KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If the DRM reversal never happened, I would support this cover. It did, though. So all that's separating the console are a price point and tech specs that won't even be touched upon except for exclusives.

Basically, it's a reboot of the current generation where multiplats will look pretty much identical and the exclusives will do something exclusive-y. To throw journalistic integrity out the window on what can only be more speculation is ? business.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is much more seperating them than price.PS4 like PS3 and PS2 before it are just plsin better and PS+ will have everything and more that Live has a long with more free games for subscribers. Other Halo thete is no reason to buy an Xbox.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they're showing the best of E3 I'm pretty sure most of the games they'll be showing will be Xbox games.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a top of the line PC will do way more than a console
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »

it should since it costs more to build and maintain
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Except have the games that are exclusive to consoles.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wish someone would invent emulators
    that would be dope if there was a way to play console exclusives on computers yo
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Of course it willl... I.have a gaming rig but I still prefer my.xbox.....to Karl download Happy Wars ..? fun
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

• kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2psf3md.jpg

thats a skewed comparison tho... thats a late gen ps3 game, PLUS its a naughty dog game.. they always ? on everything... one could easily show halo 4 on 360 and then some random ? looking ps4 game.. (if they even showed actual gameplay )
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    2psf3md.jpg

thats a skewed comparison tho... thats a late gen ps3 game, PLUS its a naughty dog game.. they always ? on everything... one could easily show halo 4 on 360 and then some random ? looking ps4 game.. (if they even showed actual gameplay )

It's still pretty impressive though, especially since, if I'm not mistaken, it was revealed that the XB1 games were running on a high end PC and not the actual XB1 system.
  • Broddie
    Options
    That pic is why I don't take fanboys seriously. As an unbiased party I could tell you that the most significant differences is in the lighting and the shaders. Look at the rock on the Titanfall pic and look as the tree in the Uncharted one. The rock is just as detailed and textured even in this unfinished state.

Naughty went with a more vibrant and colorful aesthetic and the use of light, colors and shaders reflects that. Titanfall's team went with a more muted and desolate aesthetic noticeable by the mist in the air and the dull & plain urban greyish appearance. See how the leaves are darker and look more weathered as they would in an environment where they're exposed to so much pollution as opposed to a natural environment for them like in Uncharted which has them looking greener, fuller and healthier.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. The Uncharted pic just looks flat out better than the Titanfall pic. That doesn't mean the PS3 has anywhere near the capability of the XB1. We all know it doesn't, but it's a little silly to try and boil down the differences to Titanfall going for a dulled pollution laced look and Uncharted going for a vibrant natural look.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2013
    Options
    What I'm talking about is visible to the naked eye. The shaders and lighting in Uncharted were used to project a bright and sunny environment where as the shaders in the other game were used to produce a bleaker environment. Which is why one looks more visually vibrant than the other I mean no ? , they're meant to create completely different visual effects with that approach. It's a stupid comparison for that reason alone. I mean the Uncharted one even has a blur effect in the background for extra ambiance while Titanfall is using a mist effect for the same reason.

Not that it would've been less stupid but if they really wanted a bit more credibility they could've easily found a PS3 game with a bleaker and more muted visual appearance to compare it to. There was one that came out as far back as 3 weeks ago. In terms of actual textures and models there are no glaring differences. In the end you have an unfinished and unpolished game created during a consoles early days that has similar textures to a finished and polished game created during a consoles twilight years. That right there tells you that clearly the next gen systems are packing serious muscle out the box.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Hell the difference in draw distance between both pics clearly lets you know which system has more horsepower. But of course fanboys never use logic before making sensational statements; they tend to always ignorantly jump the gun.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Hey, I agree it's stupid to try and use those pics as any kind of comparison between the capabilities of the two systems. I just also think its silly to look at those two pics and act as if the Uncharted pic doesn't simply look better. Foliage is foliage. The leaves in the background of the Uncharted pic look better and more lifelike than the grass in the Titanfall pic. And I'm not talking about color. I'm talking about the way everything looks. I simply don't agree that you can boil the difference in quality down the environmental style presented in each game.
  • Broddie
    edited July 2013
    Options
    "Foilage is foilage."

anonymous+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+170+at+_e955cb1a73c18a5c7c75716847c6c841.jpg

Now that's silly. There are different types of plants. Grass doesn't look like leaves and vice versa. Grass like leaves also grows less green in environments where they get less sun and water. Like say a post apocalyptic cyberpunk urban environment like the one Titanfall takes place in. When I see the grass in Titanfall I see dull colored grass with individual blades I don't see pixilated ? with no detail. When I look at the Uncharted 3 pic I see blurry leaves in the background which is there due to the heat wave effect that blurs the back drop. I don't see more or less detail in either.

I don't even care about Titanfall. I'm not really following it though I have read articles about it here and there and I do know that unlike Naughty Dog Respawn is making this game for more than one platform (timed exclusive Sony fans). So they won't be able to take full advantage of the architecture in either one really unlike ND. Secondly ND coded that game after they had known the PS3 architecture in and out. Xbox One architecture is still a newborn and I doubt something Respawn of all studios will fully be able to exploit early on. There are so many fallacies in that comparison. If I were to play devil's advocate I'd have used this image instead

Titanfall_E3_014.jpg

Now there you clearly see what I was talking about earlier in this post. Different types of plants. You have ferns, grass, leaves and flowers and they all have different textures and lighting and shading and coloring. However you also see some of it looks very glitchy and pixilated (ie: the leaves at the foreground, the patch of grass next to the threatening character). Now how much of that is due to this being an unfinished and unpolished game at the moment and that being a low resolution image I don't know. But that right there that would've been a more credible form of trolling than the pic they actually went with but fanboys are so incompetent they can't even troll right.

Bottom line is when I do see gaming sites mention this game they say nothing but great things about it. I'm not into it myself but if it's considered a great looking game by people who get paid to say whether it looks great or not and have played the thing at this point I'd take their word over biased fanboys who never have played a demo of it..

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    And the ferns in that pic still don't look more lifelike that the leaves in the Uncharted pic. We can agree to disagree. At some point what looks better will be subjective. We agree that the point people are trying to make with the pics is stupid, and that's all that matters.