Boston Celtics hire Brad Stevens as Coach

Options
Rasta.
Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
We're definitely rebuilding from the ground up...good or bad move?
http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9448871/brad-stevens-hired-boston-celtics-head-coach

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics have hired Butler's Brad Stevens as head coach.

The team and the university made the announcement Wednesday afternoon. He will be introduced at a news conference on Friday morning.

More on the Celtics

Keep on top of the Green throughout the offseason with ESPNBoston.com's Chris Forsberg. Blog

• Send Chris a question

Stevens has spent the past six years as the head coach of Butler, twice leading the Bulldogs to the NCAA championship game.

Stevens replaces Doc Rivers, who was acquired by the Los Angeles Clippers.

"Brad and I share a lot of the same values," Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said. "Though he is young, I see Brad as a great leader who leads with impeccable character and a strong work ethic. His teams always play hard and execute on both ends of the court. Brad is a coach who has already enjoyed lots of success, and I look forward to working with him toward Banner 18."

Stevens, who led Butler to two consecutive appearances in the NCAA championship game, had extended his contract with the Bulldogs through 2021-22.

"Our family is thrilled for the opportunity given to us by the leadership of the Boston Celtics, but it is emotional to leave a place that we have called home for the past 13 years," Stevens said.

Stevens led the Bulldogs to a 166-49 record, including a 12-5 record in the NCAA tournament. Stevens also earned four conference regular-season championships, three league tournament titles and six trips to postseason tournament play. His 166 wins are the most for any NCAA Division I basketball coach over the first six years to start a career.

Butler is set to enter its first year as a member of the reconfigured Big East.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.