themadlionsfan
themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
Google rumoured to be creating games console
Search engine giant may be working on rival to Apple TV
Words: GamesRadar Staff on June 28, 2013
35 Comments
Email

Share / Save

According to a report by the Wall Street Journal, software behemoth Google is planning to release a games console. The article claims that the console will be Android powered, and will act as a direct rival to Apple, who is allegedly making plans to launch a similar Apple TV device that will play games.

The report also suggests that, in addition to the console, Google is also working on a cutting-edge wristwatch, which will allow users to play media on the move. We already know that Google has a second version of the Android powered, Nexus-Q in development.

What does all this mean for us? Microsoft and Sony have both made it clear that their respective consoles are aiming to dominate the living room by being much more than just 'games players'. If this report is accurate, it looks like there will be a little more competition for space under your TV, although Google's console is unlikely to play true next-generation games--its Android architecture is currently built for tablet / phone style titles. Nintendo isn't safe either. A media-enabled wristwatch could provide competition for their handheld devices.

Even more intriguing, The Wall Street Journal piece suggests that one of Google's devices could be available as early as autumn 2013.

Both Google and Apple have declined to comment.

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ouya
    GameStick
    MOJO
    Google System...

GameStick looks DOA but MOJO has the potential to ? the Ouya if Mad Catz doesn't ? it up.
    But a Google System though....man all those systems would be dead
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    mojo supposedly gonna have a tegra 4 processor. hope they keep the price low.
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Catz on the record of stating its probably over 100...hopefully its 125 or less or otherwise I might pass, Tegra 4 does seem dope for developers though and running stock Android lets you access Google Play which is great.

Problem though is that many games aren't controller accessible though I heard Android has a built-in API just for controller support so its probably a quick fix. But eh w/e enjoying my Ouya right now so I don't go no worries
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if all these new little machines ended up dead on arrival or soon after. I guess Ouya's doing alright so far but I'll be shocked if that ? lasts. I didn't even know that Mad Catz is trying a console. I know they make great fightsticks but that's it. As a third party manufacturer, they were never even able to make reliable controllers or peripherals, now they're trying a gaming system? Good luck with that.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is only room in the gaming industry for 3 real consoles everything else is a joke.
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is a sick joke
  • Stomp Johnson
    Stomp Johnson Members, Writer Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Google is the real Umbrella Corp. They're already in my phone and email. Stay the ? away from my video games.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Google is the real Umbrella Corp. They're already in my phone and email. Stay the ? away from my video games.

For real tho lol.

I give Google another 10 or so years before they have completely monopolized technology as we know it. Them ? just got they finger in entirely too much ? beyond what they originally were.....a search engine.