The Omni

Options
Recaptimus_Prime360
Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wasn't sure if this was ever discussed. I just happened to come across this article

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/virtual-reality-treadmill-races-past-kickstarter-goal-3-5-hours-6C10193219

Do you something like this being in the households of gamers? Honestly, I like the idea of playing a shooter, an feeling like I'm in the game. But I see the downside to to this is the out of shape folks who'll be gasping for air. and damn near passing out.

What's ya'll thoughts on this?

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm waiting to see if the Oculus Rift catches on first.

Looks like a lot of fun. It's another excuse for people to blame murders on games too.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, I can see this in households. Folks are gonna be drenched down in sweat playin COD. Lol
  • Karl.
    Options
    You'd probably get so caught up in the thing and end up diving off it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder what they are trying to do with this. Are they trying to make this Omni+Rift setup a potential console of its own, or are they trying to make it a big peripheral setup for consoles like the PS4 and XB1. With the Omni starting out at 250 and the Rift likely costing more, it seems they would be too much to be just a peripheral. If I were them, I'd try to market them initially to theme parks. An Arcade with a bunch of these linked together letting play together for a while would be pretty cool. They could have a FPS, a FP fantasy/adventure type game, a racing game, and a boxing game or something similar. It would be the perfect way for them to test out and perfect the technology while also generating interest in it.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Am I right in saying the Oculus Rift works in conjunction with Kinect?
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Am I right in saying the Oculus Rift works in conjunction with Kinect?

Does it? I honestly don't see what benefit the Kinect or Move would given that the Rift itself already immerses you in the world. What would the Kinect add to it? I guess, they could be use to track your movement and sync it with the movement displayed in the Rift, but that would be stupid because your movement would be highly limited. You're much better off either having something like Omni. Even the Move would be better given that it already has peripherals that could be synced to the Rift and control movement.

Edit: After a quick check, you're right. People have gotten the Rift to work with the Kinect, largely because the people using the Rift right now are mostly developers on PCs and the Kinect is more readily compatible with PCs.

That said, seems like the people behind the Rift hope to have it attached to the PS4 and XB1 eventually. I would guess that means they are looking for Kinect and Move compatibility.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/11/oculus-rift-ceo-would-like-to-see-ps4-and-xbox-one-compatibility-down-the-line/

Both would be pretty cool honestly.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Yea. I don't know much about just watched a video a while back and saw them using a kinect.

Would be cool to look down and see your feet in the game and be able to see your hands if you lifted them infront of your face.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    Yea. I don't know much about just watched a video a while back and saw them using a kinect.

Would be cool to look down and see your feet in the game and be able to see your hands if you lifted them infront of your face.

Yeah, the Kinect would be cool for that. I still think if they really tried to push the Rift with the Kinect, they'd eventually have to introduce something like the Move controller or the kinds of games they could offer with the setup would be real limited.