EA Sports Raises Prices For Games To $80 For Next Gen

Options
PSN-Canibuss
PSN-Canibuss Members Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
The United Kingdom based retail outlet, GAME, has verified that the price of next-gen titles from Electronic Arts for the PlayStation 4 (and presumably the Xbox One) will be raised from £39.99 to £54.99. Development costs and all that jazz.

The news comes courtesy of GAME themselves in a Q&A about the next generation of home console gaming. Tech Radar caught wind of the Q&A, where GAME rolls out the pricing of next-gen titles, stating...
At present, the only publisher to confirm costs of their next generation games are EA, attaching a price of £54.99. No other game prices have been confirmed. We will of course update our listings as and when this happens. And if the price changes before release day, you will always pay the lowest price.

Oh bother me bad and color me blind; that's a blimey high price.

In American speak we're looking at games from Electronic Arts costing $80 a pop. Can you believe that? Actually, it's not hard to believe at all.

Keep in mind that EA is always scheming for ways to raise the cost of the initial purchase. Remember how proud EA was of getting people to lay down $80 a pop for Mass Effect 3 last year? Remember how excited they were to cancel the Online Pass when Microsoft unveiled their unbelievably daft digital rights management system for the Xbox One? Now remember how coy EA became at E3 when Sony dropped the pro-consumer hammer of righteous justice and put all the top dog publishers in their place when they said the PS4 wasn't going to be carrying the venereal disease of interactive entertainment known as disc-based DRM?

Well, there's a reason Peter Moore didn't have an answer for the Dorito Pope at this year's E3 when he was asked about how they would approach the DRM situation following Sony's DRM ban-hammer. It's because they had to find a way to double-dip in the honey ? , especially following Microsoft's Xbox 180 maneuver.

At this junction, however, it's become rather obvious how one of the biggest players on the field will try to re-adjust for the costs and expenses: They're simply going to hike up the price of entry, development costs be damned.

Now it's easy to say “Inflation this” and “Inflation that”, but realistically Sony had already outlined that prices on their end weren't changing for the PS4, with games either being free or priced between $0.99 and $60 as a cap. It's not like wages have gone up to match the living expenses and Sony seems to understand that.

I imagine EA's excuse will be their Ignite Engine and Frostbite 3... even though, technically, we've been seeing this kind of technology on high-end PC games for the last couple of years. But, bringing it to consoles obviously raises prices, right?

What's more is that the AAA methodology of blow-out-our-budget-on-a-Hollywood-wannabe-game needs to go away. The Cliffy B mindset needs to go extinct right now. We're just not in a climate where publishers need to be throwing money around at silly ideas and expecting consumers to pick up the tab in poorly produced products. THQ learned that the hard way.

Even more than that, budgets need to be curtailed to the experience. No one is necessarily asking for “bigger” games with lesser gameplay, people just want want fun games. And last I checked, you don't need $100 million to make a fun game -cough-Minecraft-cough-.

More than anything, I suspect smart core gamers will rally their funds and only spend it where it deserves to go, as opposed to forking over cash they don't have just so a company can keep spending money into bankruptcy like Enron, Worldcom and the auto industry before the bailout.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/EA-Raises-Prices-Next-Gen-Games-54-99-57437.html

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thank ? i dont play madden. Ill gladly wait till fifa goes down
  • Squidward Tentacles
    Squidward Tentacles Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Options
    looks like i won't be buying new maddens until the 3rd price drop instead of the 2nd now.
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol... haven't owned an EA Sports game since NBA Live 04.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If true it won't last long sports video game fans will put a hit out Donnie Moore if something like that happens!!!
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    swear to ? everybody involved in creating games and/or game consoles are money hungry leaches... ? I hate capitalism
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    swear to ? everybody involved in creating games and/or game consoles are money hungry leaches... ? I hate capitalism
    No you don't.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Yeah madden 25 will be the last ea purchase
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lets go thru the steps now ........

* complain complain yadda yadda blood pressure spike complain fuss fume cry ......... purchase game anyway *
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's more is that the AAA methodology of blow-out-our-budget-on-a-Hollywood-wannabe-game needs to go away.

We're just not in a climate where publishers need to be throwing money around at silly ideas and expecting consumers to pick up the tab in poorly produced products.

Even more than that, budgets need to be curtailed to the experience. No one is necessarily asking for “bigger” games with lesser gameplay, people just want want fun games.

i concur
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman. wrote: »
    No you don't.

? before I Bane your punk ass...
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »

* complain complain yadda yadda blood pressure spike complain fuss fume cry ......... purchase game anyway *

for some people but if they ? enough in this new politically correct instant social media backlash era they will be on some microsoft xbox one ? and might change. Video games this gen are at the mercy of the average or semi ? gamer who is growing up and doesn't wanna put up with some slight bs like price raises and what was going to be an extra fee for used games.

If people stop buying EA sports games (especailly a sorry ass version of nba live they trina drop) then they will loose more money. Yeah a few ea/madden dickriders buy an $80 game but if they have lower sales even at a higher pricepoint they might catch an L and have to lower.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

for some people but if they ? enough in this new politically correct instant social media backlash era they will be on some microsoft xbox one ? and might change. Video games this gen are at the mercy of the average or semi ? gamer who is growing up and doesn't wanna put up with some slight bs like price raises and what was going to be an extra fee for used games.

If people stop buying EA sports games (especailly a sorry ass version of nba live they trina drop) then they will loose more money. Yeah a few ea/madden dickriders buy an $80 game but if they have lower sales even at a higher pricepoint they might catch an L and have to lower.

I honestly don't believe they can pull it off but let them drop the new Battlefield and FIFA with next gen launch and they sell like the last ones you can see other companies jumping on it too.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im still running my franchise in year 2023 on madden 10, im good
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Haven't gotten a madden game since the ps2 days I think. And rarely played the first Nba 2k game for the ps3
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wtf

They will regret this
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They better stop with yearly updates then
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

I honestly don't believe they can pull it off but let them drop the new Battlefield and FIFA with next gen launch and they sell like the last ones you can see other companies jumping on it too.

those might initially sell but remember you can only make so much sales with the initial early adopters fan base. When its 2 or 3 years into this next gen cycle and they got a fifa game valued at $80 at launch european cats not gon buy the latest and greatest fifa they just gunna play the old one or like last gens cycle they might still be on ps3/360.

And from a competitive advantage if the latest call of duty is at regular european pricing and battlefield is more that will hurt its competition vs rival call of duty in europe. I prefer battlefield's series (been playing since 2002) over the call of duty series but most people think the other way around.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Article said it best, no one is asking for $100 million dollar games. Look at Gears of War. The first one is great. The second, third, and fourth (I'm gonna assume about the fourth), suck ass.

Bottom line: I could see if EA or gaming companies in general sold digital versions of games for a cheaper price point since manufacturing costs are eliminated in the digital realm, but they don't: $60 bucks if I get up, get dressed, drive through traffic, and go to a store and $60 if I hit a button and never leave the house. Fuckery.

EA's been selling ad space in games for years, and even that didn't net the consumer a discount and actually made some games worse. Fight Night Champion is a laggy unplayable mess damn near in multi and stutters all over itself in single when the net is connected. AND they never fixed it.

On top of all that, EA are the kings of selling incomplete games and tacking on DLC. For $80 out the gate, they shouldn't be allowed to release DLC. I bought FNC and then had to spend additional loot for fighters and game modes that should've come with the game. It would be some GOAT ? if Sony and MS reversed the fuckery back on EA and didn't allow them to put ? on the systems without meeting a quality standard. One of the biggest gaming companies in the world, and their games can't hold up to serious playing but they want to be all up in your pockets.

? a 80.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Sony will play it safe at first because they have no choice (their company is on the brink and needs something to work) but after they return to profitability they gonna follow suit. Microsoft is gonna milk this ? dry watch and see. I'm not sure how Nintendo will react to such a change, I mean I walked by a store and seen Mario Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess STILL selling for $49.99 it's been what 5 and 3 years ? Since they dropped ? SMMFH, I imagine Nintendo at some point would join the fray too since they know people will pay top dollar for their games.

Funny thing is, I have no problem with Nintendo since they're still selling the games at PSX prices and don't release garbage. Most developers would assassinate your whole family to have Nintendo's worst game under their belt.

They sold N64 games at $60 back in the day because of cartridge costs, switched to discs to save money, and passed those savings on to consumers on the next console. Everybody else stayed disc-based but somehow hiked the price.

This is why all the Console War ? is ? in the end: dualing products with similar specs usually drive prices down not the reverse. PS2/Xbox games = $60 dollars. Gamecube = $50. PS3/Xbox360 games = $60 dollars. Wii = $50.

The sheer swing in hardware adopters for even a $5 reduction in game cost would net more profits. I swear the ? is rigged.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Sony will play it safe at first because they have no choice (their company is on the brink and needs something to work) but after they return to profitability they gonna follow suit. Microsoft is gonna milk this ? dry watch and see. I'm not sure how Nintendo will react to such a change, I mean I walked by a store and seen Mario Galaxy 2 and Twilight Princess STILL selling for $49.99 it's been what 5 and 3 years ? Since they dropped ? SMMFH, I imagine Nintendo at some point would join the fray too since they know people will pay top dollar for their games.

But sion here is the thing the console is struggling sales are dropping more people are using gamefly/used games/etc. and looking at the Wii U launch demand is sharply down for this current gen compaired to the last 2 gens. At the same time games that are apps for smart phones like candy crush words with friends etc. are flying off the shelves.

So that is why the video game market is in jeaporady are turning away comsumers who will just end up playing handheld moble games over the latest console thriller. This is excatly why xbox change their tune in a historic move for an actual console to change something because of backlash. This is why sony and microsoft can't afford to have games not sell and they not make their cut of game sales revenue even if they get slightly more per game they sell. And nintendo which financially is in the best condition only is just raising games up to $60.

If consumers ? and complain and actually don't buy as many games due to price i think we could win as consumers and keep the price at $60.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    even if you like nintendo or ps3 better the fact xbox took away that used game bs is a win for all consumers. cause now we really gon see which 3rd party companies are the greediest. i said in an earlier thread i knew EA was most likely ? the most about getting extra fees from used games or any other revenue stream. Hell they already got that code for each game so if you buy used you can't play online. i ? with the EA NHL and on occasain NCAA football but outside of that 2k sports and the sony in house mlb the show series i ? with for all other games.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6Q_QyPxwKDQdB3qLDcQmr5zil-MmiaQxdQBHliBdoAmEnAzFDhw

$80 ?!!!!

The ? is this price rising ? .....if nba2k my player and madden still ? ain't worth tha,t ? and stop with the ? dlc...dlc will make $80 into $200 for one ? game

• MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

But sion here is the thing the console is struggling sales are dropping more people are using gamefly/used games/etc. and looking at the Wii U launch demand is sharply down for this current gen compaired to the last 2 gens. At the same time games that are apps for smart phones like candy crush words with friends etc. are flying off the shelves.

So that is why the video game market is in jeaporady are turning away comsumers who will just end up playing handheld moble games over the latest console thriller. This is excatly why xbox change their tune in a historic move for an actual console to change something because of backlash. This is why sony and microsoft can't afford to have games not sell and they not make their cut of game sales revenue even if they get slightly more per game they sell. And nintendo which financially is in the best condition only is just raising games up to $60.

If consumers ? and complain and actually don't buy as many games due to price i think we could win as consumers and keep the price at $60.

Yo that's a very strong point, I gotta cosign this. I guess there's still hope then. It's the younger up & coming generation and the casual "on the subway/bus" gamers that's buying up the mobile games. That's gonna be a huge market. Yo I think MSFT could've gotten away with their proposal if they didn't try to throw on too much change at once. It can really go both ways, but I would hope tho that consumers would adopt that attitude and force game companies to yield.

Yeah i really hope fanboys and casual gamers of all consoles will unite to expect more from consoles. Sony and MS and slightly Nintendo are loving the fact people are fighting over which system is the best and so on. They want to divide and conquer. They want even sony stans to fight sony stans for the last console release night because that means they have the power. But if just a few thousand ? must have the console first day gamers step back and wait a year or refuse to buy a game at price X the game companies are ? .

And as far as the youngn's (im 22 so people 5 to 10 years younger than that) they started out being more fans of nintendo DS back in the day now they on the cell phone. My cuz has a 5 year old and at age 3 and a half knew how the play angry birds and ? . So i think as cats like me have more of a social life and less ? gaming and these youger kids grow up we will see the impact.

Kids will always play call of duty or halo or metal gear but i think the numbers might die down should prices go up.
  • blackkevblazini
    blackkevblazini Members Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is gonna be paying Neo Geo cartridge money for games if they keep that ? up.