Wal-Mart Will Walk Away From DC If Forced To Pay Workers “Living Wage”

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
By GABRIELLE BLUESTONE

Wal-Mart is threatening to walk away from at least three planned sites in the District of Columbia after DC lawmakers voted to require the megastore and other large nonunion retailers to provide workers with a mimimum "living wage" of $12.50 an hour.

Despite recent efforts to garner good press for the company, Wal-Mart warned legislators last week that if they imposed the living wage, they would walk away from the sites where construction has not yet begun. Alex Barron, a regional general manager for Wal-Mart U.S., also warned the legislation would jeopardize the construction of three stores that is already underway. The legislation passed on Wednesday.

All in all, the new Wal-Marts would bring about 1,800 jobs to DC. DC Mayor Vincent Gray, who lives a half-mile from the Skyland shopping center in Southeast DC, where one of the new Wal-Marts was supposed to be constructed, must decide whether or not to veto the bill. Nine Council members would be required to override a mayoral veto; the bill passed the Council 8-5.

The bill requires retailers with corporate sales of $1 billion or more, operating in spaces 75,000 square feet or larger, to pay employees a minimum of $12.50 an hour; $4.25 more than DC's current minimum wage. While the bill would apply to other large retailers, like Home Depot and Costco, there are grandfather and union exceptions that make it clear the legislation is targeting Wal-Mart, according to the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/as-wal-mart-threatens-to-walk-whats-next-for-a-dying-shopping-center/2013/07/13/6923faa8-eb19-11e2-a301-ea5a8116d211_story.html?hpid=z9

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/wal-mart-says-it-will-pull-out-of-dc-plans-should-city-mandate-living-wage/2013/07/09/4fa7e710-e8d0-11e2-a301-ea5a8116d211_story.html

Comments

• bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I hope I don't have to work there. I will take burger king or dions over that ?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let em go. The audacity of then believing they can blackmail people.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I worked at Wal-Mart my freshman year. The average store makes anywhere from $100,000 to $150,000 a day. They're so full of ? .
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    3 Walmart's in DC sounds excessive. ? there's only one Target.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    Wal-Mart Will Walk Away From DC If Forced To Pay Workers “Living Wage”

no they wont LOL
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    Options
    Allergens wrote: »
    I feel them...? 12.50 is too much for the type of service i get from wal-mart staffers,..when im forced to go there...? me reminds me of circuit city b4 they went down in flames..you walk into a circuit city, all their staff will be by the front door, soon as you make eye contact, them ? scatter like roaches...i see why best buy employees eating though..them ? dont leave you lone,be like "I SAID LET ME TALK TO MY WIFE BOUT IT!!!....? !!"

cost of living tho

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel them...? 12.50 is too much for the type of service i get from wal-mart staffers,..when im forced to go there...? me reminds me of circuit city b4 they went down in flames..you walk into a circuit city, all their staff will be by the front door, soon as you make eye contact, them ? scatter like roaches...i see why best buy employees eating though..them ? dont leave you lone,be like "I SAID LET ME TALK TO MY WIFE BOUT IT!!!....? !!"

? not here u gotta hunt a mf down to get service...best buys here are all like tht..? gotta walk thru tha store like HELLO! ANYBODY WRK IN THIS ? !

But wal marts gives 0 ? about there wrkers
  • SOWETO
    SOWETO Members Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Slim85
    Slim85 Members Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Walmart is one of the reasons the economy is so ? up. Undertaxed, and they have the largest amount of employees on gov't assistance. Not to mention mom and pop stores that end up closing once they come to town. ? them.
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Posted in this thread by accident....but Target > Walmart all day
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Walmart stay pimpin
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    we still going to have 3 of them ? ; when we only needed one..also they failed to disclose that while wal-mart has been lobbying to get in to dc; one of the points they made was that they were going to pay employees $11.50/hr
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea eventually they will come to an agreement...Skyland needs that wal mart badly...a lot of unemployed folks around the way looking for something...wal mart isn't the greatest but they bringing jobs to part of the city no other company/and or the government will...but that 12.5 is needed b/c they pricing ? out of every section of the city

Wal mart more upset about how the DC politicians played them...once ego settle down ? will be good
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they dont need no ? Walmart anyway... it'll just make the local economy worse...
  • LurkdogAchilles
    LurkdogAchilles Members Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Wal-Mart

cosign
    necessary evil though. can't beat them grocery prices
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Slim85 wrote: »
    Walmart is one of the reasons the economy is so ? up. Undertaxed, and they have the largest amount of employees on gov't assistance. Not to mention mom and pop stores that end up closing once they come to town. ? them.

Watched a documentary on Wal-Mart and how they destroy the local economies of small towns. They had video of corporate guys driving through towns they were planning on opening a new location in talking about how easy they could put each of the mom and pop stores out of business. It was disgusting to listen to.

• BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    So instead of low paying jobs for a few thousand people, there may be no money and no jobs for a few thousand people. Sounds like a win for stupidity. SMH
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    I can't stand Wal-Mart

Every single time I go into one.... which is not often... it just ? me off
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    AP12 wrote: »

dead @ the bolded...

but eff them too...

my wife asked a dude the other day "whats the difference between the galaxy note tablet and the galaxy tab?" his response "one's a tab and the other one is the note"

my reaction

attachment.php?attachmentid=6308&d=1367248498&thumb=1

bruh u aint lyin!..MFs be having attitudes when u ask a question ..like ? its your job to answer my questions

@mssouthern

i agree i stopped goin to walmart for that reason even tho i got one close to me i drive the extra miles to target for the better service...gm btw
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    Options
    Vader wrote: »
    AP12 wrote: »

dead @ the bolded...

but eff them too...

my wife asked a dude the other day "whats the difference between the galaxy note tablet and the galaxy tab?" his response "one's a tab and the other one is the note"

my reaction

attachment.php?attachmentid=6308&d=1367248498&thumb=1

bruh u aint lyin!..MFs be having attitudes when u ask a question ..like ? its your job to answer my questions

@mssouthern

i agree i stopped goin to walmart for that reason even tho i got one close to me i drive the extra miles for the better service...gm btw

Good Morning to you too

I stick with HEB and Target..... there is nothing Wal-Mart has that they don't.

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man i ? wit walmart.. yall trippin..
    i got house party 1 AND 2 thanx to walmart.. 3 and 4 came wittit.. but who gives a ? ..

got all the nightmare on elms too..
  • DOC H0LL!DAY
    DOC H0LL!DAY Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wal-Mart is one of the worse shopping experiences ever! Employee's who aren't familiar with the store or its products. Overzealous ? at the door that get paid to hi-lite a receipt. Too many ratchet hoes working and shopping there. Long lines, poor customers service, poor work ethic and the list goes on. Never again!