"The day of the geechee is gone boy,...."

Options
Disciplined InSight
Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in Lights, Camera, Action!
A Soldier's Story=classic movie. If anyone hasn't seen the movie needs to watch it..

Them Nazis ain't all crazy. Whole lot of people just can't seem to fit in to where things seem to be going. Like you, CJ. See, the Black race can't afford you no more. There used to be a time, we'd see someone like you singin', clownin', yassuh-bossin'... and we wouldn't do anything. Folks liked that. You were good. ? kind of ? . When they needed somebody to mistreat, call a name or two, they paraded you. Reminded them of the good old days. Not no more. The day of the geechee is gone, boy. And you're going with it.

Comments

• THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think good old Sargeant Waters was jealous of C.J.

C.J. wasnt a sellout, he was talented and had all the ? .

And thats how a lot of these uppity ass ? look at a lot of us. C.J. wasnt the problem, you need C.J.s to rock the white man to sleep. Sarge should have talked to C.J. and showed him the game.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Disciplined InSight
    Options
    I always loved this movie..didn't get the deeper meaning of it when I was younger, but now that I'm older I appreciate it more.

Sgt. Waters (played by Adolph Caesar who was Oscar nominated for that role R.I.P.) hated Blacks that were from the South based on their speech and intellect because he felt they didn't fit in the advancement of the Black race back in those days. So basically C.J. from Waters' assumption was "acting, talking and thinking like a ? ".

Waters wanted the respect/admiration of Whites so bad that he was willing to do anything to get into their circle, but at the same time he was in a conflict where he hated a part of himself and wanted to bury that, basically putting himself as an Uncle Tom. So you're right @CheifThird..Waters should've put C.J. on game but did it the wrong way..he just belittled and disowned his own kind, but there was a method to his madness as to why he felt that way.

"You know the damage one ignorant ? can do?"

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? was hilarious btw I was like is that Moesha s daddy in there snitching
    Lol
  • Disciplined InSight
    edited July 2013
    Options
    C.J. Memphis and Sgt. Waters are the two main polarizing figures in this movie. These two are the main mindsets of Black people today. You're either a C.J. or a Waters.

The geechee are avoiding this thread.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From the thread title alone, I thought you were talking about the episode of "Martin" when he went to court for his traffic ticket.

• BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had to watch this movie my Freshman year of HS in "Black Theater". Dope flick.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    From the thread title alone, I thought you were talking about the episode of "Martin" when he went to court for his traffic ticket.

I just got finish watching that episode too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGn9rEFlWhI
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Love this movie
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I always loved this movie..didn't get the deeper meaning of it when I was younger, but now that I'm older I appreciate it more.

Sgt. Waters (played by Adolph Caesar who was Oscar nominated for that role R.I.P.) hated Blacks that were from the South based on their speech and intellect because he felt they didn't fit in the advancement of the Black race back in those days. So basically C.J. from Waters' assumption was "acting, talking and thinking like a ? ".

Waters wanted the respect/admiration of Whites so bad that he was willing to do anything to get into their circle, but at the same time he was in a conflict where he hated a part of himself and wanted to bury that, basically putting himself as an Uncle Tom. So you're right @CheifThird..Waters should've put C.J. on game but did it the wrong way..he just belittled and disowned his own kind, but there was a method to his madness as to why he felt that way.

"You know the damage one ignorant ? can do?"

They still do that. My friend went down south and came back calling people dumb and slow because of the accents, and both her parents from the Sip.