If your parents taught respect, how come you don't teach respect or require it?

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
growing up I saw alot of adults slappin kids upside they head for being disrespectful. no matter the type of disrespect it was all corrected or your parent was embarrassed.

All i see now is kids allowed to be disrespectful.

I walked into my homies crib and his kids was on the couch play video games. they didnt even acknowledge we came in. since im their non-related uncle. i had them put the game on pause and come an greet us. afterwards, ? looking at me like i was wrong asking why i make the kids do that and that i should allow them to enjoy they summer. all i know is everytime i see them now the make sure they say hello.

another time i was picking up my daughter from her moms and i walk into a room and none of them lil hussies speak. so i make them all speak and then they on some....but why we gotta speak first? i summed it all up with because im an adult and its required respect given if you want it in return.

thing is i saw my homie and my ex grow up and saw they parents was on they ass about respect. but for some reason they dont want to pass it along to they kids.

my dad always told me to address any adult that walks into a room. because if the parent let them in the house then they are a known adult to be respected and you address them. they are not strangers on the street who you don't know.

also why the hell is adults ok with how these kids act? respect goes along way and i'll be damned if i gotta earn a childs respect before they give it.

this is not about generational ? with the 70's kids vs 80's kids. its about why dont people make kids be more respectful and why are more parents ok with they seed embarrassing them?

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They don't dont want they kids killing them :-(

These lil rascals summm else.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why they gotta acknowledge you in a room? I guess when it comes to your kids they should each and every time you passed through the door, that gets repetitive over time. Telling what other people's kids should do is considered disrespect to others as well, so why don't you respect their wishes?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    Why they gotta acknowledge you in a room? I guess when it comes to your kids they should each and every time you passed through the door, that gets repetitive over time. Telling what other people's kids should do is considered disrespect to others as well, so why don't you respect their wishes?

? are you serious?
    When ever you are in a room an some just arrives you dont speak? I call ? or maybe you just ignorant.

Its not about everytime you walk in a room.

So you telling me you call all your homies over...an as they come over you dont at least say whats up or shake they hand as they arrive....thats what ur saying?

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pralims wrote: »

? are you serious?
    When ever you are in a room an some just arrives you dont speak? I call ? or maybe you just ignorant.

So you telling me you call all your homies over...an as they come over you dont at least say whats up or shake they hand as they arrive....thats what ur saying?

He's very serious brah...
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    That's more of a difference in culture than a difference in respect.

Some cultures consider it disrespectful to walk into a house without taking your shoes off. That doesn't mean it's a disrespectful action to walk into any house anywhere without taking your shoes off.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    Since we all grew up together i am aware that we are all in the same culture.
    Now if we were in different cultures i would respect their wishes an cultural differences
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he means he going to kitchen fifty times he gotta say hi fifty times
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i wasn't talking bt u so who's stupid ....? boy
  • Ajackson17
    Options

? are you serious?

If I don't know those people, I don't say ? to them.

I know my friends, so I say hey or whatever, but if it's someone I don't know, than no. Or sometimes I asked them why are you ? here or something like that. I'm pretty rude by American terms.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i wasn't talking bt u so who's stupid ....? boy

My fault ? ...could went either way. Miscommunication....

I "respect" your opinion....lol
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

? are you serious?

I know my friends, so I say hey or whatever, but if it's someone I don't know, than no. Or sometimes I asked them why are you ? here or something like that. I'm pretty rude by American terms.

Damn not even a bit of friendliness. No introduction or nothing...just what the fukk are you doing here huh

yea...good luck with that.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think part of it is that people (smart people anyway) don't blindly teach their kids the same things they were taught just because. If you don't feel that some ? is disrespectful, then why would you teach you kids that it is...even if YOU were taught that as a kid?

The other part of it is that I think often times people are so focused on giving their kids what they didn't have, that they ignore the fact that they should give them the things the DID have as well. Like respect, love, discipline, etc.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I teach my kids respect, honesty and love.

It's a ? job to do so too.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Parents wanna be their kids friends instead of parent. I commend u on how u handled those kids. I was raised the same way.
  • mryounggun
    Options
    As a sidenote, one of the biggest cop outs in the ? world is 'That's just how I was raised.'. A lot of times I feel like people use it as a way to get out of having to examine themselves and ask themselves why they do some of the things that they do.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @mryounggun
    I agree about not blindly teaching your kids something your parents taught you if you don't believe in it. But i think saying hello or some type of greeting is just people being courteous. You don't even have to mean the greeting to be courteous in my opinion either.
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    As a sidenote, one of the biggest cop outs in the ? world is 'That's just how I was raised.'. A lot of times I feel like people use it as a way to get out of having to examine themselves and ask themselves why they do some of the things that they do.

So baring in mind that sexual promiscuity was a taboo the generation before us and it's almost acceptable now, how will you as a parent feel about your daughter being a hoe?

• mryounggun
    Options
    @mryounggun
    I agree about not blindly teaching your kids something your parents taught you if you don't believe in it. But i think saying hello or some type of greeting is just people being courteous. You don't even have to mean the greeting to be courteous in my opinion either.

Oh, I agree with that. But those kids parents may not *shrug*

I know people who make no distinction between children and adults in terms of showing the proper respect. So those people DO exist, believe it or not. Like 'Why should my child be obligated to speak to you when you come in a room just because you're an adult. Explain that to me.'

#DontShootTheMessenger Lol
  • mryounggun
    edited July 2013
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »

So baring in mind that sexual promiscuity was a taboo the generation before us and it's almost acceptable now, how will you as a parent feel about your daughter being a hoe?

You're asking the wrong question. It wouldn't matter how I would feel about it, cuz it ain't my life. Also, I think we're ignoring the 'free love' generation of the 60's and 70's. Sexual freedom was a a pretty big deal back then. But to answer the question, IF I HAD a daughter, I don't think I'd feel any kinda way about it as long as she was doing it safely and was OK with her decisions. I'm big on living your life how you want to live it, as long as you are prepared for all the things that come with it.

Then again, a women ? ' more than one ? don't make her a hoe in my eyes.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's more of a difference in culture than a difference in respect.

More than likely this. I know in the Latin culture you have acknowledge the elders when you enter a social type event. When your introduced to an elder ypu have to say Sir or Mrs. i know cats that add on the word "bendicion"

? my parents don't call me I have to call them or else I will go weeks without talking to them. They feel its not their place to be chasing someone down to see how they are doing.
  • Ajackson17
    Options

? are you serious?

Damn not even a bit of friendliness. No introduction or nothing...just what the fukk are you doing here huh

yea...good luck with that.

I'm not very friendly at all, that ? up in ohio ain't cutting it, we ain't friendly and I'm the meanest person you will ever meet.