so these burger flippers really think they deserve $15 an hour???

Options
konceptjones
konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in The Social Lounge
Nah y'all. These folks delusional as ? .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/fast-food-workers-walk-out_n_3670569.html

"NEW YORK -- Fast food workers across the country are walking off their jobs this week in protest of what they describe as low wages and unfair labor practices.

The employees, in New York, Chicago, Detroit and other cities, are calling for a $15 per hour wage as well as the right to unionize without fear of retaliation. The campaign launched Monday in New York City, and has been aided by Fast Food Forward, a New York City-based advocacy group of fast food workers:

A crowd of hundreds of workers stretching an entire city block crowded outside a Union Square McDonald's Monday afternoon, holding signs amid chants of "we can't survive on $7.25" and "hey hey, ? ? , poverty wage has got to go."
"

FOH... $15 for working at McBurger in the Box Jr's??? Hell nawl. Living wage my ass, it's a minimum wage job. The ? makes them think the work they do deserves $15 and hour?

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • gorilla
    gorilla Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They done got wind of how other countries work. The difference, when I go to say Germany, where living wage is practiced, I get good service and they don't expect a tip. Even the taxi drivers. People just do their ? job and smile about it.

Not entitled ass america tho. It's gimme this gimme that. I can understand the need to make more money, but um, how bout you step your career game up for that.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are there Tea PARTY plants on the IC?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    NY cost of living is high as hell. Most aren't asking that much.

you don't get a McDonalds job and expect to live offa it.

You should be able to live off any job you can get. Micky Ds ain't hurtin for money thats for damn sure.

If they can get it (and they should) then that's cool with me.
  • konceptjones
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    u work 40 hours a week u deserve a living wage... /thread

no, it's not that simple. You work 40 a week in skilled labor or labor intensive unskilled work, you deserve decent pay.

puttin in 40 at McD's doesn't qualify as either. And, yes, I've worked at McDonalds before (and Arby's, Taco Bell, and other joints). The only hard thing about working at McDonalds is unloading the truck.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »
    u work 40 hours a week u deserve a living wage... /thread

no, it's not that simple. You work 40 a week in skilled labor or labor intensive unskilled work, you deserve decent pay.

puttin in 40 at McD's doesn't qualify as either. And, yes, I've worked at McDonalds before (and Arby's, Taco Bell, and other joints). The only hard thing about working at McDonalds is unloading the truck.

so this is about the physical/mental intensity of the work?
    i assure it is not...
    there is no reason workers should be paid a wage that they cant live off... we aint talking about balling... we talking about the minimum... the bottom...
  • konceptjones
    Options

You should be able to live off any job you can get. Micky Ds ain't hurtin for money thats for damn sure.

WHY should they? What are they doing so special that folks with degrees aren't? There are people out there with a bachelors that start out making less than $15/hr. There's skilled tradesmen that don't get that starting out.

What is a burger flipper doing that warrants that kinda money?
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    more power to them

This.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so basically the price of food will double
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

WHY should they? What are they doing so special that folks with degrees aren't? There are people out there with a bachelors that start out making less than $15/hr. There's skilled tradesmen that don't get that starting out.

What is a burger flipper doing that warrants that kinda money?

"Special"? In any event if you keep settling for less than you're worth then thats your fault, I'm down for people demanding more and if they can get it good.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the economy, the sooner it crashes, the sooner ? we getta a chance to rebuild a better system.....

if them ? can get $15...give it to them
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gorilla wrote: »
    This is exactly why this country is falling behind in damn near every aspect despite what some people here may think.

Bunch of under achieving ass people. I don't knock their jobs, but you knew what it was going in. That's your life ambition? Use that ? as a stepping stone, you can make that ? work unless you tryna ball like a ? in higher paying job.

I worked at Mickey D's for two days. That's all it took for me to realize that ? wasn't for me.

Word...if they dont like the pay find another job.