Xbox One's DVR Feature Requires Xbox Live Gold Membership

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paying members access better features.

An Xbox Live Gold subscription is required to use Xbox One's DVR game-capture and video sharing functionality. Gold members will also have access to Skype and Smart Match multiplayer matchmaking, of course, as online play requires a Gold subscription.

Xbox Live Gold's one-year membership costs $60 in North America, and Xbox 360 users' existing Gold accounts will unlock access to Skype, DVR, Smart Match, and more when Xbox One releases this November. Currently, Xbox Gold members can get Crackdown for free on Xbox 360.

Xbox One's DVR captures clips at 30 frames per second in 720p, Microsoft recently told IGN. For more on how Xbox Live works on Xbox One, check out IGN's detailed wiki guide. Will you upgrade to Gold for game capture and sharing capabilities, or are you an existing member looking forward to the features? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    PlayStation Plus Not Required for Streaming, Recording on PS4

Free on day one for everybody.

Paying for PlayStation Plus is not necessary to access PlayStation 4's recording and sharing functionality. Following earlier news that Xbox One's DVR feature requires users to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold, fans took to Twitter to ask PlayStation if this would be the case on PlayStation 4, to which president of SCE's worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida said, definitively, "no" repeatedly.

The features will be available for everyone on day one. Does this make it more appealing to you?

For more on how PlayStation 4's Share Button and social features work, check out IGN's PS4 wiki.

glad im getting ps4
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Whatever console I get I will be paying a subscription anyway. Probably wont be using the DVR features much if at all.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everyone knows ps4 gamers are terrible. Might as well let them share their ? gameplay together for free.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options

Paying for PlayStation Plus is not necessary to access PlayStation 4's recording and sharing functionality. Following earlier news that Xbox One's DVR feature requires users to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold, fans took to Twitter to ask PlayStation if this would be the case on PlayStation 4, to which president of SCE's worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida said, definitively, "no" repeatedly.

The features will be available for everyone on day one. Does this make it more appealing to you?

For more on how PlayStation 4's Share Button and social features work, check out IGN's PS4 wiki.

should i go ahead and drop the ether on you or should i let you do it to ur self? you KNOW you need PS+ to play online on the ps4 right? unless the game is a F2P game like DC universe or some ? .. either way for either system its pointless to not have the premium service . without PS,+ what are you gonna be recording/ sharing? you browsing the web? youtube videos? vine clips? lmao
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »

should i go ahead and drop the ether on you or should i let you do it to ur self? you KNOW you need PS+ to play online on the ps4 right? unless the game is a F2P game like DC universe or some ? .. either way for either system its pointless to not have the premium service . without PS,+ what are you gonna be recording/ sharing? you browsing the web? youtube videos? vine clips? lmao

you dont need ps plus to play online. theyre leaving it up to the developer
  • joshuaboy
    Options

How about you direct it to IGN as the post clearly says where the article is from?

Again ...... what is up with black people and reading?
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

nah u need ps plus to play multiplayer
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

can share boss/puzzle strategies vid which i'm sure the majority of the videos will be, dont need multi for that
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

glad im getting ps4

#brokeniggadecisions
  • kanggoodie
    edited August 2013
    Options

How about you direct it to IGN as the post clearly says where the article is from?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-explains-why-ps-plus-is-required-for-ps4-online-play-6410806
    Sony has explained why a PlayStation Plus subscription will be required to play PlayStation 4 titles online. In the latest issue of Famitsu (translated by Kotaku), Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that it would have been "absurd" to keep the service free, considering the "large investment of resources" Sony has made for online infrastructure.

"The main pillar for the PS4 will be online play. We're developing many new ways to play and connect which requires a large investment of resources," Yoshida said.

"Considering the cost, to try to keep such a service free and consequently lower the quality would be absurd. We decided that if that's the case, then it would be better to receive proper payment and continue to offer a good service."

Currently, Sony does not charge a penny for online play for the PlayStation 3. PlayStation Plus subscriptions are offered for $50 per year, and current memberships will carry over to the PS4.

The move puts Sony in line with Microsoft, which currently mandates that Xbox 360 users have an Xbox Live Gold membership ($60/year) to play games online and access features like Netflix.

Elsewhere in the Famitsu issue, Sony Japan president Hiroshi Kawano said just because the PS4 is the main show moving forward, support for the PS3 is not ending anytime soon.

"It's been seven years since the release of the PS3, and the console continues to sell at a constant pace, plus we have many upcoming titles," Kawano said. "We have no intention of immediately shifting from the PS3 to the PS4."

"With the 2014 launch of our cloud service in the US allowing users to play PS3 games on the PS4, some people may switch consoles from the PS3 to the PS4," he added. "But that'll be a gradual process, and to say 'we're releasing a new console, so trade in your old ones for it' would be a maker's ego talking, plain and simple."

Just take ya L bro
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good I want more exclusive features for gold members ...
  • joshuaboy
    Options

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sony-explains-why-ps-plus-is-required-for-ps4-online-play-6410806
    Sony has explained why a PlayStation Plus subscription will be required to play PlayStation 4 titles online. In the latest issue of Famitsu (translated by Kotaku), Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that it would have been "absurd" to keep the service free, considering the "large investment of resources" Sony has made for online infrastructure.

"The main pillar for the PS4 will be online play. We're developing many new ways to play and connect which requires a large investment of resources," Yoshida said.

"Considering the cost, to try to keep such a service free and consequently lower the quality would be absurd. We decided that if that's the case, then it would be better to receive proper payment and continue to offer a good service."

Currently, Sony does not charge a penny for online play for the PlayStation 3. PlayStation Plus subscriptions are offered for $50 per year, and current memberships will carry over to the PS4.

The move puts Sony in line with Microsoft, which currently mandates that Xbox 360 users have an Xbox Live Gold membership ($60/year) to play games online and access features like Netflix.

Elsewhere in the Famitsu issue, Sony Japan president Hiroshi Kawano said just because the PS4 is the main show moving forward, support for the PS3 is not ending anytime soon.

"It's been seven years since the release of the PS3, and the console continues to sell at a constant pace, plus we have many upcoming titles," Kawano said. "We have no intention of immediately shifting from the PS3 to the PS4."

"With the 2014 launch of our cloud service in the US allowing users to play PS3 games on the PS4, some people may switch consoles from the PS3 to the PS4," he added. "But that'll be a gradual process, and to say 'we're releasing a new console, so trade in your old ones for it' would be a maker's ego talking, plain and simple."

Just take ya L bro

LOL ........

Kang be over there like

ngbbs4c4613f213b04.jpg

Son ...... I quoted two articles back to back. Stop making it personal.

I'm guessing you were frontline .......
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    Yea I know you posted two articles back to back. But it was very apparent what your agenda was.
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    ? stay trying to front like you're just posting to provide info....ya stanning ...Atleast own that ?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The fact that you got ? out there who follow video games daily still believing they won't have to pay for online on PS4 speaks volumes.

Is it just denial, lack of comprehension skills or something much deeper?

Anyway, the day I start worrying about $60 over the course of a year is the day I ? myself.
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    ? was so quick to drop that "at least we don't pay to play online " you ? will.accept what ever Sony feeds u just like Xbox heads..why??? Because you're ? gamers...
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this will be the last generation of Xbox
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

when caping goes wrong....leave it alone bruh
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? is not a big deal if you cant afford $50 or $60 a year then dont ? with online gaming
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    If you can't afford that ? you should prob pick up sand castle building because you're a ? embarrassment
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

WHERE do you keep getting this from?

• Karl.
    Options
    Folks can't afford 16cents a day?
  • Karl.
    Options
    That's down the back of the couch money.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What gets me is that there's people actually surprised by this. This is still Microsoft, the same folks who wouldn't even let Live users go into party chat w/o Gold on 360. Same ol' ? .