M$: "XBOX One will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in..."

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ask Microsoft Anything About Xbox One
Answers on Microsoft's new console, straight from the horse's mouth!

ama_080513_1280-610x343.jpg

As the Xbox One gets closer to its November launch, many questions remain about how the console works and what it can do. So we reached out to Microsoft and asked them if they could definitively clarify some of these things. They obliged, and so we'll be bringing you a handful of Ask Microsoft Anything answers each Monday at 2pm PDT/5pm EDT.

August 5th Answers:

Are Xbox 360 Avatars transferring over? If so will any changes be made to them?
MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: They are – your avatar will be on the system at launch and in fact, you’ll have some new options, including the ability to do full-body HD gamerpics. By the way, we should actually talk more about gamerpics too. We’ve moved from the 64x64 gamerpics on Xbox 360 to a full 1080p. They are beautiful, and you are going to see some really cool hero moments, like when you login to see personalized views of your games and other content.

Can you clarify how will Xbox Live Arcade work on Xbox One? Or if it will exist at all?
WHITTEN: Sure – there is no difference between games in the store – games are games are games! You’ll find them in the same pivots (most popular, new, etc.) and we’ll be highlighting them in our dashboard experience. And of course – like all of your digital games content – you can play them on any Xbox One, and anyone can play them on your Xbox One.

Will the Game DVR capture at the source resolution? i.e. will Forza 5 clips capture at 1080p and 60fps? And where can Game DVR clips be uploaded to?
WHITTEN: Game DVR captures beautiful clips at 720p 30fps. The first thing you’ll see with our game DVR is the integration of our Upload service on the console. This service allows you to manage, edit, and share your content. Your clips are stored in the cloud. Also, you’ll see games making “magic moment” videos of your gameplay based on the game DVR functionality – all seamlessly integrated. You’ll be able to see these clips in the Xbox One Guide, in your own game DVR collection, and when you are looking at gamercards on the system. You’ll also see games take advantage of this platform capability and do interesting things to integrate captured game footage into the game experience itself.

Can you earn two sets of Achievements for the same game (i.e. Playing Call of Duty Ghosts on Xbox 360 and on Xbox One)?
WHITTEN: Every game has its own set of achievements, so if you’re playing Call of Duty: Ghosts on Xbox 360 and on Xbox One, you can earn a separate set of Gamerscore in each game. But on the Xbox One version, you’re getting a much richer set of features, such as seeing your achievements progress on the Xbox One console, being able to unlock new achievements throughout the year, and earning real prizes inside and outside of the game. Xbox One also enables a new concept of challenges, where games will be offering special time-based opportunities to earn various goals and collect the rewards. More info on challenges can be found on Major Nelson's blog here.

August 12th Answers:

Can you organize your now-expanded Friends List into categories? i.e. “College buddies,” “Friends from work,” etc.
MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: You’ll see us add more in this area in the future. At launch, you’ll have your expanded list of friends and the ability to mark favorites so that it is fast and easy to play with the friends you care about most.

Is there cross-console Party Chat? i.e. since it’s all “Xbox Live,” can people on Xbox 360s Party Chat with their friends on Xbox One?
WHITTEN: For a variety of technical reasons – including the sound quality that I talked about above – we don’t support voice chat between the two systems. You will still be able to send and receive text messages to friends on both systems, however.

OK, so we can't chat across systems. But can I at least see what my friends are doing on either console?
WHITTEN: Yes – you see your friends on both systems, including their rich presence. My friends that are still on Xbox 360, for example, might see that I’m on Xbox One, playing Ryse. Since I can have more than 100 friends on Xbox One, if I go back to Xbox 360 and I have more than 100 friends, it will only show me the subset of my friends who are friends with me on Xbox 360.

Since Kinect must be plugged in for the Xbox One to function, what happens if your Kinect breaks? Like if it falls off the top of your TV onto a hardwood floor or something? Will the console cease to function?
WHITTEN: Xbox One is designed to work with Kinect plugged in. It makes gaming better in many ways – from the ability to say “Xbox On” and get right to your personalized homescreen, to the ability to control your TV through voice, Smartglass and more. Kinect allows you to search for your content, instantly move between games and your personalized dash and more with just your voice. Kinect helps you pick up and play by automatically knowing which controller you have in your hands. No more need to interrupt your friends game or navigate through multiple UI screens to sign in and tell the system which controller you are holding. It will even bind the controller to the console if its currently unbound – no searching for special buttons! Of course – these are just a few of the system wide benefits of having Kinect. Games use Kinect in a variety of amazing ways from adding voice to control your squad mates to adding lean and other simple controls beyond the controller to full immersive gameplay. That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

How “off” can Kinect be when the system is in use?
WHITTEN: You have the ability to completely turn the sensor off in your settings. When in this mode, the sensor is not collecting any information. Any functionality that relies on voice, video, gesture or more won’t work. We still support using it for IR blasting in this mode. You can turn the sensor back on at any time through settings, and if you enter into a required Kinect experience (like Kinect Sports Rivals for instance), you’ll get a message asking if you want to turn the sensor back on in order to continue.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

Comments

• John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you hear about Gold Sharing aka sharing gold account features on your Xbox One?
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think there's going to be a Xbox one that doesn't come with kinect for $400. It's crazy what Microsoft has to do to compete with the ps4 I'm curious how this is going to effect the amount of shipments of the xbox one.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All they gotta do now is announce the 'Kinect-free' $399 package and I'm good to go.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now what PS stans gotta say? Lol
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    Seriously tho what I'm getting from this is that the kinect still has to be plugged in but it can be turned off
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »

That the console has better specs and there game developers are better than Microsofts (who can only make shooters)

• joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone just admitted to being a stan ..... lol

must be KOA new account
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That the console has better specs and there game developers are better than Microsofts (who can only make shooters)

So you admit you're a PS stan
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    CJ wrote: »

It's called the truth.... It's called I get every console every generation.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    CJ wrote: »

It's called the truth.... It's called I get every console every generation.

Right aint nothing wrong with getting both but the DS4 and exclusive games are still better.The funny thing is MS stans are praising MS for ? Sony was already doing with the PS4 lol. Now if they can just fix the issue that they have with the lack of good exclusives and I will buy it since the WiiU is out of the question.
    I said all of their restrictions and policies were bad from the beginning but Xbots said I was wrong.Catch up ? and thank Sony because they are responsible for MS doing the right thing.Rofl nevet has one company back peddled on a product in the history of the universe.What would Xbox fand do without Sony to guide them?
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cant hate on this..microsoft definetly is trying to compete..before the policy change they thought ppl would just buy any ? they put out but looks like they woke up.

still 100$ more is gonna hurt them for a while.
  • kanggoodie
    Options
    I wish illbot would come clap black child lol .. I don't believe u have every console dude. U have too much bias. Proof or ?
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I DON'T CARE. I FEEL LIKE THE LYRICS FROM THIS SONG.

And it's too late baby, now it's too late
    Though we really did try to make it
    Something inside has died and I can't hide it
    And I just can't fake it
    Oh, no no no no
    (No no no no)

It used to be so easy livin' here with you
    You were light and breezy
    And I knew just what to do
    Now, you look so unhappy and I feel like a fool

And it's too late baby, now it's too late
    Though we really did try to make it
    (We can't make it)
    Something inside has died and I can't hide it
    And I just can't fake it
    Oh, no no
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    you ? pushing walter white weight or some ? ?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Albert Penello, Lead Planner for Xbox ONE, posted this comment in a thread after Microsoft's Kinect Announcement.
    This thread got very interesting.

I expected some commentary on this, but the direction it went surprised me.

The part that surprised me the most is the belief that we've somehow "lost our vision" or that we are "radically different" from what we announced.

Are we listening and adjusting the plans? We are. Are we making some concessions in areas where people have strong feelings? We are.

Are we altering our vision or losing faith? No.

We made one policy decision that was a major reversal around digital rights vs. physical media. It was the only time major features were changed, like family sharing, and some of the online check-in stuff that was related to it. It was the right call.

If you go back to the Unveil and E3 conferences, today's announcement doesn't change or diminish what we've said we were doing at all. All we said today is that we weren't going to brick the box if Kinect was unplugged. People making a leap thinking that means we've completely disconnected Kinect from the system would be wrong.

Once you guys experience the console, some of the criticisms may be valid, and many won't. The controller will not be the best way to navigate the dash - things like instant switching, snap mode, sign-in, and search are going to be vastly superior with Kinect. There is no controller UI that will beat "Xbox, Snap Skype", or "Xbox, Go to Killer Instinct".

The idea that the controller is the best way to navigate makes sense in reference to Xbox 360, but it's not true in Xbox One. You can completely control the dash with a controller, but many cases are deprecated versions of how it will work with voice.

If we were to remove Kinect from the bundle, then THAT would be a 180... but it's not going to happen. This was a very minor policy change, for people who had privacy concerns or repair issues. As someone earlier stated, my guess is that very few people will take advantage of the feature. But knowing it's there as an option is important.

Anyway, that's all my commentary on this. Bowing out for the evening.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76121819&postcount=1327
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    Keep the Kinect i have no issues with it and I def will be using the voice controls
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theodis need to shut the ? up and let the government into his life some more.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kanggoodie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Idk what's ? beef with kinect ? aint had a day with it yet and wanna reject it off of some hearsay .. the kinect ain't bad.. they took this ? to a while nother level and this how gamers act? Lol we'll see who's winning come Christmas
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk what's ? beef with kinect ? rainy had a day with it yet and wanna reject it off of some hearsay .. the of kindct ain't bad.. they took this ? to a while nother level and this how gamers act? Lol we'll see who's winning come Christmas

Consumers already won ........ we voiced our opinions and made a multi billion dollar corp change 75% of their policies to what we wanted.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    Consumers already won ........ we voiced our opinions and made a multi billion dollar corp change 75% of their policies to what we wanted.

this is true. ? I wish other companies were as spineless about their vision as MS is.
  • VulcanRaven
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Idk what's ? beef with kinect ? rainy had a day with it yet and wanna reject it off of some hearsay .. the of kindct ain't bad.. they took this ? to a while nother level and this how gamers act? Lol we'll see who's winning come Christmas

My bro got it and its trash. I am not a casual gamer so what use would I have for it? Do I mind it? No, but I do not want to be forced to use it either. They did not take anything to another level as it provides no challenge and my 4 year old niece was knocking down strike after strike in the bowling game.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    L3NU wrote: »
    cant hate on this..microsoft definetly is trying to compete..before the policy change they thought ppl would just buy any ? they put out but looks like they woke up.

still 100$ more is gonna hurt them for a while.

Look at the pre orders, PS4 is killing them. MS cannot compete head to head with Sony anyway. Look at what happened when the PS3 got turned around. They destroyed the 360 in every way imaginable. Ok I understand that people love Live and may prefer the Xbox. That's fine, but the fact is they are not, never was and never will ? with Sony unless they do better with their first party games. The Xbox is a generic console with nothing but hype going for it. LOL Drive Club has higher preorders than Forza 5 or whatever and proves that without Halo MS cannot sell their console. The PS3 had sold over 40 million before GT came out, the 360 needed Halo. Why can't MS fans just admit and except this?
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    I wish illbot would come clap black child lol .. I don't believe u have every console dude. U have too much bias. Proof or ?
    I can show you a pic of my broken ps3 and my Xbox controllers. I sold my wii and threw the 360 in the dumpster. Do you really believe MS has a studio that makes games as good as ? of War, uncharted, Infamous, The Last of Us, Heavy Rain.... So on and so forth.... All Xbox has is a bunch of shooters no originality at all...