Rank It: Ric Flair WWF Run

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
flair4.jpg

The great Naitch made the jump from WCW/NWA to WWF Im 1991 and while actually obtaining the ultimate goal of being WWF champion a lot of people consider Flair's run to be lackluster or even a failure.

Some would blame Vince not wanting to push Flair (hes not a McMahon creation) some say its because Flair simply couldn't draw money. No matter which story you believe Flair was a healthy scratch for several cards in WWF and his huge push against Hogan for WrestleMania 8 was aborted and he had to "settle" for wrestling Randy Savage in the midcard for the title.

Although he gained the gold twice many were disappointed in Flair's runs.

457094.jpg

So what's your thoughts? I know many of us were probably too young to live this era but I'm sure alot of us looked at the matches and angles.

I give it a solid 3/5. I think Flair had some great matches (the Savage WM match, the tag match against Hennig & Savage at SS93 and his match with Hennig on RAW) but I don't think they got the most they could get from Flair for whatever reason.

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I was to young to remember it.

He dropped the belt to Bret so that was dope to me.

To me he aint look Right holding the WWF belt his belt will forever be the Big Gold Joint.

I'll give him a solid 3/5 because of his promo vs Macho man talking about he piped Miss E
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he shouldve went back to wcw when nwo was around n kicked all they ?
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    On The Ultimate Ric Flair Collection DVD, Flair described his first stint with the WWF as "the greatest year and a half of my career, outside the time I spent with Arn Anderson and The Four Horsemen."
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    He won the belt and the rumble and had a goat photoshop feud with Macho man . 4.25/5
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    impressive run in '92 mah brothas!
    won da wwf belt twice!
    trill ass fued wit macho!
    won & had one of da best royal rumbles eva!
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I was already a fan during this run but I'm not like you guys. I don't go back and rewatch old wrestling runs or ppvs I've already seen. Most of them just live in the memory banks in my head. I just keep it movin. I remember when Flair first arrived I was genuinely shocked. I knew him as a WCW guy and at that time it was like seeing Sting or Luger show up in WWF; simply unheard of.

What made it even more crazy was that he brought the big gold belt with him. Overall as brief as it was it was a pretty impactful run. Outside of the great feud with Savage the one thing I remember about it the most is that it's what solidified me as a Mr. Perfect fan. Heenan and Flair really put Hennig over during this time. Between that and putting Hitman over it was some of the greatest wrestling from my childhood.

In retrospect maybe he could've done more. No feud with Hogan I remember was a big critique this run received back then but he was still the stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' n' dealin' son of a gun even with less than half the accomplishments he had back in WCW by that point and there's nothing ever wrong with that.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    impressive run in '92 mah brothas!
    won da wwf belt twice!
    trill ass fued wit macho!
    won & had one of da best royal rumbles eva!

Yeah RR 92 is one of my favorites. Flair going from #3 was unheard of at that time.

The promo afterwards was GOAT too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVaPb24VJWo