Did the Indianapolis Colts tank a whole season to get Andrew Luck TO AVOID actual rebuilding?

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited August 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
So i was listening to sports radio late at night and there's was a good caller who made an argument about the Colts tanking a whole season just to get restart instantly. he sorta got cut off by the Fox Sports radio female personality. I forgot her name but he brought up the Colts record for the past decade or so.

2003 12 4
2004 12 4
2005 14 2
2006 12 4
2007 13 3
2008 12 4
2009 14 2
2010 10 6
2011 2 14
2012 11 5

The radio host basically said you cant accuse the Colts of tanking a whole season, due to the way non-guaranteed contracts work but I think it was one of those things the NFL probably got sports radio and television muzzled on, so they don't want make the Colts organization look bad in public perception wise like other organizations *cough*.

I mean we all know Celts teams that have tanked in the NBA and and plenty of other examples, so basically do you think The Colts actually tanked that 2011 season to get Andrew Luck and avoid the short or long term rebuilding process and contend for a superbowl almost right away again or were they actually that bad without Peyt Manning?

Did the Indianapolis Colst tanked a whoel season to get Andrew Luck? 22 votes

Yes
40%
perspective@1005th Lettermiamivice305Cymicaldaneits....JOHN BMR BUDAristo_V300FunkyJjabezuriah 9 votes
No
36%
wilberdmillztexas409HustleThaDonpeagle05A$AP_A$TONParallelInglewood_Bspiritgod87 8 votes
Maybe So
22%
joeyfkncrakkgman82Cutler 26 INT's LOL!The Lonious MonkVader_F_Kennedy 5 votes

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe So
    They didn't really need to rebuild though. They had a team that lived and died by the quality of the QB. They knew that with a good QB the team would be good again, so they made to get one. Tanking a season to improve is better than rebuilding the team and potentially have years of badness before you get good again.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Look at who their QB and RB was in 2011.

You don't have to tank with a offense like that.

Nikkas ? me talmbout "tanking" when the squad's roster was either super young or super trash anyway.

When a playoff caliber team goes out there and gets beat by 30 points every game -- then let's talk about tanking.

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think they tanked they just wasn't good
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The main thing to remember before you start talking that "tanking" ? (especially in football - the home of non-guaranteed contracts) -- is that none of these players are going to make themselves look bad on purpose and risk millions on their next contract or by just getting cut from their current contract to help a team do something in a future that their black ass might not even be apart of.

What a running back look like saying "Yeah, I'm must gon' tuck my effort in" just so the GM can look at his production in the offseason while looking for cap-space and say "yeah, cut that dude, he averaged 3 yards per carry last year."

Shiiiiid.

No matter what your current team's situation is, you're not just playing for them, you're auditioning for your next contract and/or your next team.
  • peagle05
    peagle05 Members Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    who was their qb? curtis painter? nah. they just sucked
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    peagle05 wrote: »

You know the QB argument just doesnt do enough for me, cuz Ive seen a guy named.. whats his face the Christian QB from Florida... take a Broncos team to the playoffs and bounce The Steelers out the playoffs and now he's a 3rd string QB for new England... forgot his name tho.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KingGivBiz wrote: »

You know the QB argument just doesnt do enough for me, cuz Ive seen a guy named.. whats his face the Christian QB from Florida... take a Broncos team to the playoffs and bounce The Steelers out the playoffs and now he's a 3rd string QB for new England... forgot his name tho.

I'm a Broncos fan. That season was full of lucky breaks and lucky wins. A lot of those games should have been lost and we backed into the playoffs. The Broncos won despite his performance in many of those games.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Colts were disgraceful though. I thought they could have been better. Greenwood makes a good point about playing for the next contract, etc., in the NFL.
  • peagle05
    Options
    No

defense had just a big a part in that run, if not bigger
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options

nah. it was ALL qb. trust me. curtis painter sucks. hes worse than tebow. i went to purdue. i know.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Them ? got beat 62-7 or some ? like that in a game that season. I think they were just hot garbage
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    They still ain't ? .
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No
    Them ? started the season with Kerry Collins at QB......and you're talking about tanking?
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So its called tanking now?

Guess Oakland been doing it for years
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They were competitive in a lot of games that year but when push came to shove, they couldn't hold a lead or hold that competitiveness up. NFL ain't the NBA. You can't tank these physical ass games. The quarterbacking was atrocious that year - I mean, Blaine Gabbert was disgusted at what he saw.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no they didn't tank, but they knew what they were doing. They weren't very good as a team. And they intended to keep it that way by signing subpar qb's and never attempting to have a decent backup to manning ever since they let Jim Sorgi go
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe So

Yeah, I wonder why this is always forgotten. The Denver defense manage to hold opposing offenses in check despite the fact that they were on the field all game because of the ineffectiveness of their offense. In other words, Denver's defense was good enough that if the offense managed to do anything, they could win. The Colts were organized in the opposite way. Their offense was good enough that if the defense managed to do anything, winning was pretty much guaranteed. Then they lost the centerpiece to that offense. That's a heavy blow.
  • peagle05
    Options
    No

Yeah, I wonder why this is always forgotten. The Denver defense manage to hold opposing offenses in check despite the fact that they were on the field all game because of the ineffectiveness of their offense. In other words, Denver's defense was good enough that if the offense managed to do anything, they could win. The Colts were organized in the opposite way. Their offense was good enough that if the defense managed to do anything, winning was pretty much guaranteed. Then they lost the centerpiece to that offense. That's a heavy blow.

? remember how bad the colts run defense was the year they won the SB? then they played the chiefs first round and it was like they was shuttin all that ? down
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    ? the Colts.
    ? you

Jags been tryna rebuild for how long? ? ass organization

• DOPEdweebz
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    So its called tanking now?

Guess Oakland been doing it for years

Clippers...Pirates ...except recently and miraculousy they sonehow turned ? around.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gooner wrote: »
    northside7 wrote: »
    ? the Colts.
    ? you

Jags been tryna rebuild for how long? ? ass organization

Dawg, the Jags are playoff bound this season. How ya feelin' ?
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Their QB was out for the season, their backups couldnt cut the mustard (Curtis Painter anyone?). They decided to suck for luck, id like to think that they would put up a fight. But the fact remains. The Colts....(deep breath)....got swept by the Jaguars!
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes
    Wtf? You ? in denial. Cleveland teams tank seasons all the time to get first pick even if they are having a losing season we purposely make it worse to be the worst of all. Its common here in Cleveland as we lose all the time. A loser can spot a loser and those Colts were tanking all day...
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No they didn't tank. They had no QB. Matter fact they only had Reggie Wayne on Offense. They would have for rid of him for younger developing Wrs if it was a tank