Talib Kweli speaks out about homosexuality in hip-hop

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in The Reason

Talib Kweli says homosexuality will be accepted in hip-hop once there's a ? rapper who's "better than everybody."

Talib tells MotherJones.com that because of hip-hop's competitiveness, it's difficult for "fringe groups" to be accepted unless they're "better than whoever's the best." He sees homosexuality in hip-hop as an extension of homosexuality in the African-American community, which he says is "very conservative when it comes to homosexuality."

However, Talib does see a change coming. He says young people in the African-American community are embracing homosexuality in ways they never would have in the past.

While the community is "begrudgingly accepting" of homosexuals, Talib say that sliver of acceptance doesn't' mean people "should stop fighting for equality."

Read more: http://www.wgci.com/articles/trending-104655/talib-kweli-speaks-out-about-homosexuality-11609379/#ixzz2dIl7fVSu

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hes got a point. It's the same for women. Once it's a woman so nice she can outshine the best men then you'll probably see a change in female MCs until then they gotta play the background. There's a reason MC Lyte is respected even by male MCs, she's just nice.

As far as a ? rapper I think at first there will be an uproar and people will hate dude but If he can keep the hits and hot music coming it will die down. He just got to withstand the initial backlash. There will always be a core group of people who won't accept him but once the audience and radio are over it most other people will be too.

Me personally I wouldn't care as long as he curbs the ? love songs and doesn't start using male pronouns in reference to sex or love then we good.
  • lonestarg
    lonestarg Members Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who ever it is maybe already in the mix just hasn't been revealed yet!

Being a Lil Wayne fan since the early CMR days to how hes changed in the spotlight i thought it was him but he just may have been the opening puppet to introduce the actual ? but hey say what u want, believe what u want but there is a ? Agenda going on not just in hip hop in society all together
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    black america is loaded with a whole heap ah CHI CHI
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Ima start looking for another site to post on.

Whos coming with me? No ?

<
    The door is that way..bye nig!!!

• lonestarg
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Ima start looking for another site to post on.

Whos coming with me? No ?

Thecoli welcomes you
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ban this ? Ricky.G
  • lonestarg
    Options
    So the ? Agenda has begun on The IC i see.. Beware people you've been warned theres a plant in the midst
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    everyone is worried about ? rappers and ? . like as soon as a ? rapper blows up the rap game and hip hop will be dead. ? we got straight rappers who soft as ? and suck at rapping ruining the game and that's a reality. how about rappers ? straight whatever just focus on being talented and actually taking the craft seriously.

? is just like the government bringing up the whole ? marriage debate to try to turn the attention away from how bad they ? up managing the finances of our country. Who gives a ? who wants to be married we got cities bankrupt and congress acting like hoes and not passing anything. lets get this ? country outta debt then we can debate this ? again about ? marriage lol.
  • lonestarg
    Options
    Well Daym MoNizzle u right no disagreement here but this is hip hop I'll take less talented straight rappers over a skilled ? rapper its just not the hiphop way or culture lol
  • lonestarg
    Options
    I was taught ? the Police! Not literally ? em lol
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dont really care about ? rappers, hell guru was ? and the hip hop elitists love him, just long theres not a whole bunch of songs that overly describe "manhood" all over the place

n/h.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ricky.G wrote: »
    who cares i suck dix. it ? only if u swallow

some ? goated this post
    ? your fathers then yourselves
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ricky.G wrote: »
    who cares i suck dix. it ? only if u swallow

1250675188_family_guy_barfing.gif
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    We got cross dressing rappers and (Lil Wayne kissing Baby) in the game, its only a matter of time, that a Rainbow Spitter will not be a big deal.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Although he's not really a rapper, Frank Ocean has been accepted in the hip hop community already. He does rap on occasion but he's not the best there is when he does. His verse here was cool though..

http://youtu.be/fzi24Nssiow
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There were already ? rappers. They just kept it to themselves and didn't make tracks about their sexual excapades or preference. Some guys on here need to grow up IMO.

I don't care about a rapper's sexuality. I'll acknowledge the skill if he comes correct. Take Camp Lo. I liked Camp Lo back in the mid 90ties. I didn't like the stuff they released after Uptown Saturday Night though but these n*ggas could spit. What they did behind closed doors didn't bother me. Someone mentioned Guru. While I always felt he was monotone and boring and didn't like his flow he did release some dope cuts.
    Now Baby I never liked. He been rapping since the late 90ties and he hasn't improved much since then. Like he's just talking, mentioning namebrand stuff and boasting about material possesions. Every bar got a "n*gga" in it. Even he himself knows it because he's like "I'm not a rapper but a game spitter" or some BS like that. I liked some of his tracks but mainly because of the features and production.

I could go on but you catch my drift.
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    There were already ? rappers. They just kept it to themselves and didn't make tracks about their sexual excapades or preference. Some guys on here need to grow up IMO.

I don't care about a rapper's sexuality. I'll acknowledge the skill if he comes correct. Take Camp Lo. I liked Camp Lo back in the mid 90ties. I didn't like the stuff they released after Uptown Saturday Night though but these n*ggas could spit. What they did behind closed doors didn't bother me. Someone mentioned Guru. While I always felt he was monotone and boring and didn't like his flow he did release some dope cuts.
    Now Baby I never liked. He been rapping since the late 90ties and he hasn't improved much since then. Like he's just talking, mentioning namebrand stuff and boasting about material possesions. Every bar got a "n*gga" in it. Even he himself knows it because he's like "I'm not a rapper but a game spitter" or some BS like that. I liked some of his tracks but mainly because of the features and production.

Wait, so Camp Lo are ? ? Never heard of that. Guru haven't been proven to be ? tho. That stuff came when he passed away based on rumors and Solar, but we don't know. Same with Baby really. I know the Wayne thing but still.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH

I dunno if posters is really ? or just shock posting ..
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So...Haven't seem one "Talib a ? " post yet...Interesting...I thought simply speaking out about their rights and their place in the culture made you a pipe puppet....
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    SMH

I dunno if posters is really ? or just shock posting ..

Either way you found it funny which is weird in itself.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SnuffDaddy wrote: »
    Muhannad X wrote: »

Wait, so Camp Lo are ? ? Never heard of that. Guru haven't been proven to be ? tho. That stuff came when he passed away based on rumors and Solar, but we don't know. Same with Baby really. I know the Wayne thing but still.
    The aim of the post wasn't really to out rappers, but more to emphasise how to me skills should be the determining factor. Camp Lo during mid 90ties was dope to me despite the rumors. Baby has always been wack to me. Ion care what a rapper or any grown man for that matter does behind closed doors. After a certain age you look silly if you dismiss people solely on their sexuality. That's why I said some people needed to grow up.

I remember back when Coolie High dropped heads were saying Camp Lo was sweet. It didn't stop me from messing with their music. We all know what happened with Solar after Guru passed. That sh*t was beyond suspect, but it shouldn't tarnish his legacy IMO. Baby been kissing n*ggas in the mouths, spat lines like "I like to f*ck 'em in the a*s while he beat up the p*ssy" and there's footage of him getting groupie n*ggas on stage when Juvie and them pulled girls on stage. What else you want him to do?