Kendrick Lamar Finally Speaks On His "Control" Verse

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
We've heard plenty of responses and reactions to Kendrick Lamar's "Control" verse, but up to this point, nothing from the man himself. In a new teaser interview with Power106, the rapper has finally broken his silence on the controversy around his verse.

K.Dot revealed that he was surprised about the crazy reaction his bars were greeted with. "Honestly I didn't know there would be so much speculation behind it, I just wanted to rap," he said.

He also cleared the air on his "King Of New York" claim. "The irony of that line is that the people that actually understood it was the actual kings of New York," he said, explaining that the line is not meant to be taken literally."Me sitting down with them this past week, and them understanding that it's not actually about being the king of whatever coast, It's about leaving a mark as great as Biggie or as great as Pac."

The full interview will air tomorrow morning on Power 106, and Kendrick will also be stopping by HOT97 around the same time.

Listen to the clip below.

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/kendrick-lamar-finally-speaks-on-his-control-verse-news.7034.html

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CertainSoul
    CertainSoul Members Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Well then. This BS event has ended anti-climatically.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i be tryna tell ? ...lol
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its an interview, its not a Hollywood movie with special fx and dynamic camera angles. Lol
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Of course he would give that generic response. Nothing to do except to give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How does saying that he's the KONY translate to him wanting to leave a legacy like them? He could have said he was the King of Cali if he wanted to do that.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In other words, he idolizes the KONY rappers and wants a legacy like they had.

So what some speculated to be a jab at NY was actually props.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    So that wack ? was being wack............who knew?

It's called taking advantage and it worked perfectly. Completed his mission to platinum by selling like 9,000 copies in a week all over one verse lol
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    Only dumb ? ain't catch that metaphor anyway...Especially for 3 damn weeks...

Yeah , Kendric said what I thought he'd say about it. The fact that so many ? took it litteral was an indictment on their 3 rd eye. Rap guys who suppose to be making a living with Lyrical writing you would think would know metas better than the fans would.

• Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    U of all people should know this is a business just as much as it is anything else.
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How does saying that he's the KONY translate to him wanting to leave a legacy like them? He could have said he was the King of Cali if he wanted to do that.

Im sure he dont just have fans in Cali tho so that makes no sence. Big and Pac had a great deal of fans on both coast and sold really well everywhere. whats wrong with Kendric wanting that?

• G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why ? trying to act disappointed now,been telling yall it was never that serious. All the personal ? was completely unwarranted.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    ? musta got straight F's in comprehension classes in elementary and never looked back.

"I'm Makaveli's son, I'm the King of New York"

If he was literally claiming the NY crown, then he was also literally claiming that Tupac was his father, both of which are ludicrous suggestions for obvious reasons.

But no, ? want to skip right past the "Makaveli's son" part and harp on the KONY ? as an excuse to spill whatever feelings they've had long before the song dropped.

Notice, nobody that understood the line got upset or responded in a rap diss. And the biggest ? of this whole thing is that IT WASN'T EVEN KENDRICK'S LINE IN THE FIRST PLACE, HE WAS QUOTING KURUPT.

Nah nah ? dat b dat ? just coppin pleas dundundun word is bond if he come to my borough he gettin pumped wit lead gawd knamean it is what it is at da end of da day

Nah Sun, papoose ate that ? with them bars, ? just scared of competition B nadadamean? Kendrick gotta respond to the real king of NY or its gon be PROWBLEMS, word to ? , fatha, sista
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    ? musta got straight F's in comprehension classes in elementary and never looked back.

If he was literally claiming the NY crown, then he was also literally claiming that Tupac was his father, both of which are ludicrous suggestions for obvious reasons.

But no, ? want to skip right past the "Makaveli's son" part and harp on the KONY ? as an excuse to spill whatever feelings they've had long before the song dropped.

Notice, nobody that understood the line got upset or responded in a rap diss. And the biggest ? of this whole thing is that IT WASN'T EVEN KENDRICK'S LINE IN THE FIRST PLACE, HE WAS QUOTING KURUPT.

Nah nah ? dat b dat ? just coppin pleas dundundun word is bond if he come to my borough he gettin pumped wit lead gawd knamean it is what it is at da end of da day

I don't care if he was trying to be clever, he still said he was KONY, and talked about how he juggled both coasts... and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what he meant by it. If someone felt like he was out of line, they'll check him on it, and that's exactly what happened.

For dudes using the Kurupt cop-out, Kurupt ain't say ? about juggling both coasts so there was no confusion in his rhyme. Kurupt said, "I'm important like the pope, I'm the King of NY, I'm live from south central, I'm a Muslim on pork."

Also, Kurupt isn't on as big a platform as Kendrick is on now (so even if dudes would have taken offense to Kurupt's line, no one heard it!), and Kurupt is crazy nice and put in his 15+ years of work. Dude was known for battling ? and shredding them. His body count is in the hundreds forreal.

While Kurupt was murdering real battle emcees, Kendrick was losing to Charles Hamilton LMAO!
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options

He's saying that he is the metaphysical son of Pac and on the level of Big. Using the King of NY line is a slick way of saying you are in that position by juxtapose your supposed greatness with theirs. Saying that you juggle both coast is basically mentioning that as they did, you are doing. I don't see how he wasn't claiming KONY.. It was even more evident when he started talking like he's slaying challengers to the throne.. It doesn't matter if the position of King exist. Just like he's using it in a metaphor, King represents being the best and saying you trying the murder MC's and you on the level of greats and none is better should illicit response. He said names and mentioned places. That brings it from ? talk to attack mode. Maybe he just didn't get what he was saying and got a little to hype on himself. Notice that this is why people who weren't from NY also responded even though it was overwhelmingly NY.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    Only dumb ? ain't catch that metaphor anyway...Especially for 3 damn weeks...

I said the same ? in the original thread.

"I'm Makaveli's offspring, Im the KONY"

Makaveli=Pac, (Original) KONY = BIG. ? was 2+2=4 IMO. BIG & Pac are usually mentioned together b/c of obvious reasons.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No TDE album yet please.

? would be G-Unit all over. I dont really mess with a artist on a major unless they earn the right. School Boy getting there with me. I heard Ab-Soul once. I was ok with dude. I jus need a lil more kick from TDE.