Accents

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I'm watching "How The States Got Thier Shapes", and it's speaking on accents and slang.

One of the things that they brought up was a speech training to make people with accents sound more normal. This is for jobs, I assume they're taking calls and what not.

So, with that said, do you have an accent or do you speak "normal"? If you have an accent, have you had to go through some kind of speech training for your job? If so, how did you feel?

If not, would you?

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When I was younger I had one, mean kids changed that over time..........
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I have a slight NY accent... I don't need no ? speech training dun....
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a regional, east side (of my area of Compton) accent
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a heavy country accent.

Your accent doesn't always effect the ability for someone to comprehend what you are saying.

People from different regions tend to pronounce some words different, but I see no issue or why one would need to go through that if you can understand what they are saying.

There is a difference in having an accent and speaking incorrect English.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a strong southern accent but people say I dont sound like I'm from my city (which is a good thing). This woman said I have a louisana accent
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    I aint think I had one till I went other places
    This

I had to make an effort to speak slower
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • VIBE
    Options
    L.A. has the lamest accents in america.Them ? sound like some proper geeks,their style sucks too and that hoo bangin crip walkin ? is corny

We have the "accent with no accent", you probably hate the slang out here.
  • VIBE
    Options

Your accent doesn't always effect the ability for someone to comprehend what you are saying.

People from different regions tend to pronounce some words different, but I see no issue or why one would need to go through that if you can understand what they are saying.

Accents are strange, I think a heavy Louisiana bayou accent is the most hardest to decipher.

I think it's also neat that one word can be said so many ways.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L.A. has the lamest accents in america.Them ? sound like some proper geeks,their style sucks too and that hoo bangin crip walkin ? is corny

yea I gotta cosign that

everybody I met from cali was on some preppy ?

I aint never met none of them aye cuz wassup blood ? I see on tv
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SC/GA low country geechie accents >>>>>>>>>>>
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Inb4 "everyone has an accent"

I just speak clearly. I know I don't sound like the extreme ppl from my city.

Every major city and every region as a whole has its different levels. Some ppl are extreme and can't help it, others not so much although select words may still come out with an obvious accent.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I pretty much spoke the Queens English as a kid. Everyone said I had a white accent.
  • VIBE
    Options

yea I gotta cosign that

You've never been in the right part of LA, then.

I hate Mexican slang and accents, that "wassup fool" ? is annoying. Everyone and thing is a fool.. "Nah fool.."
  • VIBE
    Options
    So, if you hear someone from Cali talk, do they have an accent to you?
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

Accents are strange, I think a heavy Louisiana bayou accent is the most hardest to decipher.

I think it's also neat that one word can be said so many ways.

I think you are thinking about the Louisiana Cajun accents they are hard to decipher at times oddly enough I don't run across to many of them.

Most people here have a country or slow talking accent.

? is mad weird when I meet people from from other regions for the first time and they looking at me sideways.

After being around me for a little while they get use to it and its not as obvious anymore.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope show.

But yeah, everybody got an accent. If you think you ain't got one, you're stupid.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »

yea I gotta cosign that

You've never been in the right part of LA, then.

I hate Mexican slang and accents, that "wassup fool" ? is annoying. Everyone and thing is a fool.. "Nah fool.."

I aint never been to la

but I kno ? in Miami be on that fool ?

the first time a ? called me that we almost fought, I aint kno they talked like that

? just wakled up on me callin me a fool and ? , like ? who the ? is you talkin to
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love talking to chicks thats from the midwest or up north & they hear my country accent.

They be loving the kid voice like "mmmm T, just keep on talking"
  • tha bause
    tha bause Members Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I hate the accents from wisCANsin and other places north that sound like that

Also the super Cajun accents sound cool as ? to me even though I can't understand what the ? they're trying to say
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've moved between the US and Trinidad so many times that my Trini and US accents kinda mixed together. People tell me I talk proper because of that
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm good @ pinpointing where someone's accent comes from though. N.O., Cali, Texas, DC, BMORE, Philly, WiSCOHHHNSIN, ATL, NYC, T&T, and Jamaica are all obvious.