Bethesda: "The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long passed"

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in IllGaming

"Pick the consoles that have the games you want to play."

Skyrim and Fallout maker Bethesda has gone on the record to say it's not making any games for Nintendo platforms.

Now, one of its senior executives has suggested it may be too late for Nintendo to convince Bethesda - and other publishers - to change its mind.

Speaking on the latest episode of Gametrailers' Bonus Round, Bethesda marketing chief Pete Hines said Nintendo only has itself to blame for the current lack of third-party titles on Wii U because it failed to gain feedback on its plans before the console's November 2012 release.

"The time for convincing publishers and developers to support Wii U has long passed," Hines said.

"The box is out. You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time. It's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers that we wanted, but they involved us very early on, talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, saying, 'Here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work,' to hear what we thought, from our tech guys, and from an experience standpoint."

He added: "You have to spend an unbelievable amount of time upfront doing that. If you're going to sort of decide 'Well, we're going to make a box and this is how it's going to work, and you should make games for it,' - well, no! No is my answer!

"I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. You've got to spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box when you're still designing it and thinking about how it's going to work."

Both Microsoft and Sony consulted the game industry's key players as it worked on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 respectively. PS4 architect Mark Cerny has discussed at length how the Japanese company was keen to avoid the mistakes it made in the run up to the launch of the PlayStation 3, making its successor much more developer friendly.

Nintendo has struggled to convince third-parties to support Wii U, and, perhaps most damaging, has lost support of mega publisher EA after a short burst of Wii U launch games. Like Bethesda, EA currently has no Nintendo games in development, meaning the likes of Battlefield 4 and FIFA 14 will skip Nintendo's console. Eurogamer investigated the collapse of EA and Nintendo's "unprecedented relationship" in a feature published earlier this year.

It appears Hines' mind is made up.

"Honestly, it's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about," he said.

"Pick the consoles that have the games you want to play. You shouldn't have ever bought a Wii U expecting to play great Bethesda games on there because that's not something we'd ever supported in the past.

"We'll see how that changes down the road - if it does.

"It's more about the hardware and the audience and supporting yet another platform, and does it do everything the way the others do? If not then usually it just doesn't make a lot of sense to spend that much time and attention on something that doesn't fit what you're doing."

Comments

• earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what nintendo should do is simply go back to the strategy that made them successful with the wii. do kids games about my little pony and cartoon network shows, ? like that. carnival games was a big hit, do some sequels. do the famous nintendo brands but dont even bother worrying about sports games or mature brands. no one who bought a wii u wanted it for that anyway. a few adult games may go thru, like wii got house of the dead, and the Walking Dead game would be great on the Wii U too, but mostly do games for families and that read stories to your bastard kids. make more lego games. get companies that make tablet games to make some wii u games. Cut the rope or angry birds Wii U would be huge hits.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @E2S Nintendo should just make games for other platforms so I can play Zelda with the superior DS4 and Pokemon on the better designed PSVita.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zelda on the vita....?

*faints*
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but mostly do games for families and that read stories to your bastard kids.

lol
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo should get SEGA and make a Streets of Rage graphic remake with Ecco the Dolphin along with Comix Zone.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Nintendo should get SEGA and make a Streets of Rage graphic remake with Ecco the Dolphin along with Comix Zone.

The only way Nintendo will ever change is if their backbone fails the way Sony's (electronics) and Microsoft's (Windows) started doing. Until handheld gaming is jeopardized, they will never give two ? about third parties contributing to their console platform again.

They are not losing money by manufacturing the machines. Plus, all of the people who buy the machines are guaranteed to buy a Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc. game. They could give a ? about EA, Activision, Bethesda.

What's hilarious, though, is as successful as the strategy is, it could be even more so if they dug into that Sega catalog and mined a few gems other than Sonic.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Nintendo just isn't interested in being one of 4 options for the same content. It's why most games on Nintendo platforms, 1st and 3rd party, are exclusive. For better or for worse, Nintendo will always do their own thing. Its been working for them so far.

Why can't Bethesda come up with something original and different for Nintendo's hardware?
  • earth two superman
    Options
    ^
    get back in the kitchen, woman.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think bethesda should get Fallout 4 out as soon as possible and just ? .
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't wait for Fallout 4!
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    Nintendo just isn't interested in being one of 4 options for the same content. It's why most games on Nintendo platforms, 1st and 3rd party, are exclusive. For better or for worse, Nintendo will always do their own thing. Its been working for them so far.

Why can't Bethesda come up with something original and different for Nintendo's hardware?

Better question: why can't Bethesda come up with something other than big-ass sandboxes with sticks, animals, and colored flashlights?

Seriously, they been on the same ? for over a decade now. It just looks better every time out but has about the same level of interactivity.
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nintendo needs to just license out games/characters..imagine Mario or Metroid with the power of the PS4!! Zelda with ? Of War graphics! ? would be epic,
  • earth two superman
    Options
    i honestly dont think that would ever happen. nintendo is like DC, Marvel, disney, or Warner Brothers with their characters. Protect them by any means necessary. Besides, its not like they need the money. wii u aint doing numbers but its not like theyre going the sega way.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options
    LOL at Nintendo not being interested and always doing their own thing, yet this is the same company who tried to destroy Square for not developing for the N64, the same company who begged Kojima to do a MGS remake on the GC, the same company who begged Capcom for RE remake and RE4 on the GC, the same company who said one of their main goals for the WiiU was to get better third party support and who promoted ME3 and Batman AC for the launch of their console (which were the only GOOD games available at launch). Funny how Nintendo fans are begging for GTAV on the WiiU as well as other third party games. ? out of here with that ? . They need third party games because Pikmin ain't selling that trendy doorstop rofl.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at Nintendo not being interested and always doing their own thing, yet this is the same company who tried to destroy Square for not developing for the N64, the same company who begged Kojima to do a MGS remake on the GC, the same company who begged Capcom for RE remake and RE4 on the GC, the same company who said one of their main goals for the WiiU was to get better third party support and who promoted ME3 and Batman AC for the launch of their console (which were the only GOOD games available at launch). Funny how Nintendo fans are begging for GTAV on the WiiU as well as other third party games. ? out of here with that ? . They need third party games because Pikmin ain't selling that trendy doorstop rofl.

damn son.....I see you feel some type of way
  • focus
    Options
    Yea I always read @RagingRavens post in the voice of a yelling man. It gets so loud after the first couple sentences that I usually never finish.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    ^
    translation: It hurts your woman ears.
  • VulcanRaven
    Options

LOL man it just annoys me when people act like Nintendo is perfect and don't need nothing but their own games. The NES and SNES sold because of third parties and for a long time that EA fitness game was selling the Wii staying number one on Amazon. Nintendo is not apple where they can survive on their own software.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL man it just annoys me when people act like Nintendo is perfect and don't need nothing but their own games. The NES and SNES sold because of third parties and for a long time that EA fitness game was selling the Wii staying number one on Amazon. Nintendo is not apple where they can survive on their own software.

...and yet for the past 3 home console generations in a row they've done just that.
  • focus
    Options
    "Nintendo. Doomed since 1889."
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Nintendo. It only does rehashes"
  • earth two superman
    Options
    "Nintendo. Strong enough for a man, made for a woman." #focuslost
  • focus
    edited September 2013
    Options
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^Not to mention that the average development costs for a game on the PS4 and X-One console is soaring above $100 million. Many 3rd party companies are finding harder and harder to fund games when hardware and development time becomes unstable. That is why you see developers having downloadable games on cell phones now.