Did the South Ruin Rap?

Options
Kalecrunch
Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was the rise of southern rap responsible for the decline in "Lyricism"? Trap rap etc.

Comments

• sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think so. The South is what i mostly listen too. The majority prefer it too.
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah, it was just the wack rappers because you always had Three 6, NO Limit, Outkast, Cash Money and many more.
  • NoCompetition
    Options
    What type of people populate this site? haha what "ethnic cultures"? Lotta weirdos out side of who actually enjoys and listens to a lot of rap music out there. This sht be nothin like how the real out here thinks.
  • NoCompetition
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Yawn at yall at this point. Pointless.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, if you think they did that's a personal problem.

You control what you listen to, if you don't like the material that Southern artists put out, you don't gotta' listen to it
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? dont even wanna get clever wit it no mo
  • TheApocalypse
    TheApocalypse Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Options
    This is a very old argument, but for the sake of this thread I will contribute. I live in Houston, born and raised. I grew up listening to local music just like everyone else out here. With that said, yes the South absolutely ruined rap, but only in the sense that we set the bar so low for our artists as far as musical quality goes. For instance, listen to any Screw Tape freestyles, then put on some Big L, then put on some underground Bay Area music from the 90s. Anyone with half a brain could tell you that those old Lil KeKe raps were terrible lol, but thats what we bumped and no one here will admit that compared to other regions, his lyrics were elementary. People always want to bring up Scarface, but Face was certainly the exception rather than the rule for lyricism here. As we moved into the 2000s and the South started getting a buzz, no one criticized the quality of music here and there was no competition because the attitude was like "oh we finally made it! Let's stick together!", and whatever was put out, other southern artists got behind it. We started the whole "I'm using rap to get rich mentality". This created a large movement of terrible music and no one seemed to care about how bad it was once it became the only thing in rotation in the clubs, radio etc. 2004-2007 was arguably the worst period for rap music, and the radio was dominated by southern acts devoid of all lyricism and creativity. Both the South and the West criticize NY for all of their infighting, but the lyrical competition there is what drove rap music, and ultimately hiphop to become the art form that it is. No one wants to be better than the next man in the South. Its all about money.
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The south taught hip hop how to hustle and this is coming from a midwest ? .
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have a ipod so the only time I hear about wack music is from other people.

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It cracks me up when I hear people say this...

Like a gang of ? from Houston and Atlanta were riding around Brooklyn raiding New York ? studios making it impossible for them to record

If you don't like what's on the radio, turn off the radio. New Yorkers just had the mentality for the longest that unless they get a label to bankroll them then they can't move
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw bruh we ain't doin this tonight. Sit back and watch Cowboys/Giants

cosign *cracks open another beer and watches 3rd quarter*

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    crunk began the decline of hip-hop before that era the south had a lot of wack artist but they also had alot of respectable artist like scarface and outkast the first couple of cash money albums were good also
  • ohhhla
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    crunk began the decline of hip-hop before that era the south had a lot of wack artist but they also had alot of respectable artist like scarface and outkast the first couple of cash money albums were good also

Wrong, it's the wack formula of making club tracks, ? tracks and etc. .

And having mixtapes as a cushion after your album is ass messed up the hip hop imo.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

And having mixtapes as a cushion after your album is ass messed up the hip hop imo.

There has always been club/party tracks in hip-hop and ? tracks go back to the golden era so you can't blame that for anything.

And mix tapes are one of the best things that ever happen to hip-hop.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    south pretty much ruined rap cause they all stupid as ? and a bunch of pig/donkey ? short bus riding muh fuckas
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Crunk was the introduction of "artists" whose sole purpose was to string together a couple catchy lines and just put those on repeat over a banging beat.

The result was those guys thinking they were actually rappers. Then those guys put out albums, and from there it's been downhill.

• ohhhla
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

There has always been club/party tracks in hip-hop and ? tracks go back to the golden era so you can't blame that for anything.

And mix tapes are one of the best things that ever happen to hip-hop.

Eventually it caught up and bit them in the ass.

And then people try to make the whole album surround of that.

Why not tracks like If I Ruled The World, Juicy, I Ain't Mad Atcha, Swimming Pools (Drank), ? Don't ? My Vibe, Superstar, and etc.

Songs that lyrically good and have depth to it.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The South is currently killing the East Coast and it's New York Giants though
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What kills me is the same posters continue to get trolled on this topic every other week for the last 3/4 years
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
This discussion has been closed.