Upcoming film about Egypt starring Christian Bale, Sigourney Weaver and Aaron Paul

Options
Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in Lights, Camera, Action!
christian-bale-moses-ridley-scott.jpg

Christian Bale as Moses

joel_edgerton_headshot_p_2013.jpg

This dude as Ramses

These crackers are ? drawling right now. HARD. SMH. Aaron Paul, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, Joel ? Edgerton. All these muthafuckas are white. In a movie about Egypt.

"Exodus," the Bible-based epic being directed by Ridley Scott and slated for a 2014 theatrical release, has added new stars to the cast, with "Alien" actress Sigourney Weaver being the latest addition.
It was reported by various sources late last week that Weaver, who worked with Scott on the 1979 cult classic "Alien," would be signing on to his latest production to portray Tuya, the mother of the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses.

Although Christian Bale, Joel Edgerton, John Turturro, and Signourney Weaver's roles are reportedly set, "Breaking Bad" actor Aaron Paul was still said to be in negotiations for the role of Joshua. The same has been reported for Ben Kingsley, who portrayed the Hebrew hero Moses in a 1995 TV adaptation of the Old Testament tale — although he has been listed on the IMDB.com "Exodus" movie page as a cast member, latest reports indicate he may still be in negotiations.

Here is the latest breakdown of the main cast of characters, the actors portraying them (or rumored to be portraying them), and how the figures are presented in the Bible.

CHRISTIAN BALE - MOSES
According to the Biblical account, Moses, a Hebrew raised in the Egyptian household, initially encountered in perhaps one of the most well-known theophanies — the burning bush. ? persuaded him to lead the enslaved Hebrews out of Egypt and into the "promised land" of Canaan. Moses, who is said to have stuttered or suffered from some sort of speech impediment, was equipped with a staff, spoke with ? "face to face, as a man speaks to his friend," and received the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai.

JOEL EDGERTON - PHARAOH RAMSES
While Ramses is not identified in the Bible as the pharaoh who Moses faced, extra-biblical accounts suggest that Ramses II ruled over Egypt during the 13th century BCE, the period suggested by some experts for when Moses might have lived. The Book of Exodus portrays the pharaoh as defiant to Moses's claims that ? required the enslaved Hebrews to leave Egypt. The Book of Exodus indicates the pharaoh pursued the Hebrews as they left Egypt. Moses and the pharaoh have been portrayed in popular movie accounts as sibling rivalries.

3. SIGOURNEY WEAVER - TUYA
Tuya, not portrayed in Biblical accounts, is believed to have been the wife of Pharaoh Seti I and mother of Ramses II. She has been portrayed in movies as the Egyptian woman of royalty who pulled baby Moses from the Nile River, while the Bible presents the Hebrew deliverer's foster mother as "the daughter of Pharaoh" who named him Moses (Exodus 10:1-10).

JOHN TURTURRO - SETI
Pharaoh Seti, like his son Pharaoh Ramses II, does not make any specific appearances in the Bible. He has been portrayed in some movie accounts of the Exodus as the pharaoh who Moses and Aaron faced in their demand that the Hebrew slaves be freed. In other accounts, Seti has been presented as Moses' foster father or uncle.

5. AARON PAUL - JOSHUA
Joshua, freed with the other Hebrews from Egyptian slavery, is presented in the Exodus narrative as one of Moses' primary assistants during their 40 years in the desert. The Book of Numbers indicates that it was Moses who renamed him Joshua (Yehoshua), although he was originally named Hoshea. Scripture says that after Moses' death, ? spoke to Joshua and promised to lead him as He had led his predecessor. It was under Joshua's leadership that the Hebrews/Israelites routed the Canaanites and gained land, as recounted in the Book of Joshua.

BEN KINGSLEY - UNKNOWN
Kingsley's negotiations may remain ongoing, but he has been listed in the movie profile page for "Exodus" on IMDB.com, with his character currently unlisted. If Kingsley signs on to the Bible-based movie project, it is not unlikely that he may play Aaron, Moses' brother who is portrayed in the Book of Exodus as standing with him during his confrontations with the pharaoh. Kingsley, who has a penchant for Bible-based movies ("Mary Mother of Christ," "Noah," "Moses, "Joseph") could also, of course, be cast to portray any character noted in the Biblical account concerning Moses and the Exodus (such as Hur), or a historical figure not mentioned at all in the Old Testament story.

The screenplay for "Exodus" has been credited to Bill Collage, Adam Cooper and Steven Zaillian. Michael Schaefer is listed as the executive producer, while Scott shares producer credit with Peter Chernin, Dylan Clark, and Jenno Topping.
The historical drama is said to be in pre-production with a tentative release date of Dec. 12, 2014.

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im good..........
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @cc_poncho

come debate this ? bruh
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _DUB_ wrote: »
    @cc_poncho

come debate this ? bruh

Depending on what them extra roles payin, I might just let this ? slide...
  • BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He turned down batman to do this. (well, honestly, I would want to do a batman vs superman movie either)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I could give them a pass on not putting dark skinned black people in there because like it or not that's still a matter up for debate, but how the hell do you put white people in there given that it's widely known fact that the Egyptians were never a white society. This ain't the 1950s. Even white people aren't lying to themselves about that ? anymore.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ridley scott and chris bale? im in
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Maalik wrote: »

Christian Bale as Moses

This dude as Ramses

These crackers are ? drawling right now. HARD. SMH. Aaron Paul, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley, Joel ? Edgerton. All these muthafuckas are white. In a movie about Egypt.

"Exodus," the Bible-based epic being directed by Ridley Scott and slated for a 2014 theatrical release, has

Wasn't surprised when I saw Ridley Scott's name.

Aliens was filled with racial undertones:
    Ridley Scott decided on the man-in-suit approach for creating the creature onscreen. Initially circus performers were tried, then multiple actors together in the same costume, but neither proved scary.

Deciding that the creature would be scarier the closer it appeared to a human, Scott decided that a single, very tall, very thin man be used.

Scott was inspired by a photograph of Leni Riefenstahl standing next to a 6'4" (1.93 m) Nubian.[8] The casting director found 7'2" (2.18 m), rail-thin graphic designer Bolaji Badejo in a local pub. Badejo went to tai chi and mime classes to learn how to slow down his movements.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(film)

Leni Riefenstahl 6.jpg

was a photographer and filmmaker, who made the propaganda film "Triumph of the Will (1935)" for the ? party in Germany.
    220px-Triumph_des_Willens_poster.jpg

The photographs she took that "inspired" Ridley Scott:

438134.jpg

16.jpg

cover_ju_25_riefenstahl_africa_1007081252_id_363372.jpg

http://www.hrgiger.com/alien.htm

http://www.leni-riefenstahl.de/eng/bio.html

Do you see "Aliens" when you look at them?

i see it, but wasnt h. r. giger the one who created the settings and aliens and not scott?
    and leni riefenstahl was still a talented photographer, ? used her for propaganda ? because she was a talented artist.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    cobbland wrote: »

Christian Bale as Moses

This dude as Ramses

"Exodus," the Bible-based epic being directed by Ridley Scott and slated for a 2014 theatrical release, has

Wasn't surprised when I saw Ridley Scott's name.

Aliens was filled with racial undertones:
    Ridley Scott decided on the man-in-suit approach for creating the creature onscreen. Initially circus performers were tried, then multiple actors together in the same costume, but neither proved scary.

Deciding that the creature would be scarier the closer it appeared to a human, Scott decided that a single, very tall, very thin man be used.

Scott was inspired by a photograph of Leni Riefenstahl standing next to a 6'4" (1.93 m) Nubian.[8] The casting director found 7'2" (2.18 m), rail-thin graphic designer Bolaji Badejo in a local pub. Badejo went to tai chi and mime classes to learn how to slow down his movements.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(film)

Leni Riefenstahl 6.jpg

was a photographer and filmmaker, who made the propaganda film "Triumph of the Will (1935)" for the ? party in Germany.
    220px-Triumph_des_Willens_poster.jpg

The photographs she took that "inspired" Ridley Scott:

438134.jpg

16.jpg

cover_ju_25_riefenstahl_africa_1007081252_id_363372.jpg

http://www.hrgiger.com/alien.htm

http://www.leni-riefenstahl.de/eng/bio.html

Do you see "Aliens" when you look at them?

i see it, but wasnt h. r. giger the one who created the settings and aliens and not scott?
    and leni riefenstahl was still a talented photographer, ? used her for propaganda ? because she was a talented artist.

The alien was based on a drawing from H.R Giger (from his book "Necronomicon") Hans_Rudolf_Giger_Necronomicon_Dali_Edition.jpg

I wasn't discounting Leni's ability as a filmmaker or photographer, but questioning how Scott tied in the original paintings of Giger (and the concept design of what became the Xenomorph), to a completely unrelated picture of members of the Nuba tribe.

Who looks at the tribe and sees "scary monsters?"
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BoldChild wrote: »
    He turned down batman to do this. (well, honestly, I would want to do a batman vs superman movie either)
    He wasn't offered Batman! Stop believing everything you read!

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL @ the characters in that film speaking English rather than Hebrew ..
    Man I swear ya'll will find something to complain about no matter what. You mean you'd rather have a movie where they speak Hebrew for the whole movie, while you get an english subtitle?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I could give them a pass on not putting dark skinned black people in there because like it or not that's still a matter up for debate, but how the hell do you put white people in there given that it's widely known fact that the Egyptians were never a white society. This ain't the 1950s. Even white people aren't lying to themselves about that ? anymore.

Nothing's up for debate. They're just not publishing the research because its damning. King Tut & Ramses III were discovered last year to share over 90% of their DNA with modern Sub-Saharan and East Africans, followed by Central and West Africans. Less than 10% of their DNA came from non-Africans.

This discovery was barely covered by the media.

That's the point. Those tests showed that the DNA for many of the mummies tested was very similar to the people currently living in Egypt. Most of those people are not considered dark skinned black people. Now I'm not suggesting that this means that Egypt was never a black society. I just said it's still a matter up for debate.
  • Maalik
    edited September 2013
    Options

Nothing's up for debate. They're just not publishing the research because its damning. King Tut & Ramses III were discovered last year to share over 90% of their DNA with modern Sub-Saharan and East Africans, followed by Central and West Africans. Less than 10% of their DNA came from non-Africans.

That's the point. Those tests showed that the DNA for many of the mummies tested was very similar to the people currently living in Egypt. Most of those people are not considered dark skinned black people. Now I'm not suggesting that this means that Egypt was never a black society. I just said it's still a matter up for debate.

No, they didn't. The tests showed that Ramses & King Tut's DNA was similar to people of Sub-Saharan Africa.

King Tut
    http://www.dnatribes.com/dnatribes-digest-2012-01-01.pdf

Ramses
    http://www.dnatribes.com/dnatribes-digest-2013-02-01.pdf

You have to search for these findings because the media damn sure isn't covering it.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if its by ridley scott, count me in
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

No, they didn't. The tests showed that Ramses & King Tut's DNA was similar to people of Sub-Saharan Africa.

You're overstating ? in the same way white people do. Hell, you can go do a google search right now and find a dozen sources easy that say the DNA tests show that Tut was European. When in reality, most of the scientists most knowledgeable about this doubt that the tests can even be taken with confidence given the level of contamination that the mummies have been exposed to over the decades.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20014-royal-rumpus-over-king-tutankhamuns-ancestry.html#.Ui-AvJK1FTA

Again, I'm not arguing that the Egyptians weren't black. I'm just pointing out that there hasn't been any piece of evidence so strong that it's knocked the other side of the debate out, and therefore the debate continues.
  • Maalik
    Options

You're overstating ? in the same way white people do. Hell, you can go do a google search right now and find a dozen sources easy that say the DNA tests show that Tut was European. When in reality, most of the scientists most knowledgeable about this doubt that the tests can even be taken with confidence given the level of contamination that the mummies have been exposed to over the decades.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20014-royal-rumpus-over-king-tutankhamuns-ancestry.html#.Ui-AvJK1FTA

Again, I'm not arguing that the Egyptians weren't black. I'm just pointing out that there hasn't been any piece of evidence so strong that it's knocked the other side of the debate out, and therefore the debate continues.

King Tut
    http://www.dnatribes.com/dnatribes-digest-2012-01-01.pdf

Ramses
    http://www.dnatribes.com/dnatribes-digest-2013-02-01.pdf