Re: Lack of female protagonists in media

Options
Ghost Leopard
Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5L2MBPBl3I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video was peru good. Explained points not previously brought up in six's last thread

• Feminists ? about the lack of female protagonists because they wrongly assume males and females are interchangeable

• Games and movies are about escapism, males like playing as men they wish to be and females like playing as guys they wish to be with. Females don't want to be a heroine that has trip rescue a guy because females aren't attracted to those type of men in real life.

•When females do take on the protagonist role in action flicks it always darkens the tone. People are ok with seeing men get beat up, they aren't ok with women going through the same thing.

• Gives examples of how classic movies would be changed with female protagonists: boondock saints would have been a completely different movie.

•movies with female protagonists aren't impossible aliens is the best example.

• A world where a woman would have to become the main protagonist rescuing herself or getting justice would have to be almost devoid of men because men are naturally protective of women.

• The idea of a 100lb woman taking on 200lb men is beyond stupid.

Those are my main points feel gre too watch.

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is pretty interesting. I was tweeting about something similar recently. I think he makes a lot of good points here. But we can't ignore the fact that there are a lack of real women media. Especially in movies. There is the ? called the Bechdel Test. It goes like this:

1. Are there 2 or more named female characters in a movie?

2. Do those 2 females characters talk to each other?

3. Do they talk about something other than a man?

? seems really simple and basic, but you'd be shocked how many movies fail this test. What does it mean? I dunno. Maybe nothing. But I don't think that's coincidence. Interesting ? .
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I liked the movie "Winter's Bone" alot. It had a female protagonist.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    meh.

you're a ? .

You hate women and you're proud to say it but because it is not socially normal yet to love another man the way you want to; you decide that you'll just ? on women while having sex with them. Then verbally and physically abusing women because you hate them.

While deep down inside you yearn for a strong man to hold you dear.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    I liked the movie "Winter's Bone" alot. It had a female protagonist.

Ditto. I love that joint. (Fails the Bechdel test miserably, I think)

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    ? theres mad movies with female protaganist,

sister act 1 and 2 lol
    aeon flux
    hanna
    ? bill
    ? bill 2
    death proof
    jackie brown and the other 100 pam grier flicks
    angelina has about 100 of em

thats all off the top of my head, ? just wanna complain about ? .
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5L2MBPBl3I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Video was peru good. Explained points not previously brought up in six's last thread

• Feminists ? about the lack of female protagonists because they wrongly assume males and females are interchangeable

• Games and movies are about escapism, males like playing as men they wish to be and females like playing as guys they wish to be with. Females don't want to be a heroine that has trip rescue a guy because females aren't attracted to those type of men in real life.

•When females do take on the protagonist role in action flicks it always darkens the tone. People are ok with seeing men get beat up, they aren't ok with women going through the same thing.

• Gives examples of how classic movies would be changed with female protagonists: boondock saints would have been a completely different movie.

•movies with female protagonists aren't impossible aliens is the best example.

• A world where a woman would have to become the main protagonist rescuing herself or getting justice would have to be almost devoid of men because men are naturally protective of women.

• The idea of a 100lb woman taking on 200lb men is beyond stupid.

Those are my main points feel gre too watch.

One Eyed Kanadake Queen of Meroe would ruin all you ? .
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prometheus had a female main protagonist and I enjoyed it.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    Wanna hear a joke?

Womens' rights.

aye hoe. you aint gone answer my pm? :(
  • FourEfil
    FourEfil Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thought six made another thread for a sec
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FourEfil
    Options
    Theodis wrote: »
    it'd be nice if we could have an honest discussion about this... but the ? that bout to start posting in this thread go ? ...making jokes, trying to sound like Alphas...

instead actually giving our lil pretenious princess a chance...@sixsicksins...six made some good points but as usual you idiots put her on the defensive and make her impossible to talk too...

lets see if we can actually get some type of dialog going this time huh?
    Re-read the GTA thread there were a lot of good points, some still not answered

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lifetime movie channel?
  • Ghost Leopard
    Options
    One of the better points in the video is that ironically feminists act like objects and damsels in distress more than anyone.

They ? about whatever is bothering them but in cases like this where a solution would be to make your own game/movie with a female lead they won't do it, they want someone else to do it.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How r we measuring the lack of female protagonists?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the better points in the video is that ironically feminists act like objects and damsels in distress more than anyone.

They ? about whatever is bothering them but in cases like this where a solution would be to make your own game/movie with a female lead they won't do it, they want someone else to do it.

It's happening more and more. Slowly there are more female game developers. And if they really want the issue to change they need to focus on encouraging female game developers.
  • Dirty Sanchez
    Dirty Sanchez Members Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain1 wrote: »
    vides was peru good - Ghost Leopard

feel gre too watch.
  • FourEfil
    Options

This was the one of many good points in that thread. Developing a video game in general the H.N.I.C. is the Creative Director (sometimes it can also be the one funding your project-the suits), but most of the time it's the CD. CD comes with the vision of what he/she wants and that's where the Art Director comes in, they manifest the vision of the CD. Art style, appeal, visuals, etc.

• Ghost Leopard
    Options

It's happening more and more. Slowly there are more female game developers. And if they really want the issue to change they need to focus on encouraging female game developers.

The issue still isn't a lack of female developers because even they prefer male protagonists.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »

With feelings.

The issue still isn't a lack of female developers because even they prefer male protagonists.

Can you substantiate that? I've never heard of women preferring male protagonists all the time.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chun Li was GOAT though:

chun-li-4.gif
  • Ghost Leopard
    Options
    Stopitfive wrote: »

With feelings.

Can you substantiate that? I've never heard of women preferring male protagonists all the time.

Sure watch the video where dude brings the evolutionary psychology of male female interaction and how that plays out in video games and movies that are action Horror or adventure.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope y'all ? are smart enough to realize that any rationality for sexism excuses racism too.

"Men would rather play as men than women"

Okay..so the racist says

"The white male would rather play as a white male than a black one"

Then ? will complain about no black characters.