Commons Best Album is.....

Options
D.Original
D.Original Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭
Like Water For Chocalate. For years i woulda said Resurrection or One Day It Will All Make Sense. But LWFC has aged beautifully. Not only was Common in top form for this one but so was Dilla. Questlove had a big hand in it too. 14 years later this album still sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fTbzW3wbIj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fTbzW3wbIj4

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All my hip hop head friends argue with me about this ? . They all say resurrection. Clearly, their ears are broken.
  • D.Original
    edited September 2013
    Options
    I said Resurrection for a long time but it didnt age as well. Plus Com hadnt reached his peak of an MC yet. But that shows you how good dude is(or was), the way i see it he got 4 classics under his belt.

• Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember this used to get a little radio play
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Naw Resurrection only got 4 good songs to me. Orange Pineapple Juice, ThisIsMe, RResurrection, I used to love H.E.R.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LWFC is probably a top 3 Common album (and yeah butter than Resurrection) but I think Be is his masterpiece.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Resurrection...( cuz it saved his life and career) then Be ( cuz it saved his career).....Dilla s work on like Water for chocolate tho my goodness
  • D.Original
    Options
    I would put Be right behind LWFC
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be>LWFC
    Be is 11 strong tracks all the way through. Yeezus made a Chi town Illmatic.
    LWFC has about 3 joints. With the classic " The Light" ft Aaron Hall
  • soulfulcat
    soulfulcat Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Before Be, it was LWFC.... But u can't deny Be. Perfect album for him
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can debate BE and LWFC all day and neither argument would be wrong
  • VIKINGSALLDAY
    VIKINGSALLDAY Members Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I think BE is his best overall work. My favorite though is One day it'll all make sense.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tough choice...

I can most definitely say "Electric Circus" is not the answer...

1. BE
    2. LWFC
    3. Resurrection
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Be is cool but I like Finding forever more,I think its one of his best albums top 3 in his catalogue and is criminally slept on imo. I never got into Be like that whereas FF seems to be structured better with each track following after one another without it sounding out of place down to the very end with no filler. Ive been meaning to make a thread just off the strength of its singles alone, 4 classic gems. Its my favourite common album next to lLWFC so its a toss up between those two.

And yea FF is a classic imo.
  • TrueGodHS
    TrueGodHS Members Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BE is a hip hop classic to me. Such a classic piece of music with no filler at all. Straight hip hop at its essence and core

Like Water for Chocolate is my no. 2 album for him. I honestly think he put forth some serious effort on this ? , and it's a classic to me as well. Nothing bad on this album that I can remember.

One Day It'll All Make Sense in my no 3. album for him. Retrospect for Life, Invocation, and a few other joints made that album straight ? to me
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn. I can say with confidence that Common has 4-5 certified Classic albums to his name. Not many rappers can say that. And by not many i mean, common and maybe 3 other rappers max if i sat and thought about it.

Like Water For Chocolate
    Be
    Finding Forever (imo)
    Resurrection
    One Day It Will All Make Sense (imo)

The Dreamer The Believer was another awesome album. I wouldnt call it a classic though.
  • BrilliantRapscallion
    BrilliantRapscallion Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Options
    Be > Resurrection > LWFC

Although, for what it's worth...Electric Circus is definitely slept on, it sure as hell isn't everyone's flavor but it's still a very good album.
  • D.Original
    Options
    Be > Resurrection > LWFC

Although, for what it's worth...Electric Circus is definitely slept on, it sure as hell isn't everyone's flavor but it's still a very good album.

I wasnt feelin electric circus at first like most people, but after goin back years later its dope album. i wasnt feeling the dreamer the beleiver, seemed a little forced.
  • L.O.S.T.
    L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • D.Original
    Options
    TrueGodHS wrote: »
    BE is a hip hop classic to me. Such a classic piece of music with no filler at all. Straight hip hop at its essence and core

Like Water for Chocolate is my no. 2 album for him. I honestly think he put forth some serious effort on this ? , and it's a classic to me as well. Nothing bad on this album that I can remember.

One Day It'll All Make Sense in my no 3. album for him. Retrospect for Life, Invocation, and a few other joints made that album straight ? to me

Retrospect for Life and ? changed the way i listened to music, two of the deepest tracks ive ever heard.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Top 5 MC no doubt

Resurrections always been my favorite from him though..

I think its dope when listening to resurrection & then listening to dreamer/believer right after since both were mainly produced by NO I.D.

If you haven't, you should!
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Easily Like Water ... What some would call his magnum opus. I mean you can argue 'The Light' is his most famous song.

The Ummah (DILLA & ?uestlove) also exhibited a masterclass in production on that album .. Let's not forget that classic DJ Premier joint on there too

Anytime I listen to Be I shake my head at how incredible KanYe was on the boards with sampling old school soul records. That's some real dusty soulful ? right there. 'Real People' with those horns (? ) ..

Finding Forever, Electric Circus, The Dreamer, The Believer, One Day ..., Resurrection all solid albums

Common Sense is an underrated and unappreciated HipHop legend.
  • SnuffDaddy
    SnuffDaddy Members Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    That, "One Day It'll All Make Sense", "Be" & "Resurrection" are prolly my favorites.