Call of Duty Players 'Aren't ? Gamers', Says Infinity Ward

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Despite this, he reckons their loyalty to the franchise is unwavering.

Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward has suggested that the people most engaged with the franchise aren't really gamers at all, as they don't play any titles that aren't affiliated with the series.

That's according to executive producer Mark Rubin, who told OXM that he didn't expect the imminent arrival of the next-gen consoles to have much of an impact on the make-up of COD's audience.

"Regardless of platform - people's gaming habits aren't going to change just because there's a new platform," he said. "We have an enormous amount of players who are more in the casual game space, but they play a lot.

"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say; They aren't ? gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night. And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform. So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it."

Last week, Call of Duty publisher Activision threw down the gauntlet, warning GTA dev Rockstar that Ghosts would be snatching back all the records GTA V has managed to accrue since it released. By the sounds of things, the franchise's fiercely loyal fanbase will be crucial if it's to succeed.

Call of Duty: Ghosts is set to release on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC and Wii U on November 5, with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions being available when the consoles launch.

Comments

• kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A billi in 3 days??? Good luck with that bruh ... calk of duty is slowly dying.. same ? diferrent year
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And you wonder why there is always something game breaking i.e Last/Final/stand, Dead Mans Hand, Support EMP, Target Finder. You got people like this @ the helm. SMH.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've met so many people that are like what the developer stated, especially a lot of these white dudes where I work.

The ? is sad because they are almost like junkies how hyped they get over map packs and ? . SMH.
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The hype has died.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Recipe
    Options
    I've met so many people that are like what the developer stated, especially a lot of these white dudes where I work.

The ? is sad because they are almost like junkies how hyped they get over map packs and ? . SMH.

You cant say these guys arent ? gamers if they play every night and get geeked over map packs thats a ? gamer by definition.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This describes how I started out.

I bought a PS3 strictly to play COD. Started with BOP2 and then went back and copped the whole series. And rinsed them all.

Only other game I played was FIFA up until this year.

I coped a lot of big titles from the last 5 years cheap from the PS store and now I would say I'm a casual gamer.

The Arcade has had a massive influence on me gaming. I lurk a lot in here.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    However I've had every console since PS1 cause of my kids...but I rarely played then by myself.

But now I got my own personal PS3.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Games got boring as ? . Too many sequels, they are basically doing the same thing they did with the franchise when it still focused on WWII at least make more bout nam or some ?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The term "? " was never defined and so it never really made sense, and "Gamer" is no longer needed. I hope both die next gen.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wack franchise.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    A billi in 3 days??? Good luck with that bruh ... calk of duty is slowly dying.. same ? diferrent year

Word cause that is what killed Madden's sales. Oh...wait...

People that play COD exclusively are dumb.

With Madden it's different because that's the only official NFL licensed football sim. In fact, they're one of the only football sim franchises, period. For that fact alone, the games will sell as long as the they're decent. In this case there's plenty of other alternative, military style shooters for people to go to.
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    only CoD games I've bought are CoDMW2 and 3 i like action adventure games
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    kanggoodie wrote: »

Word cause that is what killed Madden's sales. Oh...wait...

People that play COD exclusively are dumb.

With Madden it's different because that's the only official NFL licensed football sim. In fact, they're one of the only football sim franchises, period. For that fact alone, the games will sell as long as the they're decent. In this case there's plenty of other alternative, military style shooters for people to go to.

Thanks 4 clearing that up for me... but he knew that ? already
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you only play 1 or 2 games you are not a "gamer".
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not all of them, but most of them.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And they are correct

They are fast food customers

everyone eats fast food but if you eat a steady diet of it.. it surely doesnt make you a lover of fine dining
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Why so much cod hate?
  • The Recipe
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

All I play is Battlefield and I am a Gamer Bro.
  • Karl.
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

You play a game. You're not a gamer though. You're a casual player. You probably compete with your aunts and nieces on candy crush.

It's not a diss. Gamers enjoy and play multiple genres on multiple platforms.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

You play a game. You're not a gamer though. You're a casual player. You probably compete with your aunts and nieces on candy crush.

It's not a diss. Gamers enjoy and play multiple genres on multiple platforms.

Or...at least that's one definition.

All really just depends on who you ask which makes the word subjective and, honestly kind of regressive.
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Why can't someone play one game at a time?

It's not like battlefield the only game he gonna play ever again. That's just his game right now.

LOL @ trying to make gaming an exclusive club
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was on MW3 heavy for almost two years. You see me online and think that's the only game I played. Nope.

There are different levels of gamers.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Not saying it's an exclusive club. I'm just saying there is a difference between casual players and gamers.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I guess my definition of gamer is completely different than everybody elses.

Gamer to me is what you are when you not just play, but follow, look up, research, try to get the most of, and look forward to game releases, even if its for a select few or only one game.

My father plays xbox with the kids at his hospital, and ocassionally on his phone if the game is free. But he's not a gamer. He likes NBA Jam on IOs, but he doesnt care that he doesnt have the full version, or finding hidden characters, or playing it against people online, and certainly doesnt know he couldve played it 20 years ago on a genesis.

Same as in liking a few songs from a band and actually following the band.

Better example is sports. I like soccer, but I wouldnt say i follow it. I know the rules and enjoy it if its on, but i dont know any divisions, leagues, etc. Whereas football, I follow, know when every game is on, every score, divisions, etc.

how attached you are to the game is what really defines you as a gamer or not. those people buying only call of duty and every map pack are very much gamers.