How Many Disses Does It Take To Win A Battle?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is inspired by the "So Eminem made 9 disses to Benzino" thread.

I can remember back in the 80s. You had KRS vs MC Shan/Juice Crew and there was LL vs Kool Moe Dee. Those battles basically took 2 songs per person to decide the winner. KRS had "South Bronx" and "The Bridge is Over". Those two songs basically put a serious dent in MC Shan's armor and he never regained his popularity. The LL vs Moe Dee beef was Moe Dee throwing darts with "How Do You Like Me Now", "Let's Go" and the awful "Deathblow". LL pretty much won the battle with "Jack the Ripper" and then "To Da Break of Dawn".

In the 90s there were beefs, most notably Tupac's "Hit Em Up" which was a 'one and your done' battle

There were other battles in the 90s that went back and forth like NWA vs Cube or Common vs Cube. Also LL vs Canibus.

But in the 2000s something strange happenned. It seemed like making diss records was a new phenomenon and (I'm just speculating) it seemed that with the internet and home computers, you could make a record dissing somebody for very little studio cost. Maybe that's why diss songs became so prevelant in the 2000s.

But if you take it to the Nas vs Jay beef, there were still only 2 rounds. Each rapper made two songs dissing the other and then the fans decided the winner.

But now, or really since 50 Cent/Eminem, it seems like wax beefs take years, decades, if not entire careers to determine a winner. I haven't heard all of them but I heard D-Block was making entire mixtapes dissing G-Unit. Somebody mentioned something about Joe Buddens still dissing people like 10 years after the fact. I've heard that Game is a chronic disser although besides "300 Bars", I haven't really heard him go hard (no ? ).

So how many disses does it take to beat your opponent? Seems like you should be able to put out one song that throws the first jab and then wait for your opponent to respond. Then you respond to THAT and you're finished, or he's finished.

These modern day diss rappers that just go around making entire mixtapes dissing people and throwing subliminals are lame. They're boring. And this isn't aimed at Kendrick Lamar. I've heard the "Control freestyle" and I liked it. That's not what I'm talking about. That seems more like friendly competition. I'm talking about people who try to make a career out of dissing and can't sell any records...so they diss.

How many songs/freestyles should it take for a good battle MC to defeat his opponent?

Comments