Teacher fired w/pay after racist Trick-or-Treat Facebook rant

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
An Ohio high school music teacher has been placed on leave after posting racially charged rants on his Facebook page decrying the lewd actions of a 'ghetto' trick-or-treater.

David Spondike, 51, was suspended with pay Monday from Firestone High School in Akron pending an internal investigation into allegations of inappropriate behavior.

The local school district became aware of Spondike's online comments after an anonymous whistleblower emailed his expletive-filled Facebook tirades to several local media outlets.

According to Akron School Superintendent David James, his remarks were directed at a teenager who exposed himself in front of young children and urinated on a telephone pole while trick-or-treating in Spondike's neighborhood in Copley Township Sunday, Ohio.com reported.

Spondike's Facebook account has since been deleted.

Spondike then went on a tangent about the prevalent use of the N-word by 'black people' in his school.

'Racism is racism and to allow one race to use [a] word and not another IS racist. What I said was absolutely NOT racist by any stretch of the imagination.'

Mr Spondike further elaborated on the subject, telling his critics: 'If you want to be a language policeman, I suggest you find yourself in a George Orwell novel. When I try to get the teenagers in my school to stop using the word [racial slur], I only get laughed at.'

1382975117-spondike.jpg

article-2478955-190F08AF00000578-95_306x423.jpg

Troubled past: Spondike's personnel records indicate that the Firestone High School teacher has been investigated four times since 2000, including for an incident where he threw a chair in class, and another instance where he spat on the floor in anger.

A year later, the music teacher was again accused of misconduct after he spat on the floor during class because he was angry that a student dozed off.

Around the same time, he landed in hot water for admonishing a fellow teacher for his failure to reprimand a student dressed in 'very baggy pants,' the station WKYC reported.

In 2007, Spondike faced allegations of pinning a student from Goodyear Middle School against the wall, but he was ultimately cleared in connection to the incident.

The school district will hold a hearing within the next week to determine what, if any punishment, Spondike will face.

Comments