Most disliked NBA players

Options
Cymicaldane
Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2013 in From the Cheap Seats
Got into a big debate yesterday regarding Kobe being quite the egomaniac in L.A from about 04 and onwards. I brought up the Vince Carter/Toronto mess and even T-Macs 09 season with Houston. The questions are this. What examples of selfish/egomaniacal players apart from the obvious ones (Kareem, Melo, Wilt, A.I, Laimbeer and so on) are out there? And could Kobe be key to much of the Lakers trouble over the years (like when he quit midway against the Spurs)

And finally. Which current NBA players would you say, have a "team before individual" approach to the game?

Comments

• 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Laimbeer was a selfish player? Kareem and Wilt as well, huh?
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since when is winning trouble
  • Cymicaldane
    Options
    The argument for Wilt, was that he was rumored to be a ball hog, hence the 100 point game. (he did, however get the assist title in one season, 67-68 i believe)

Kareem was rumored to be a loner and not having much time for team mates. An old story also told that he refused to sign an autograph for a kid once. That kid turned out to be Magic.

Winning never equals trouble. At least not in my book. But some players have to had caused trouble when their team werent winning out there
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How could they say Wilt was a ball hog as a center?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    oh I thought this was a thread where we was just gonna post what players we didnt like..
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ron Artest
    Allen Iverson
    Dennis Rodman
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mario Chalmers
  • coop9889
    coop9889 Members Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lebron was/is the most hated player in the history of the NBA.

Most ? never had to go through social media
  • Matt-
    edited October 2013
    Options
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, there is not a single player in the NBA who has a team first approach. It's just they're forced to take a backseat if they want a job and/or to win. It's certainly not by choice. It's more of a he's better than me approach or a ? happens approach aka I'll eventually get my chance to shine.

I don't even think you can make the NBA with a team first approach tbh.

Regarding the most hated topic, it usually refers to white america because they're so media driven. Based on that perspective I would say the most hated players are Lebron for the Miami stint, and Kobe for his ? case (because white people just think he got away with it due to status).

On the black side of things, It's pretty much all over the place. I know a lot of us get annoyed with the hype Lebron gets, when the media compares or says he's better than Jordan... but other than that the dislike is random.
  • Rollin_Thunda
    Rollin_Thunda Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thread title is kinda misleading...

I mean asking who the most disliked but really wanting to know who's the most egotistical/selfish is like going to a strip club and asking which stripper can shake that ass the best.

Its just mostly a matter of opinion and tolerance. I'm sure all of them got egos/selfish in one way or another. They wouldn't be on that level if they didn't.

BUT nonetheless I can't stand Shane Battier.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm drawing a blank.
  • Matt-
    Options
    so is this player that people hate, or a player that people hate on? because after posting on AHH for a while, i think i finally understand that hate isn't the same thing as hating
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hate jason collins and not cause hes ? i really dont care

i wish someone would ask him straight up in a league where the role of center is being diminished why the ? would anyone sign a bad one

hes probably praying to ? a player says i dont wanna play with no ? in some locker room interview so they can trot him out on tv like when roy hibbert said no ? in last year playoffs

as if everything ? related has to be approved by jason collins now what is he gonna do release a statement telling the ? to stand down like he a military leader or some ?
  • ckfree
    Options
    speaking of which

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASw3xqw4NtU

lol roy thought he was so cool when he said no ? you could tell

? him too
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • NYETOPn
    NYETOPn Members Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most disliked by which segment?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ckfree wrote: »

i wish someone would ask him straight up in a league where the role of center is being diminished why the ? would anyone sign a bad one

hes probably praying to ? a player says i dont wanna play with no ? in some locker room interview so they can trot him out on tv like when roy hibbert said no ? in last year playoffs

as if everything ? related has to be approved by jason collins now what is he gonna do release a statement telling the ? to stand down like he a military leader or some ?

I remember either first take or pti having a segment asking why wasn't he on an nba roster this year, and were teams discriminating because he's ?

I was like na he's just a ? . It'll be sad if a team signs him just because they wanna be ? friendly. That roster spot could go to someone that can actually play and help the team not his ? ass.
  • ckfree
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »

I remember either first take or pti having a segment asking why wasn't he on an nba roster this year, and were teams discriminating because he's ?

I was like na he's just a ? . It'll be sad if a team signs him just because they wanna be ? friendly. That roster spot could go to someone that can actually play and help the team not his ? ass.

they were also talking about it on open court a couple episodes back kenny actually wanted some team to sign him just because he was ?

what he did wasnt even courageous

coming out at the beginning of his career}}}coming out the very near end of it

how convenient he knows what he was trying to do
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »

From the moment Jason Collins said he's ? there's been more people who said him being a mediocre to below average center past his prime meant his career was most likely done. Even when Kenny Smith said that ? about signing him on Open Court the rest of them disagreed with him. Nobody is advocating signing Collins for a PR move lol
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Basketball players get alot of hate cuz most of them are blacks.. just like nfl wide receivers. Arent two of the most hated NFL QBS happen to be AT LEAST part Mexican? Thats all I wanted to say.

• Cymicaldane
    Options
    I never liked Chris Laettner, such a ? player (im sure he was worse when he played at Duke)

Didnt have time for Kurt Thomas either. He should have played hockey, he would have been a hell on an enforer type player there.

I sometimes wonder, if Mark Jackson (of Knicks fame) had a serious little man complex. The way he played guard is what i would call physical and then some

The Sheed (no-brainer). For pulling 41 technicals in one season (00/01)

I dont dislike Dikembe Mutombo. But sometimes he just hit people left, right and center with his elbows.

Bruce Bowen really ? me off a lot of times as a player.
    http://youtu.be/tdxXvkMB6gA < this being one of them.

Artest, being Artest is always sure to be included.