The lost art of the clean finish

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I was browsing some wrestling sites and came across a pretty interesting article. I'll chop it up to its important part:
So in the space of 12 months, we have had only 3 main event matches that have finished cleanly, and walking away from 9 pay per views with that hollow, cheated feeling where a controversial finishoccurred. Now while there is a time and place to produce a controversial finish, I believe these figures show that it has been well over used and now has become the expected, instead of having the shock value it is meant to have.

Having a controversial finish usually allows the loser not to look weak in a loss, but as we have seen many times this year, the WWE’s fear in making one of their limited top stars look weak has resulted in endings which has left fans and viewers upset and cheated. If a match itself has great story telling, great action, and the two wrestlers involve given top quality performances, then the “losing” wrestler doesn’t look weak in the eyes of us fans. I feel the WWE has no faith in their current performers that they can pull this off. What the WWE and the younger talent need to do is look at some legends for how clean finishes can be done and still have both superstars look strong.

For those of you interested:
http://www.wrestling-edge.com/view-lost-art-clean-finish/

Anyone think he's got a point?

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It all went downhill when they hitched there entire brand to cena andade the entire roster second fiddle to his superman...even during the attitude era other story lines and characters were allowed to flourish
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Crackas dont wanna put others over no more. Even a big head like Stone Cold put other guys over cleanly. Thats what made guys like Sting and The Rock so great to me. Even Taker put over guys all the time cleanly from the 90s to early n even mid 2000s.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think they do enough to protect characters but even I can't deny that the lack of clean finishes is annoying as ? .

It's reaching AE levels of unnecessary interferences.

What was interesting is that he did a count and all 3 clean finishes at WWE PPVs in a 12 month span were Cena going over...which shouldn't surprise anyone.