Xbox One has free, ad-supported Xbox Music streaming

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

ORIGINAL STORY: Xbox One owners will be able to stream tracks for free via Xbox Music, Microsoft has announced.

The Spotify-style ad-supported service is already available via the web and on devices running Windows 8.1.

It marks an improvement on the current Xbox Music setup for Xbox 360, however, which will only operate if you purchase an Xbox Music Pass. But you will still need an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Passes will still be available for Xbox One owners, and will again unlock ad-free streaming.

Confirmation of the service's Xbox One details comes from Microsoft exec Albert Penello, speaking on Twitter, as spotted by The Verge.

Comments

• joshuaboy
    Options
    UPDATE: Or not - Microsoft admits mistake.

UPDATE: Xbox One will not have free, ad-supported Xbox Music streaming after all, the company has now said.

Microsoft exec Albert Penello has admitted on Twitter he was mistaken over the issue. Ad-supported Xbox Music streaming is not supported on the console at all.

Xbox One owners will get 15 free song plays on their console and then must buy a Xbox Music Pass to listen further, he explained.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I used my 30 day trial. Was ok. The app stopped working after iOS 6 though.

I'd never pay a monthly fee to listen to music.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Xbox:the future of microtransactions

Next thing u know, it's gonna be a few to turn on your console

Gonna have to buy a set of points and its gonna be some odd ass number each time u turn on your console

- you have used 33 console points. The next console start requires you purchase 29 more or face system lockout due to system negligence-

Yep,
    I can imagine that and Xbox fanboys will make some excuse like
    "It cost to run servers and provide a good media experience bro"
  • Karl.
    Options
    Ms points are history. This thread has nothing to do with micro transactions.
  • RawAce
    Options
    Ms points
    Microtransactions
    Taxing your loving fan base for everything possible

All the sane ? to me
  • RawAce
    Options
  • Karl.
    Options
    RawAce wrote: »
    Ms points
    Microtransactions
    Taxing your loving fan base for everything possible

All the sane ? to me

Micro transactions exist on most if not all platforms these days. MS points don't exist anymore.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, just like Sony's Music Unlimited basically with the updated info, except with a better trial.

XB1 can also play CD's, stream your entire, personal music library, or snap in music apps while gaming. I don't believe PS4 can do any of these things?
  • joshuaboy
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    So, just like Sony's Music Unlimited basically with the updated info, except with a better trial.

XB1 can also play CD's, stream your entire, personal music library, or snap in music apps while gaming. I don't believe PS4 can do any of these things?

Things PS3 could do that Xbots claimed were irrelevant and had nothing to do with the "gaming experience"
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    focus wrote: »

Things PS3 could do that Xbots claimed were irrelevant and had nothing to do with the "gaming experience"

Oh how the tides have turned this go around...
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? paying for online now right?
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? paying for online now right?

Yup.. only games online that are free are f2p games
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And all those other services, hulu Netflix etc. I dont think you need to pay to acces those. Or even access the PSN store I think.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    but ? who stan for PS dont care about all those apps anyways its all about gaming ... you pay to play online yes?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well no, because Im still on PS3, will be for a good while and so far thats still free to play online. I pay for Ps+, but if XBL was giving away the stuff that PS+ gave the PS3 and will give the PS4, I don't think anyone would be complaining.