PS4 Camera: Limited Voice Commands, No Gesture Controls

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in IllGaming
PS4 to Launch With Limited Voice Commands
Can turn your console off, but not on.
by Luke Karmali NOVEMBER 12, 2013

Speaking to Engadget, Sony reps confirmed that anyone trying to use the PlayStation Camera's features won't be able to turn on the console with voice alone at launch, nor will they be able to control any of the third-party apps that have been announced.

Despite this, the console can be turned off with voice commands, and games can be opened. ? Controller recognition is also limited at this stage, only being used for logging in, and there's zero gesture integration present. Sony explained that more functionality will be added over time, though stopped short of saying precisely when we could expect updates.

@TheLoniousMonk ....please explain this?

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    What is there to explain about that? It's been known for weeks that the voice and gesture controls would be limited at launch. Who cares though? Those things were never big selling points for the PS4. M$ was the one making a big deal out of them. Sony is really only adding them to keep pace which is really just icing on the cake since most of the people buying the PS4 weren't expecting to have that functionality at all anyway.
  • focus
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You promised us the PlayStation Camera would be able to do everything the Kinect 2 could do though, and that Sony just wasn't telling us that yet. But now, the PlayStation Camera is looking worse than the original Kinect.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is there to explain about that? It's been known for weeks that the voice and gesture controls would be limited at launch. Who cares though? Those things were never big selling points for the PS4. M$ was the one making a big deal out of them. Sony is really only adding them to keep pace which is really just icing on the cake since most of the people buying the PS4 weren't expecting to have that functionality at all anyway.
    TrinityAnimation.gif
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I never promised you anything. I don't work for Sony. I don't know what they are attempting to implement into their system, so I'm not in a position to make promises on their behalf. In fact, my stance about most of the PS4 stuff is that we don't know one way or the other because Sony hasn't been forthcoming.

Past that, you're still exaggerating what I said because I never claimed that the Eye 2 could do everything the Kinect 2 could do. The Kinect 2 is a better piece of tech and stuff like reading heart rate is likely beyond the Eye 2's capabilities. I may have said that things like voice control and gesture control are possible with the Eye 2, and clearly they are. I'm not sure if your reading ability is compromised or something, but that article didn't say that those limitation would be there forever. It was specifically talking about what was available at launch, and again, that's not news because Sony made that clear weeks ago.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can imagine the first day adopters sat in their living room talking to a box that doesn't listen.
  • focus
    Options
    I don't ever remember Sony making this clear before today. It looks like they promised voice commands, gesture and other camera features, and now 2 days before launch are saying they actually won't have these things.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    Wasn't this already posted? Majority of people won't use the majority of these features anyway. Gesture controls? Really?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ 'you promised us'

What a sad life focus must live. This forum truly consumes his life.

As far as the PS4 not being able to listen to me talk, I think I'll manage.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    I don't ever remember Sony making this clear before today. It looks like they promised voice commands, gesture and other camera features, and now 2 days before launch are saying they actually won't have these things.

Quit making up ? . They went a long time before they ever said the cam would have any of those features. Then when they finally did confirm the features, they made it clear from the beginning that they would be very limited at launch. Nobody checking for a PS4 expected to have those features. Hell, if you ask the average person that preordered a PS4, I'm betting they probably don't even know that there are plans to implement the features.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whats the point of the sony cam?
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    It's an attempt to capitalize on the motion gaming market, nothing more nothing less.
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    I doubt devs will commit to this.. seems like a waste of time on Sony's part
  • VulcanRaven
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Same with Kinect except MS is putting all of their ducks in that pond. Sony been had a camera though and are just sticking with it. Their consoles success is not determined by the camera fortunately. I mean this whole talk to the console thing will fail.
  • focus
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I just read that the ? recognition requires the controller to be in your hand. lol. What's the point? If you have to grab the controller anyway, you might as well log in with it. This ? is half-baked as ? . Its not ? recognition at all, its controller recognition. But I guess otherwise there is a big nightlight stuck on the dual shock 4 for no reason.

• VulcanRaven
    Options
    It's an attempt to capitalize on the motion gaming market, nothing more nothing less.

Since they started the motion gaming thing with the eyetoy I figure they just don't want to let it go.People do buy t as an accessory though which is all it is ...not needed to actually use the console and integrated into the OS.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

I don't know about that. I don't think it will be a major factor for the PS4, but there is a niche audience that will support it. People act like the Move was a complete dud, but if I'm not mistaken it had more than a million sales and it was tacked on mid life cycle. The Eye2 isn't as integrated into the PS4 as the Kinect 2, but it is still something that is there from the start.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People always forget the power glove.

It's not who does it first. It's who does it better.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hence the reason it's OPTIONAL and not mandatory
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMAO ....... PS4 doing better pre-order numbers than the XB1 and nobody even care about the camera or even ordering it separately ......... the only person taking notice of it is Focus who claims he isn't even interested in PS4.
  • John_Blazini
    Options
    Same with Kinect except MS is putting all of their ducks in that pond. Sony been had a camera though and are just sticking with it. Their consoles success is not determined by the camera fortunately. I mean this whole talk to the console thing will fail.

I think it will play a big part in development for X-1 games because it seems to be better tech and like its been said before everyone will have it who owns the console.
  • focus
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Devs are already supporting Kinect tho. I think every X1 game has Kinect support in one way or another...Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, all the first party games, etc... but Kinect is already so integrated into the system and interface itself that every game automatically benefits from it by default.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Devs are already supporting Kinect tho. I think every X1 game has Kinect support in one way or another...Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, all the first party games, etc... but Kinect is already so integrated into the system and interface itself that every game automatically benefits from it by default.

This is true, but it should be pointed out that none the games you listed use the kinect extensively as it relates to gameplay. That's not to say that the games don't benefit from that functionality to some degree. I'm sure they do. I just don't believe it's integrated to a degree that makes the experience vastly different in games like Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty.

I think developers of multiplat games that make extensive use of the camera on one system will almost have to do the same on the other.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited November 2013
    Options

This is true, but it should be pointed out that none the games you listed use the kinect extensively as it relates to gameplay. That's not to say that the games don't benefit from that functionality to some degree. I'm sure they do. I just don't believe it's integrated to a degree that makes the experience vastly different in games like Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty.

I think developers of multiplat games that make extensive use of the camera on one system will almost have to do the same on the other.
    I don't know if the Kinect being a "default benefit" just for being there is the case though. I read that all these reports of XBox One games having native output of 720p instead of the 1080p PS4 has is most likely a result of the Kinect using too much of the system's power. And the percentage of GPU that is dedicated to Kinect functionality can't be touched by developers. This goes for how well the game runs as well. It's especially going to suck once developers start using more and more of the systems power. The One reaching its cap is going to show a lot more.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's ok though. 720p is completely worth it to call an airstrike on zombies or be penalized by the ref when you curse in real life.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    That may be true, but the XB1 is already a technologically inferior system when compared to the PS4. That's why it's smart for M$ to focus more on the varied functionality offered by the system including the Kinect features.