Am I Selfish? Do I sound like an old Conservative? Or.....

Options
Knives Amilli
Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
Do I just recognize the difference between helping and enabling?

Peep game:

My mother is asking me....and has asked me before to give a little something, anything to help out my cousin (lets call him junebug)...Junebug is currently unemployed, with no means of transportation, jumping from family member to friend as far as living means AND to top it all off, has a very sick and mentally ? infant daughter.

Now I got no problem extending charity. None at all. 'Tis the season and all anyway, I guess.

But, what kills me is this folks: for the past ? , 8 ? years? Junebug has been completely unproductive. He ran the streets of Riverdale/Dolton area of the Chi with his siblings, barely passed high school, has never had a steady job for longer than a month and no consistent or clear goals, and just only in 2012 decided to quit smoking weed.

To sum it up, Junebug has not suddenly fallen on hard times, he just now is in a position where he has to take care of another life, so the stakes are higher.

Now i'm not the shining example of hardwork and I recognize some aspects of my somewhat middle class two parent household suburban privilege. But the thing is? When these ? were out doing nothing, I was going to school and working multiple jobs. At my lowest, I worked 3 jobs, working 13 and 14 hour days. Then I finally joined the military....and well you get the picture.

I kinda feel some type a way about the whole thing. Am I being callous on some pull yourself up by the boot strap ? ? I mean I recognize that Blacks have had a hard time getting jobs during the economic downturn....but this ? wasn't doing to help him self before.....

"Indeed, Allah will not change the condition of a people until they change what is in themselves." (i'm an atheist, but I agree with the concept)

Comments