How do you feel about characters being re-casted with different actors?

Options
soul rattler
soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Does it bother you when actors get replaced in tv shows and movies? For example, Don Cheadle replacing Terrence Howard as Rhodey in the Iron Man franchise or Ashton Kutcher replacing Charlie Sheen as a lead character in Two and a Half Men.

Should studios respect real world deaths like Heath Ledger and not explain away the noticeable absence of dead actors? Or should they operate on the mantra of "one monkey don't stop no show"?

How should Universal Studios handle the future of the Fast & Furious franchise now that Paul Walker is deceased? Should they scrap the franchise altogether, bank on the star power of Vin Diesel/Tyrese/Ludacris/The Rock/etc while explaining Walker's absence, or replace Walker altogether?

Comments

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its fine when whoever replaces them does a better job than who they replaced. But its hard to replace a actor who has been in so many movies in a franchise like paul walker. But yet if Vin diesel died NOBODY would care lol
  • soul rattler
    Options
    I don't get the hate for Vin Diesel. He's delivered in ? , Fast and Furious, and Riddick franchises and now he's going to be apart of the Marvel comic universe.

Anyway, I think it's ok for them to explain away death as long as it's done tastefully. For example, in the Dark Knight Rises, they could have just shown the Joker being the only inmate in the Arkham Asylum not released.

As for the Iron Man/Rhodey situation, I don't dislike Don Cheadle, but I would have liked to see Terrence Howard take his star power to the next level by putting on that suit.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont mind when the new actor is a completely different character.

But when a actor replaces and actor for the SAME character (Example: Cheadle and Howard) then it bothers me.

Those dudes dont look anything alike.
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it annoys the ? out of me.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it annoys the ? out of me.
    I agree, sometimes. It really depends on the character, and especially if I watch the movies one after another. Like I watched the Dark Knight right after Batman Begins and the actress change for Bruce's girlfriend ? me off for the entire movie.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    R.I.P. Paul Walker but real talk Lucas Black >>>> Paul Walker.

They can continue on the franchise and ? off Walker then have Black follow in his footsteps and make him a long lost relative, the franchise won't lose fans unless Diesel and Black are out since let's be real. Fast and Furious 1 and 3 were the best in the franchise.

And for the record on Iron Man, Don Cheadle is a better actor but for Jim Rhodes I gotta say Terrence Howard >> Don Cheadle.

Two and half men is wack as ? , they should have used an actual funny ? with a crude sense of humor or use a person of another race. Ashton Kutcher is wack and unfunny.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I hate when it confuses me

it took a minute for me to realize that they had changed the actress on Shameless who the oldest brother was dating, not the one he got preggo( but really didn't) the other one

The 1st chick was the one from Suburgatory and Evil dead. I'm mad she didn't stay because that character gets naked a lot
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    The only one that bothered me was on Fresh Prince. Dark skin Vivian>>light skin Vivian.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    doesnt bother me at all.....

especially when they make a 4th wall joke referring to it
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get the hate for Vin Diesel. He's delivered in ? , Fast and Furious, and Riddick franchises and now he's going to be apart of the Marvel comic universe.

LMAO
  • Will Munny
    edited December 2013
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »

It bothered me because they should've gotten another dark skin actress. Carlton and Ashley were dark so it was believable that Uncle Phil and dark skin Vivian could produce those kids. They replaced Vivian with a lady that realistically wouldn't produce Ashley and Carlton.

On the flip side the opposite worked well on My Wife and Kids. The girl they brought in looked like something Tisha and Damon could've produced in real life.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    terrenca howard fukked up iron man the way he says tonys name.

he sounded ? as fukk an made everyone feel uncomfortable
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »

It bothered me because they should've gotten another dark skin actress. Carlton and Ashley were dark so it was believable that Uncle Phil and dark skin Vivian could produce those kids. They replaced Vivian with a lady that realistically wouldn't produce Ashley and Carlton.

On the flip side the opposite worked well on My Wife and Kids. The girl they brought in looked like something Tisha and Damon could've produced in real life.

Light skin parents can produce dark skin children and vice versa if they carry a dormant gene. It's not impossible. The bigger issue would be if the new actor coming in wasn't as good as the actor they're replacing. I think people get hung up on the Aunt Vivian thing simply because of the contrast in complexion. Talent wise, both actresses played the part equally well.

It's not like they replaced her with Mo'nique's loud mouthed unfunny ass.
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It bothered me the whole rest of the seasons of Spartacus. The original actor was so much better than the current one. It's annoying and shouldn't be done. Respect the dead.
  • Will Munny
    Options
    New Naevia was way worse than new Spartacus.

I remember when they find Naevia in the mines and he pulls her face up and it's not the same actor I was like "who the ? is this ? !?!"
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Light skin parents can produce dark skin children and vice versa if they carry a dormant gene. It's not impossible. The bigger issue would be if the new actor coming in wasn't as good as the actor they're replacing. I think people get hung up on the Aunt Vivian thing simply because of the contrast in complexion. Talent wise, both actresses played the part equally well.

It's not like they replaced her with Mo'nique's loud mouthed unfunny ass.
    Darkskin Vivian was the better actress IMO. I've never seen two light skin people produce a darkskin child. Uncle Phil was light and Vivian was dark but it's still realistic that they could produce Ashely and Carlton because light/dark couples produce light/dark children.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Its fine when whoever replaces them does a better job than who they replaced. But its hard to replace a actor who has been in so many movies in a franchise like paul walker. But yet if Vin diesel died NOBODY would care lol

Riddick > Walker's career
  • DarthRozay
    Options

lmao that's what bothered you about it?
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options

lmao that's what bothered you about it?

the biggest issue I had with the Aunt Vivian switch wasn't so much in appearance but personality.
    Dark skin Viv was a teacher/professor and went in for them kids
    Light skin Viv was dormant and stay at home mom
    I guess bleaching will do that to ya!
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been saying the same thing about fresh prince
    dark skin viv went hard
    light skin viv was mad passive

They did the same thing with family matters, got a light skin harriet who nothing like dark skin harriet

But that's tv, they always have light skin black women be passive and dark skin women be the aggressive one
  • DarthRozay
    Options
    lol I never even noticed the difference in personality, but now that you mention it I can see it in hindsight.

Besides the skin tone, the big physical difference was their frames. Dark skin Viv was boney as ? , Light skin Viv had some more curves.
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they usually change the actors in the first place because the character is not going to reflect that actors portrayal anymore to begin with.
    Dark skin Aunt viv and dark skin harriet were from the more serious sitcom side of the shows beginnings that type of writing was abandoned when the comedy and breakout characters got figured out.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    they usually change the actors in the first place because the character is not going to reflect that actors portrayal anymore to begin with.
    Dark skin Aunt viv and dark skin harriet were from the more serious sitcom side of the shows beginnings that type of writing was abandoned when the comedy and breakout characters got figured out.

Which means that it has less to do with complexion and more to do with the writers making decisions in character development. It's still the same character regardless of who played the part.

I didn't know that Heath Ledger was in the midst of doing some show when he died, so the producers got 3 different actors that were friends of Ledger including Johnny Depp to step in and the writers explained Ledger's death away by having his character change his appearance over a course of episodes.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    I almost forgot Harriet got replaced. Damn shame. She's the one who created the show. Family Matters was a spin-off of Perfect Strangers (the show with that Balkie guy and his cousin Larry) and she was the elevator operator. So, the show originally was supposed to be about the Winslows, in somethin familiar to the Huxtables.

Urkel was only supposed to be there for one episode, but the audience loved him, and that was that. Plus, FM was on the verge of being cancelled after the first season, so they rode it out with Urks. ? up thing is, they pretty much phased everyone out of that show near the end except Urkel, Carl, Laura, and Eddie.

I didn't think she contributed much to the show (at least, not on the level as the original Vivian Banks), but since she wrote most the 1st season episodes, she deserved better than what happened.