Did the ringtone era inadvertently ? NY/east coast music?

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
Could the rise of ringtones be the cause of why the last generation of NY rappers couldn't blow up? You had Jae Millz, Saigon, Stack Bundles, Papoose, Jae Hood, Grafh, Joel Ortiz, Jugganot, Hell Rell, 40 Cal, JR Writer, Cory Gunz etc. you had an entire generation of NY rappers that got caught in the changing climate of hip hop. At least the current generation is more prepared to handle it and they've made strides.

Comments

• OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    betcha cant do it like me>>>>>>>>>>>>every rapper on that list
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    Options
    jamaica u better than this, most of those rappers u posted had no chance and werent making no hits, east coast need to stop blaming others and look in the mirror

i can respect what nore said tho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNk4tV_1wds
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    C'mon b, not again.........lol....Mims, Ron Browz, Lil Mama, Webstar all got shine during that ringtone era...Maybe it wasnt the representation that people wanted, but it was there....lol
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Yea them mixtape rappers were weak outside of Ortiz.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that list is wack outside of Saigon and Joell... and those cats aint mainstream material...
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Nore spitting some interesting ? ...
    Ebro about to get the axe...
  • OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it really aint just one thing any way, its alotta reasons why ny fell off
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    jamaica u better than this, most of those rappers u posted had no chance and werent making no hits, east coast need to stop blaming others and look in the mirror

i can respect what nore said tho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNk4tV_1wds

Some of them made records that could've been hits. But they went through the very problems that Nore described in that video you posted.
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    C'mon b, not again.........lol....Mims, Ron Browz, Lil Mama, Webstar all got shine during that ringtone era...Maybe it wasnt the representation that people wanted, but it was there....lol
    Right when those guys were coming out, the system changed as far as songs becoming hits. JR Writer for example dropped a song called Grill Em in the summer of 06. The song was all over the mix shows but it never made the main playlist nor did they really push the record. Meanwhile in the south the radio all over that region supported those ringtone songs, so on the surface it looked like these new NY rappers couldn't make hits.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th is Jamaica?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    5th is Jamaica?

I just caught that...
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ny just gota make better music. No more ? excuses
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    Ny been making great music...
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »
    Like what?
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, it's the fact that out of all the rappers mentioned in the OP there were maybe 2-3 great albums released by all of them combined smh
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Like what?

Bad music, djs, southern takeover , lack of unity, 50 etc
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually agree with n*ggas like Peezy for once. None of these rappers mentioned in the op had star potential. The ringtone era came and went. These rappers mentioned in the op wouldn't have blown in any era.

I will say this though. The dominance of the south and prominent NY rappers moving south and altering their music to cater to that Southern fanbase did wipe these generic mixtape can't construct a song much less an album "my gun like .../ my car colour of .../ I'm in the hood like ..." rappers out the water.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Options
    this southern music is trash so the "make better music" ? is very interesting...
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Like what?

Kinda cosign but NY was always competitive. It was never like how these Southern rappers use eachother as a crutch. Styles P spoke about this in a recent Hot97 interview. Let me find that link and drop it since Ghost dropped alot of Jewels and had Ebro under pressure in a discrete way.

I think 50 played a big part in the so called division though, I'll give u that.

That Southern takeover hasn't really produced alot of good, let alone classic material IMO. Saleswise ain't too many Southern rappers on top. From the rappers that blew after '00, only a handful are still relevant like Luda, TI, Jeezy...
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Like what?

I don't think 50 had anything to do with it IMO. The changing climate had a profound effect. The prior era had it easier (Lox, Mase, DMX, Cam, Nore etc) all they had to do was make music, the DJ spins it. They never had to worry about catering to the clubs/strip clubs, or worry about program directors that feel like the record won't give them ratings.

By the mid 2000's things changed. The new era rappers tried the same formula the old era used. Basically starting with the street single, followed by the lead single etc. the DJ plays it and it's a hit. The new era tried that and that was no longer the way to get hits. It wasn't that they made bad records IMO.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda been said already, but none of them cats were making transcending music. Them ringtone dudes popped off cuz it was new, even if it was wack to us. Notice none of them are poppin now cuz they're stuck on that sound or failing at others.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ny just gota make better music. No more ? excuses

Yup cause the music from the south was just unbelievably dope
  • Muhannad
    Options
    Like what?

I don't think 50 had anything to do with it IMO. The changing climate had a profound effect. The prior era had it easier (Lox, Mase, DMX, Cam, Nore etc) all they had to do was make music, the DJ spins it. They never had to worry about catering to the clubs/strip clubs, or worry about program directors that feel like the record won't give them ratings.

By the mid 2000's things changed. The new era rappers tried the same formula the old era used. Basically starting with the street single, followed by the lead single etc. the DJ plays it and it's a hit. The new era tried that and that was no longer the way to get hits. It wasn't that they made bad records IMO.
    Those new era rappers were nowhere near the level the rappers that blew in the late 90's were. These n*ggas mentioned in the op were never destined to blow. These dudes were onedimensional mixtape rappers with zero crossover appeal, not much charisma, stale subject matter and subpar lyrics.

I think 50 played a part because instead of being happy he was on top and forging ties like rappers like Jigga have done successfully he had to be spiteful and try to blackball acts. He even tried to rationalize it by saying he got that from his time in the druggame where he wouldn't let anyone eat on the block. He played a bad part by starting petty beefs and trying to stunt rappers who weren't aligned with him careers.
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5th Letter
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    Like what?

Those new era rappers were nowhere near the level the rappers that blew in the late 90's were. These n*ggas mentioned in the op were never destined to blow. These dudes were onedimensional mixtape rappers with zero crossover appeal, not much charisma, stale subject matter and subpar lyrics.

I think 50 played a part because instead of being happy he was on top and forging ties like rappers like Jigga have done successfully he had to be spiteful and try to blackball acts. He even tried to rationalize it by saying he got that from his time in the druggame where he wouldn't let anyone eat on the block. He played a bad part by starting petty beefs and trying to stunt rappers who weren't aligned with him careers.

I'm not saying they were on their level although it's some of them lyrically could give any of those late 90's rappers a run for their money. My point is that the model changed and the new generation couldn't adapt.

I don't think 50 Cent was stopping NY dj's from playing NY music. Cats like Ebro like to use him as an excuse.