Rappers who had a great 2013 year.

Options
black caesar
black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was thinking to myself which rapper had a good year, and decided to make this thread. Of course, y'all can chime in with your list. I'll set it off. This is my particular order:

1. Jay-Z - let's be real. Has parlayed a deal with Samsung to distribute his album, and was certified platinum before the album even dropped, not to mention the check he got. Went on tour, sold his remaining stake in the NETS and started his sports agency and was signing cats left and right. Then he ended the year with him getting his own cigar line. Damn Hov, what are you gonna do next?

2. Nipsey Hussle - If not for all the moves Hov made, Nip would have had the number one slot. All of us hip-hop heads knew Nip was putting out quality music, but Complex Mag's ? ass was ? on him. Nip got put on to a booked called "Contagious" and read a story about a $100 cheese steak and decided to drop a mix tape for $100 called Crenshaw. All of us love the hustle and thought he was bugging at the same time, but he was smart and made it free as well. Needless to say, #proud2pay was a success. Jay-Z saluted the move and bought 100 copies, and sold out the rest. The man grossed $100,000 in one day! HIs move made him a media sensatation. He even had an article on Forbes! The author of Contagious and Nip are working on a new chapter for the book, countless interviews, not to mention ? on Complex. Most of these rappers didn't make $100,000 unless they went on tour. That's what you call a Victory lap.

3. Troy Ave - I also seen his music posted on 2dopeboyz before, but never checked him out. However, I got a chance to hear him on Fabulous Soul Tape 2 "Only life I Know" So when the Reason stated he had an album dropping and it was bringing it back to the NYC sound (My old city) I had to peep it out. Son brought it with the album, that made NYC give a standing ovation. Let's not forget that he got an Addias endorsement deal as well and is not signed. Then on Dec 24, he dropped a mixtape called "White Christmas 2" which was a banger. NYC needs that feeling back, and so far him and Mack Wilds (Not a rapper) are the only ones doing that.

4. Kendrick Lamar - Despite not dropping an album this year, he managed to shake up the rap game, by going for the jugular. BIg Sean dropped an unreleased song called "Control" with Kendrick Lamar and Jay Electronica. To this day, I still don't know what Big Sean's verse sounds like. Kendrick just went in on the track, and got everyone talking. Tons of rappers responded to him. Joell Ortiz, Papoose, Lupe, Gold, and some others responses stood out. Rosenberg was riding Lamar's ? real hard. (No Jason Collins) He even called out rappers by name on the song, and ain't none of those rappers even said ? . To make things even more interesting, The TDE cypher Kendri k took shots at Drake, and even Eyrka Bash tweeted to Drake saying he has to respond. Despite being played by Nia Long, Badu showed him love, so he's good.

5. J. Cole - He gets props for deciding to drop his albnum the same day as Yeesus. Not only that, he had a good album, and beat the sophomore jinx, he even got a huge co-sign from NaS when he remixed "Let Nas Down"

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    edited December 2013
    Options
    jay - samsung deal, rocnation sports, success of mchg
    drake- working with the raptors, OVO deal, success with his music
    kdot- control verse, touring with kanye, jay featured on his song
    nipsey- breaking ? with his mixtape/album he had earlier
    krit- one of the best mixtapes of the year
    chance- one of the best mixtapes and he a breakthrough artist
    cole- came out same day as kanye and i believe he is outselling him. two successful singles. and those mini mixtapes he brought out was dope
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jay

kdot
    nipsey
    krit
    chance
    cole

Drop your reasons FAM. I want to read your insight on it.
  • GunTown
    GunTown Members Posts: 3,489
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Eminem - sold 1.5 million in 2 months and 800K first week with a number 1 single on the billboard and highest selling hip hop album of 2013

Nipsey Hussle - sold a lotta units with his Crenshaw mixtape independentley

Kendrick - caused a lotta hype with his Control song and created net hype
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    freddie gibbs- put out ESGN been killin features everywhere for alot of people

Juicy J- bandz make her dance,stay trippy, been killin features
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bronson had a pretty good year