Do you consider a producer a fraud if he

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
buy his beats and reconstruct it then try to pass it off on his own? I heard producer like Dre , Dj Paul & juicy j and eminem does this.

Comments

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    If their whole career is based off doing that then yea, but the first 3 u named put in alot of work to do ? like that. Plus being a producer isnt soley about making the beat, alot of them create the treatment for the song ,help create the hook etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • r.prince18
    r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dude what the ? does that mean?

like... remixing, fine tuning and adding or subtracting some ? ?

sound like sampling to me.

yeah that what i was asking.

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well hiphop has its own definition for a lot of terms we define lyricist differently then any other Genre and the same can be said for producer. In a traditional capacity a producer is the grand Coordinator of the musical project sometimes they write lyrics other times they compose melodies and always they figure out what sounds best with what. The exception being the executive producer who in most cases just provides financing for the project. But in hiphop we view the DJ and beat makers as the producers thus taking a more organic ownership of the work, in part this is due to the fact hiphop usually does not use live instruments so the person whether DJ or beatmaker/sound engineer is responsible for coordinating a lot of sounds including the vocals. Dre in particular has acted in all capacities at various points in his career and has seemd to move more into the general musical role of Producer versus the HipHop perception of it...
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2013
    Options
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Uncreative maybe but a fraud? I don't see what part of paying for a beat and arranging it how you want it involves deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who ever sells beats to Em ....... won lol
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Producers and beat makers have distinct differences. I don't none of the aforementioned buyin somebody ? and passing it off as their own. Maybe on a heard your beat it has potential lets make it better collaborative type deal. But not just blatant let me have that. Puff ain't even do that. He ain't buy ? he just threw his name on it and gave a few of the Hitmen royalties.
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    well hiphop has its own definition for a lot of terms we define lyricist differently then any other Genre and the same can be said for producer. In a traditional capacity a producer is the grand Coordinator of the musical project sometimes they write lyrics other times they compose melodies and always they figure out what sounds best with what. The exception being the executive producer who in most cases just provides financing for the project. But in hiphop we view the DJ and beat makers as the producers thus taking a more organic ownership of the work, in part this is due to the fact hiphop usually does not use live instruments so the person whether DJ or beatmaker/sound engineer is responsible for coordinating a lot of sounds including the vocals. Dre in particular has acted in all capacities at various points in his career and has seemd to move more into the general musical role of Producer versus the HipHop perception of it...

/thread
  • OhMars
    OhMars Members Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think this is down played a lot in hiphop, but this is just as bad a ghost writting. Im cool with people assisting in the proscess as long as they get there credit.
  • sr_the_freshman
    sr_the_freshman Members Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you aren't in the studio with your pro tools or some beat program like FL Studio making original content, you are a fraud. The stuff mentioned in the OP sounds more like engineering. I've never heard of a self proclaimed producer buying beats, then mixing them like some DJ. If you purchase the beat, you may own a licence to use it commercially, but you cannot claim it as your own without some serious mixing, rendering the ? unrecognizable to the original.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Producers and beat makers have distinct differences. I don't none of the aforementioned buyin somebody ? and passing it off as their own. Maybe on a heard your beat it has potential lets make it better collaborative type deal. But not just blatant let me have that. Puff ain't even do that. He ain't buy ? he just threw his name on it and gave a few of the Hitmen royalties.
    I'm sorry bro, but IMO the whole "I haven't played a note or wrote a lyric but I produced that!!" ? just opens the door for rich snake ? like Diddy to take credit for something they had no part of. If I make a beat or write a song, how another ? gon take credit. ? is very ?
  • MF_Doomerville
    MF_Doomerville Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sorry bro, but IMO the whole "I haven't played a note or wrote a lyric but I produced that!!" ? just opens the door for rich snake ? like Diddy to take credit for something they had no part of. If I make a beat or write a song, how another ? gon take credit. ? is very ?

Lol you acting like them cats didn't agree to that ? . "Ghost producers" get paid to do just that, produce some ? and pass it off as someone else produced it. Scott storch, melman, danger, are some examples of that. Whoever produces for diddy obviously, the list goes on. Their name appears in the CD booklet under whoever produced that track though so they do get producers credit and $.
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

my man, two words: The Dude.

Quincy Jones aint play note on that Thriller album....but you cant tell anybody that did differently. Just Blaze, went and got his homeboy to do drums for Show Me What You Got, but is it fair to say he aint produce it because he aint play it. Dr. Dre got Mike Elizondo and Scott Storch to help arrange ? all throughout 2001, but Dre didnt produce it? Hell Scott Storch is all over The Roots older ? , but ? still think ?uestlove make all the beats for them.

Now lets take Best I Ever Had by Drake, albeit its not production Im talkin but same ? , different toilet. That Kia Shine ? wrote it, or some of it, sold it to Drake and his camp, they built on it then made it a hit.

Do we take credit from Drake for that? I dont think so, but some ? may beg to differ.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options

my man, two words: The Dude.

Quincy Jones aint play note on that Thriller album.....

Word up. Half of the people that responded don't know what a producer does. A producer doesn't neccessarily make the beat, he sits in on the studio session and tells the vocalist if the vocal take was good, tells him to put emphasis on certain words, etc.

A good example of what a producer does is what Puffy did on the "One More Chance (Remix)" by Biggie. Listen to that and then listen to "MVP" by Big L. Both songs came out around the same time and and they're pretty much rapping about the same thing but Biggie's version is 100X better because Puffy added his magic touch.