Spin-off Thread] Biggest Surprises This Gen

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in IllGaming
Courtesy of joshuaboy's idea...

Like the title says, what games really surprised you this gen. They don't have to be perfect 10's, just games that you maybe didn't have high expectations for or maybe weren't really on your radar that turned out to be pretty damn good/great. Irony maybe? Lesser expectations meant a greater overall experience? Or nothing about the game gave you any reason to believe it would be good...until you played it!

Here are mine:

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Nobody expects movie tie-in games to be any good...especially when the movie itself sucks. But this one took a lot of liberties, kept things mature, and the gameplay fun. Yea, I got sick of ? Africa, but the ending definitely left me wanting more!

Left 4 Dead - This one was completely off my radar up until a WEEK before its release date. Then I played the demo and fell in love. The game itself is fantastic, but I can't help but think that removing the terrible 2 year wait inbetween the annoucement and actual release date that is so common these days helped the feeling alot.

Prince of Persia - I never played a PoP game before this one. Its just a beautiful game with great platforming and a really interesting story. I would've liked a little more combat, but I can't complain. The core experience was strong enough. And I would argue that it had one of the best endings this gen. Too bad they ? off the sequel for a run of the mill movie tie-in.

And, two games that I knew would be great all along, but that I know surprised alot of people:

Batman: Arkham Asylam
DJ Hero

Comments

• joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Definitely gotta go with Batman: AA. That game surprised a lot of people, especially because of previous attempts in the superhero genre. This brought the world of Gotham to you as it should be.

And much recently: Transformers: War for Cybertron - any old school (growing up in the 80's) that was into the first gen transformers series will love this game. It brought the history leading up to the G1 cartoons to you. Gameplay is similar to Gears of War. Story is pretty good. This was a surprise to me, after the 2 based on the movies.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I know this one is a given but...

Fallout 3 I've never played an RPG before and this game just blew my mind. I clocked crazy amounts of hours on it. Got over 1000g's off it.

Really? I've never been a big RPG fan either. Is this the one to start with?
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Im gonna say Batman:AA too.
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Transformers WFC

oh and Fallout 3 is a dope ass game.
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    And much recently: Transformers: War for Cybertron - any old school (growing up in the 80's) that was into the first gen transformers series will love this game. It brought the history leading up to the G1 cartoons to you. Gameplay is similar to Gears of War. Story is pretty good. This was a surprise to me, after the 2 based on the movies.
    im getting curious about this game. Last decent transformers game i played was one for the PS2.
  • joshuaboy
    edited July 2010
    Options
    im getting curious about this game. Last decent transformers game i played was one for the PS2.

Trust me, it's good, especially if you were into Transformers as a kid - not talking about the new stuff on Fox and Disney, I'm talking G1 days that used to show on WGN. Gameplay is similar to Gears so you know its good. Gotta love accelarating towards an enemy, jump and transform mid-jump and come out guns blazing or coming down on an enemy with a melee (Optimus' axe is goat).
  • Baby7776
    Baby7776 Members Posts: 20
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i was thinking of picking up an rpg and was leaning towards mass effect 2, does fallout 3 have the clunky ass mechanics of most other rpgs like oblivion? A lot of rpgs that i have tried out feel like the combat is just tacked on at the last minute. Mass effect 2 demo just felt like the best of both worlds as far as the shooting and rpg elements, is fallout 3 similar as far as the amount of polish? gamestop has a buy 2 get 1 free on used, so i may throw fallout in the mix. Cosign about transformers, i was a non believer until i bought it on some impulse ? and havent regretted it at all.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Batman AA played this game 2wice thru this game and Borderlands are my fav games of 09

Transformers: WFC jus got this yesterday and it is dope havent played much yet and after i post this ill be play it some. cant wait till i get internet back and try out online.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • earth two superman
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The Jamel wrote: »
    Borderlands... ? Epic...

im waiting for the game of the year. i heard this ? was indeed dope.
  • joseph sun
    joseph sun Members Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    how long does borderlands take to beat? I played some yesterday but im gonna mail it back to gamefly because im not in the mood, unless its not that long.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010
    Options
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i just copped that batman, ? is dope, 1st batman game thats any good
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2010
    Options
  • Wishbone Jones
    Wishbone Jones Members Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i beat borderlands
    cant wait for part 2
  • joshuaboy
    edited July 2010
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    Batman AA played this game 2wice thru this game and Borderlands are my fav games of 09

Transformers: WFC jus got this yesterday and it is dope havent played much yet and after i post this ill be play it some. cant wait till i get internet back and try out online.

My internet is down at home until next week too. Just beat the game today and was hoping to jump online and run some co-op but gotta wait till I'm sorted out. ? techs wait till Friday to come check out my system and then tell me they have to take the unit in to run some tests and it might need to be replaced - and they don't work on weekends so I gotta wait until Monday to hear what's going on. Cha!!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    My internet is down at home until next week too. Just beat the game today and was hoping to jump online and run some co-op but gotta wait till I'm sorted out. ? techs wait till Friday to come check out my system and then tell me they have to take the unit in to run some tests and it might need to be replaced - and they don't work on weekends so I gotta wait until Monday to hear what's going on. Cha!!

damn shtty. the WiFi signal i was getting from the one of my neighbors got too weak to pick up so i cant connect. i would landline but my and the wife live with her pops and this ? lives in the past he still got dial-up. so ill have to wait a few months after im done with school and get a job to get back online.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Fallout 3 - I really don't like RPG's but this one really pulled me in. This is the only one I can really play that's such a good RPG to me.

Borderlands - Absolutely amazing game period. I haven't beat it yet but dang it's good and fun.

Batman AA - Hands down the best superhero game ever made.