BroddieDOPEdweebzTheBoyRogenocidecutterdhatt 5 votes
Maybe So
23%
5th Letterpowerman 5000Young Gunner 3 votes

Comments

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    However came up with that universe ? needs to be taken to the middle of a field and be shot execution style.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited January 2014
    Options
    False
    icks86 wrote: »
    However came up with that universe ? needs to be taken to the middle of a field and be shot execution style.
    so you gonna ? Vince @icks86?

Anyways great sig.. LOVE THAT GAME!

• Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Maybe So
    WWE is the big fish in a little pond. They aren't the end all be all of wrestling but to say are the universe isn't far fetched
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    False
    To the layman WWE is the only pro wrestling that exists. They were the winner of a long running war dating back to breaking away from the NWA. So they get to rewrite history. That's one of the advantages of running a global mainstream monopoly at least in terms of TV time and ppv. But nah this isn't true at all especially now where it's even easier to follow any promotion you want thanks to the internet. If it was I wouldn't be following what's going on in NJPW, Dragon Gate, AAA, PWG and even ROH and TNA despite not having watched a single thing from WWE in over 3 months.
  • TheBoyRo
    TheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    False
    this is why i miss wcw, at least they were competition, tna really isn't
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True

It's no big deal. It's just a collection of characters and angles, all shows/movies have "universes". To give an example Marvel Comics has a "universe", The Walking Dead has a "universe", the Matrix had a "universe", WWE universe is no different, it's just marketing.

That said however, the WWE is the equivalent of the NFL or the NBA, it's the major leagues. That's just not deniable, you can say you prefer college football to the NFL, or you prefer high school sports to pro sports but that doesn't change the sheer name value and size of the major league.

To put things into perspective:
    It's the second oldest wrestling company in the world (behind the NWA), it is the largest professional wrestling promotion in existence and has been, for almost 15 years, a virtual monopoly.

This isn't to say other promotions aren't good or anything they just don't have the brand strength, the history, the money, the size to be as significant as WWE.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Got damn "WWE Universe" ? gets me tight everytime i hear them say that ?
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GodGivBiz wrote: »

@GodGivBiz

Vince didn't come up with that, he probably gave the go ahead but he didn't come up with the WWE Universe concept.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    False

@GodGivBiz

Vince didn't come up with that, he probably gave the go ahead but he didn't come up with the WWE Universe concept.

I dunno who did for sure @icks86

But the whole WWE is my universe schtick definieyly sounds something egomaniacal enough of a concept for Vince to come up with imo.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Options
    False
    Oh ya btw why some of you scared to vote @jono and @dalyricalbandit
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True
    The fact that it's where all wrestlers aspire to be,

the fact that it towers over any other wrestling company,

the fact that it's the grand stage of them all,

the fact that it's the king of all wrestling,

the fact that Vince has changed the face of wrestling,

the fact that WWE could buy out all other companies,

they absolutely are the wrestling universe.

It doesn't matter how many other promotions there are, in the WWE universe, they're simply planets in orbit.

The term WWE Universe, though, is a smart marketing ploy. The fans feel like they have a voice and unlike other universes (DC, Marvel, Breaking Bad etc..) WWE gives their fans the illusion they matter so much that their opinions (votes, app interaction) actually matters. We know it doesn't.

• Broddie
    Options
    False
    Not every wrestler aspires to be a "WWE Superstar". Also if WWE really was the grandest stage of all then NJPW wouldn't be as big as WWE is over in their region. Grandest stage in North America is more accurate.
  • jono
    Options
    True
    NJPW has no events in this country and WWE can run and do very well in Japan, that right there alone speaks volumes about the difference in strength.

That's why I used the college/high school sports vs professional sports analogy. Look at the University of Oklahoma, it has a tremendous following, maybe more so than many NFL teams but that doesn't change the fact that the NFL doesn't have a team in Oklahoma, it can even be argued that the Sooners are big as they are because there is no NFL team so it's all they have to cheer for there.

So the fact that AAA or NJPW are big in their area is irrelevant because WWE only comes through those areas and still make their money, they have no permanent fixture in Mexico or Japan to compete directly with them. AAA & NJPW basically doesn't exist in WWE's primary market and WWE still has a strong foothold in theirs.
  • jono
    Options
    True
    I just did a quick search and CMLL is also older than WWE. So I guess wwe is the third oldest active promotion.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Oh ya btw why some of you scared to vote @jono and @dalyricalbandit

scared to vote? wtf lol i just aint vote cause besides WWE i really dont ? with the other organizations
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    False
    Nope CMLL, AAA, NJPW, ROH and TNA are still around
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wrestling game is shady and needs to be taken over
  • Broddie
    edited January 2014
    Options
    False
    Nope CMLL, AAA, NJPW, ROH and TNA are still around

Pretty much. The question wasn't "Is WWE the top of the mountain?" it was is "WWE the wrestling universe?" meaning everything that is pro wrestling. They clearly aren't when so many other promotions still are up and running and catering to their fanbase who they don't necessarily always share with WWE even in light of WWE having a monopoly over NA.

You go on any dedicated wrestling forum and you see fans talking all the time with frequency about all sorts of promotions on a global scale. Not just WWE like you would see here or on other wrestling subforums of message boards where more casual fans post. That shouldn't be happening if WWE is the only thing in the industry that mattered.