A black man's journey through medical school

Options
THOT PILGRIM
THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
Great vid. I'm an advanced nursing student and I can definitely relate to his experience.
Lots of gems for black college students, regardless of your field.
Plus he fine AF...cotdamn!!! :\">

http://youtu.be/6IAYtDFqQ9k

Comments

• High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great vid. I'm an advanced nursing student and I can definitely relate to his experience.
    Lots of gems for black college students, regardless of your field.
    Plus he fine AF...cotdamn!!! :\">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_YD8GqwUyE

Good drop though.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Couple thoughts.

1. Good drop and good for him. I like to hear people talk about their medical school experience since I can relate.

2. Nursing school is nothing like medical school. The content is much, much tougher and much, much more dense.

3. His Step 1 score and Step 2 scores aren't really that high. 212 and 228, respectively, aren't great scores. They fall in the median range for students. So it's fair to say that when he says he struggled with the content, he's not overstating that aspect of his education.

4. Minority medical students of all kinds really have to work harder than white medical students for a variety of reasons. Racism and nepotism in the medical field are extremely high. Part of it is b/c there are only so much residency positions available in the major cities, so some aspiring doctors have no choice but to seek positions in more rural areas. With that clog of applications comes the stereotypes against minorities of all kinds. Blacks will face racism, regardless. But East Asians also face what's called "The Bamboo Ceiling", where they viewed more positively in as subservient and meek, and dominant personalities are discriminated against b/c "nobody likes a dominant asian". South Asians face the perception of communication and cultural difference, so a lot of South Asian doctors have to either score higher than their counterparts and really overachieve to nullify that perception, and/or whitewash their habits and personalities to fit in with white people. And a lot of this factors in b/c when you apply for residency positions, the night before the interview, you are usually taken out to dinner with other residency interns and you are judged at the dinner by how well you get along with them.

5. The "studying smarter" thing is definitely true. But he is likely overstating how much of a balance he created for himself, since studying for Step 2 during clinical rotations requires long hours at the hospital and then studying as soon as you get home until the time you sleep. In all likelihood, his social life probably consisted of probably 1 or maybe 2 short outings per week with his fellow clinical rotation students.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Good drop. And I give this brother credit for putting his struggles out there like that.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dope drop @sully

@sully I have a weird bump on my ? . Can I take a picture of it and PM it to you?
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i see @sully ignoring my question. :(
  • sully
    Options
    i see @sully ignoring my question. :(

@Sully was studying till 2am for his Step 2 exam, just like this dude. And spent all day at the clinic. Go ahead and send the pic. But i can only advise you to see the doctor. I'm not liable for anything I can or cannot diagnose.
  • THOT PILGRIM
    THOT PILGRIM Members Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    Couple thoughts.

1. Good drop and good for him. I like to hear people talk about their medical school experience since I can relate.

2. Nursing school is nothing like medical school. The content is much, much tougher and much, much more dense.

3. His Step 1 score and Step 2 scores aren't really that high. 212 and 228, respectively, aren't great scores. They fall in the median range for students. So it's fair to say that when he says he struggled with the content, he's not overstating that aspect of his education.

4. Minority medical students of all kinds really have to work harder than white medical students for a variety of reasons. Racism and nepotism in the medical field are extremely high. Part of it is b/c there are only so much residency positions available in the major cities, so some aspiring doctors have no choice but to seek positions in more rural areas. With that clog of applications comes the stereotypes against minorities of all kinds. Blacks will face racism, regardless. But East Asians also face what's called "The Bamboo Ceiling", where they viewed more positively in as subservient and meek, and dominant personalities are discriminated against b/c "nobody likes a dominant asian". South Asians face the perception of communication and cultural difference, so a lot of South Asian doctors have to either score higher than their counterparts and really overachieve to nullify that perception, and/or whitewash their habits and personalities to fit in with white people. And a lot of this factors in b/c when you apply for residency positions, the night before the interview, you are usually taken out to dinner with other residency interns and you are judged at the dinner by how well you get along with them.

5. The "studying smarter" thing is definitely true. But he is likely overstating how much of a balance he created for himself, since studying for Step 2 during clinical rotations requires long hours at the hospital and then studying as soon as you get home until the time you sleep. In all likelihood, his social life probably consisted of probably 1 or maybe 2 short outings per week with his fellow clinical rotation students.

Well duh. I was speaking in terms of his comments about race & achievement.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • sully
    Options
    sully wrote: »
    Couple thoughts.

Well duh. I was speaking in terms of his comments about race & achievement.

he implies towards the end that his views of race & achievement were more of his own doing and lack of communication with his classmates than its actual existence, when he talks about how other students had similar issues as him. That whole video ends up being less about the struggle of being black in medical school and more about the actual struggle of a medical student in medical school.