The Chronic Vs Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    OB4CL

I thought Death Row ? was the epitome of rap until Wu-tang came out, and then I pretty much stopped listening to Death Row until 2Pac went there.

The Chronic is tight and all, but to me it was easily outshined by ? . Meanwhile, OB4CL provide a blueprint for East Coast rap that no one else recreated better.
  • TheMarxmen
    TheMarxmen Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Options
    Cuban Linx.
  • 270crownst
    270crownst Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "GOAT for the EAST COAST which wasnt saying much
    for that time period. OB4CL was the best non biggie
    album to come from the east. Lets be honest outside
    of biggie's first album and wu tangs first album there
    was nobody on the east coast was worth listening to
    until DMX dropped. And then to compare it to maybe
    the best rap album ever made is a joke.Youre most def the trol of the year.. Just by that comment
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    I refuse to choose
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    c'mon man, just pick one
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Chronic
    "Got myself some Chronic...I wants to get ? up"
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have to say that the production on OB4CL is over The Chronic, I'm not talking about beats but over all production.

That album is put together like a film, it's like the Godfather or Goodfellas put on wax. From beggining to end it all ties in together.

I also heard that Killer Mike decided to stop hustling and get his life together after listening to Striving for Perfection.

GOAT album.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man I haven't heard the chronic in over 14yrs but I'll grab that purple tape in a heart beat
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Man I haven't heard the chronic in over 14yrs but I'll grab that purple tape in a heart beat

This. As good as the Chronic is, you don't really even hear anybody talking about it like that anymore.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Raekwon and Ghost can rap circles around anybody on the Chronic. And RZA's beats were perfect for the time.

I would disagree Kurupt in his prime was just as dangerous and MC as both of them

Nah, Raekwon and Ghost were making up their own slang on Only Built For Cuban Linx. Think about that, they made up their own slang for an entire album. Kurrupt was good but he didn't break any new ground. he was just a good rapper with good beats.

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only Built For Cuban Links is a like a movie from beginning to end...

The Chronic goes hard but it's not ? with that masterpiece...

If you would have put up ? it would have been much tougher choice for me...
  • goldenja
    edited February 2014
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »

@anchwon87

Nah, see these two albums made more sense to me because both were, how shall I say this... "solo/record label/debut" albums

Trust me, I got something else for that album... keep your eyes peeled for it
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    The Chronic

This. As good as the Chronic is, you don't really even hear anybody talking about it like that anymore.

So people are talkin about OB4CL and not one of the most influential albums ever? Oh
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Chronic
    Chronic changed the course of hip hop. Cuban Linx was a very good album but it didnt give me a change the course of hip hop type of feel
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »

@anchwon87

Nah, see these two albums made more sense to me because both were, how shall I say this... "solo/record label/debut" albums

Yeah but Cuban Linx was a posse album too. Ghostface is on almost every song and there's several posse cuts like "Wu Gambinos", "Ice Cream" "Knuckleheadz" "Guilotine Swords" and "Verbal Intercourse"
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Chronic
    Personally I hear ? from the Chronic all the time I guess this depends on where you are located Geographically a lot of kats have never even heard of OBFCL over here so my knowledge of the album is a Oddity unless it is a real head I am conversing with...
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Impact The Chronic>>>> The Actual Music OB4CL>>>>>>
  • goldenja
    edited February 2014
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »

@anchwon87

Yeah but Cuban Linx was a posse album too. Ghostface is on almost every song and there's several posse cuts like "Wu Gambinos", "Ice Cream" "Knuckleheadz" "Guilotine Swords" and "Verbal Intercourse"

by "record label" I meant "posse".. like everyone from the same group and record label (or special guest appearances) were on a lot of the tracks as well.

just couldn't think of the word at the moment lol
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    But that's what I'm saying, Only Built For Cuban Linx is really a posse album, just like The chronic. On the Chronic Snoop and Kurrupt are the main MCs, on Cuban Linx Raekwon and Ghostface are the main MCs but they're both posse albums.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

So people are talkin about OB4CL and not one of the most influential albums ever? Oh

Yeah, I hear people talk more about OB4CL than the Chronic.

And I think people are overrating how influential the Chronic was. It laid the Blueprint for West Coast Rap. That's big, but that's about all it did. I'd say OB4CL was more influential. You can name more big named artists and albums that borrowed from it than you can for the Chronic. I can't say OB4CL invented the whole drug/mafioso rap motif since Kool G Rap is really the one to thank for that, but OB4CL sure as hell breathed life into and made it something everyone from the East was trying to bite for a while.
  • goldenja
    Options
    But that's what I'm saying, Only Built For Cuban Linx is really a posse album, just like The chronic. On the Chronic Snoop and Kurrupt are the main MCs, on Cuban Linx Raekwon and Ghostface are the main MCs but they're both posse albums.

agreeeed.

23vfi2d.jpg
  • Stew
    Options
    The Chronic
    Stew wrote: »

Yeah, I hear people talk more about OB4CL than the Chronic.

And I think people are overrating how influential the Chronic was. It laid the Blueprint for West Coast Rap. That's big, but that's about all it did. I'd say OB4CL was more influential. You can name more big named artists and albums that borrowed from it than you can for the Chronic. I can't say OB4CL invented the whole drug/mafioso rap motif since Kool G Rap is really the one to thank for that, but OB4CL sure as hell breathed life into and made it something everyone from the East was trying to bite for a while.

So what u saying is OB4CL changed the game more than The Chronic did?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Wu-Tang did change the game. But Only Built For Cuban Linx wasn't Wu-tangs first album so its not really a good comparison.

The Chronic changed the game because it was a West coast posse album.

Enter the Wu, which was the first Wu-tang Album also changed the game because it was and East Coast posse album. Only Built For Cuban Linx was the 4th installment of Wu-tang albums after Enter The Wu, ? (Tical) and Old ? Bastard (Return of the 36 Chambers).
  • Stew
    Options
    The Chronic
    Lmao one cat says OB4CL "breathed life into Mafiaso Rap" another cat says Biggie created Mafiaso Rap.

U ? need to make up your mind
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    In a landslide. OB4CL was goat but come on man. U cant be serious w/this ?

You do realize that "goat" means greatest of all time?

GOAT for the EAST COAST which wasnt saying much for that time period. OB4CL was the best non biggie album to come from the east. Lets be honest outside of biggie's first album and wu tangs first album there was nobody on the east coast was worth listening to until DMX dropped. And then to compare it to maybe the best rap album ever made is a joke. U cant be serious w/this ?

The single most ignorant statement I have ever come across on this site.

Truth hurts now take ur L and keep it moving

You have managed to create one of the dumbest statements known to man and somehow I take the L. Brilliant.