Noose Found Around The Neck Of Statue Honoring Civil Rights Icon At Ole Miss...

Options
2»

Comments

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Never understood why black ppl elect to go to Ole Miss if they have other options. The history at that school is disturbing.

Same could be said for all southern colleges if not all colleges period. From ol miss to uga to west point they all went hardon their black students. I come from an educated family and going back for at least 3 generations we all went to hbcus. They all lived well, valued education and encouraged their kids to go to college. We never had to beg whitey to let us come in through the side door or worry about somebody hanging a noose somewhere.

Integration ? black ppl up. Not we r abandoning our own institutions that have served us well since reconstruction to be treated like ? at theirs. Smmfh
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ole-miss-james-meredith-statue-arrest-extremely-close
    Report: Authorities 'Extremely Close' To Arrest In Ole Miss Noose Incident

Law enforcement officials believe they're closing in on an arrest in the racial vandalism that took place Sunday at the University of Mississippi, according to the school's student-run newspaper.

University Police Department Chief Calvin Sellers told The Daily Mississippian on Tuesday night that authorities are "extremely close to making an arrest” in the investigation into the defacement of a campus statue honoring James Meredith, the first black student to be admitted to the school.

A noose and a flag showing the "stars and bars" of the Confederacy were found on the statue early Sunday.

The school's alumni association posted a $25,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and the FBI said Tuesday that it's joining the investigation.

Sellers, who sounded somewhat pessimistic about the inquiry when he spoke to TPM earlier this week, told The Daily Mississippian that an arrest could be imminent.

But he acknowledged that police aren't sure what charges will be brought forth.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A couple of yrs ago a got into a whole bunch of law schools.. Ole Miss was one of them. I think I applied because they waved my app fee..anyway I went to visit with a friend who was an alumnus and all I could think about was Mississippi burning... Oxford has a eerie vibe to it.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I keep telling you all: these saltines are ONLY this brazen because they haven't been punched in the mouth, nose, or chin area by an angry black person yet.

One good Tyson-like right cross stops ALL this ? .
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    Never understood why black ppl elect to go to Ole Miss if they have other options. The history at that school is disturbing.

Same could be said for all southern colleges if not all colleges period. From ol miss to uga to west point they all went hardon their black students. I come from an educated family and going back for at least 3 generations we all went to hbcus. They all lived well, valued education and encouraged their kids to go to college. We never had to beg whitey to let us come in through the side door or worry about somebody hanging a noose somewhere.

Integration ? black ppl up. Not we r abandoning our own institutions that have served us well since reconstruction to be treated like ? at theirs. Smmfh

lol I knew that was coming when I hit submit. I'm sure there was plenty of racial issues among southern schools I've just never heard of the stories like I've heard at Ole Miss including another semi riot they had during Obamas election. Like really? We rioting over a presidential election at a higher school of learning in 2008? and ? still wanna go to that school? lol crazy.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ole-miss-statue-james-meredith-three-freshmen-charges
    Authorities Close To Bringing Charges Against Three Freshmen In Ole Miss Noose Case

Three 19-year-old freshmen at the University of Mississippi are wanted for questioning in the racially charged vandalism that took place last weekend at the school, according to University Police Chief Calvin Sellers.

According to a statement released Friday from the university, Sellers and investigators had gathered enough evidence by Wednesday night to bring charges against two of the students.

Sellers said the names of the three students, all white males, had figured prominently in the investigation into the defacement of a campus statue honoring James Meredith, the school's first black student. A noose and a flag showing the "stars and bars" of the Confederacy were draped over the statue early Sunday morning.

University police were stymied in their efforts to question the three students on Thursday night when attorneys representing the young men declined to make them available without a search warrant.

Sellers said he believes there's enough evidence to bring criminal charges against the three suspects and vowed to maintain cooperation with state and federal authorities. The FBI announced on Tuesday that it had joined the inquiry.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ole_miss_frat_suspended_noose_statue
    Ole Miss Frat Suspended, Noose Suspects Kicked Out

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) — A fraternity chapter at the University of Mississippi was indefinitely suspended Friday by its national organization and three of its freshman members were kicked out because of their suspected involvement in hanging a noose on a statue of James Meredith, the first black student to enroll in the then all-white college.

In a statement, Sigma Phi Epsilon said it suspended the Alpha Chapter at the university and the chapter voted to expel all three men and turn over their identities to investigators.

Police on Sunday found a noose tied around the neck of the statue, along with an old Georgia flag with a Confederate battle emblem in its design, which has since been updated to exclude the emblem.

When Meredith tried to enter Ole Miss in fall 1962, Mississippi's governor tried to stop him. That led to violence on the Oxford campus.

U.S. Attorney General Robert Kennedy sent 500 U.S. marshals to take control and days later, Meredith was allowed in the school. Though he faced harassment, he graduated with a degree in political science.

The FBI said Friday it planned to expand the vandalism investigation for potential violations of federal law.

"It is embarrassing that these men had previously identified with our fraternity," said Brian C. Warren Jr., CEO of Sigma Phi Epsilon. "SigEp as a national fraternity has championed racial equality and issues on diversity since 1959 when it became the first national fraternity to invite members of all races, creeds and religions to join its membership."

Warren said the fraternity will conduct a review to ensure that members' values align with those espoused by the organization. "We won't allow the actions of a few men to undermine the more than five decades of leadership this fraternity has demonstrated in the fight for racial equality and diversity on our college campuses," he said.

The university tried Friday to question three white students in connection with the vandalism but their attorneys would not allow that to happen without arrest warrants. The three have not been identified.

University spokesman Danny Blanton said Friday the school's findings have been turned over to the district attorney's office. Blanton said the university will also proceed with internal disciplinary action through a judicial panel that consists of both faculty and students.

The university is satisfied that the three students under investigation are responsible for the statue's desecration, Blanton said.

The Ole Miss Alumni Association is offering at $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest. University Police Department Chief Calvin Sellers said the reward offer gave police some good leads in the case.

Blanton said it's not yet clear who might share in the reward.

District Attorney Ben Creekmore did not immediately respond to a message left Friday by The Associated Press. However, he told WMC-TV in Memphis that criminal charges would be difficult.

Creekmore said investigators and prosecutors have looked into several misdemeanors, but he said criminal charges were unlikely by his office because the statue was not physically damaged, and the suspects did not appear to be trespassing.

He said federal investigators could opt to bring charges if they saw fit. Creekmore said if new information comes to light, his office could revisit the issue.

Blanton said it's up to state and federal authorities to press criminal charges, but "obviously, since we've seen who is responsible, we want to take swift and decisive action.

"What we want to do is to show this type action can't take place on this campus. We want to demonstrate that we will not tolerate this type behavior," he said.

Ole Miss will move forward "as soon as possible" with discipline through the university's student judicial process. That panel, which consists of both faculty and students, could choose sanctions including dismissal and barring the three from campus, Blanton said.

The fact that the students won't talk to administrators is disappointing, he added.

"We certainly wish they would be forthright and discuss this matter so that we can get to the bottom of it. We want to hear their side. We want to know not just what happened, but why they did it. We want to open a dialogue," he said.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A couple of yrs ago a got into a whole bunch of law schools.. Ole Miss was one of them. I think I applied because they waved my app fee..anyway I went to visit with a friend who was an alumnus and all I could think about was Mississippi burning... Oxford has a eerie vibe to it.

That could be said for the entire state