It's the Civil Rights Movement, Who You Riding With?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
You want to get down with organization that will bring freedom and liberation to you oppressed and persecuted brothers and sisters in America. Which organization are you aligning with?

naacp100-03.jpg

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

Unlike SCLC, the NAACP opts to fight for social change via the court system, lobbying efforts and things of that nature. Arguably the most mainstream of the groups and the least frighting to the white people.

SCLC_King.jpg

Southern Christian Leadership Conference

By the SCLC, you be be dedicated to non-violence, civil disobedience, participating in marches and boycotts. Along with the NAACP, you would be in the most visible of the and vocal of the Civil Rights organizations.

final%20small%20core%20logo.gif

Congress of Racial Equality

CORE basically uses the same tactics as SCLC in addition to Freedom Rides.

snccmarker.gif

Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee

A student lead movement that used the strategy of sit-ins to protest the pervasiveness of segregation and other forms of racism.

elijah_n_malcolm.jpg

The Nation of Islam

Preaches, separatism from white America, self reliance, building the economy within the black economy, and of course stresses that the white man is the devil incarnate. The NOI isn't active in the Civil Rights Movement, but is focusing on black people to be proud of and dependent on themselves. Unlike the other organizations, The NOI believes in self defense.

beeheadline.jpg

300px-Black-Panther-Party-founders-newton-seale-forte-howard-hutton.jpg

The Black Panther Party

The Panthers 10 Point Program

1)We want freedom. We want power to determine the destiny of our Black Community.

2) We want full employment for our people.

3) We want an end to the robbery by the white men of our Black Community.

4) We want decent housing, fit for shelter of human beings.

5) We want education for our people that exposes the true nature of this decadent American society. We want education that teaches us our true history and our role in the present day society.

6) We want all Black men to be exempt from military service.

7)We want an immediate end to POLICE BRUTALITY and MURDER of Black people.

8) We want freedom for all Black men held in federal, state, county and city prisons and jails.

9) We want all Black people when brought to trial to be tried in court by a jury of their peer group or people from their Black Communities, as defined by the Constitution of the United States.

10)We want land, bread, housing, education, clothing, justice and peace.

The Panthers also along with the NOI believed in self defense.

Comments

• gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Each got their own respective positives but I'm leaning more toward the noi's stance on self reliance sans the religious ? of course

I ? with the panthers too but I'm riding with Brother Malcolm......nh
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Gotta go with the Black Panthers
    NOI is a strong second
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    I'm ? with the Panthers simply based off the self defense policy. Miss me with that letting white- muthafuckas-abuse you ? . I would have been of the frame of mind that since the Panthers have a policy of self defense with out have been our responsibility to provide the non-violent organizations with some sort of the protection. I'm feeling the Panthers stance on self reliance as far as improving the community.
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Panthers all day even tho i dont agree with some of their points seemed like they wanted ? handed to them i cant turn the other cheek tho so im riding..
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nation of Islam easy. Separatism from Amerikkka is the obvious solution for the rise and succession of the black community.

In comparison, the Black Panther party seems like they want to intimidate and go gun for gun against an enemy who's bigger and stronger. Silly plan, but at the same time more honorable than the remaining organizations.

P.S. I expect most people to overlook the NOI because of what happened when X "went rogue" or due to religious differences.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    since we're going with groups that don't necessarily overlap, can't i pick some OAAU option?
    failing that, i suppose i have to go with the BPP for obvious reasons
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    since we're going with groups that don't necessarily overlap, can't i pick some OAAU option?

Yeah, I guess.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Oh aiight, I gotta be that guy hanh? Ok.

I'm interested in actually getting ? done, and winning, so I'mma ride with the SCLC thankyouverymuch.

Apparently that organization was led by some "Martin Luther King" guy.

Did pretty well for themselves IIRC.

Panthers, ha.

Sure the Panthers were cool and had guns. But ya'll seem to be forgetting how many snitches, traitors, and snakes infested the BPP. Leaders couldn't get along or agree on basic strategy. In the 70s it all fell apart and ? started slangin. Huey Newton became a dope fiend and got murdered after walking out of a ? house. And Eldridge Cleaver became a ? Ronald Reagan worshipper. (i can't decide which is worse)

Fred Hampton was their last hope.
    Miss me with that letting white- muthafuckas-abuse you ? .

Hold the phone. That ? was a STRATEGIC DECISION by people who knew that fighting violence with violence would be suicide. We ain't talkin bout South Africa here. Black People were severely outnumbered and outgunned. Anybody that thinks guerrilla warfare and terrorism would've ended Jim Crow is high. Probably would've ended with black people in concentration camps.

MLK did not simply send dudes out to get their ass whipped. He set that ? up beautifully. They DELIBERATELY picked Birmingham because they knew Bull Connor would go ? crazy in response. MLK understood how America worked and used that. He pimped the media, played politicians, knew how to exploit people's hopes and fears.

So let's review:

Black Panthers achievements = free breakfasts for kids, ? w/ the police, storming the state capitol, convinced Ronald Reagan to embrace gun control (HI JANKLOW)

SCLC achievements = damn near everything else we actually thank the Civil Rights Movement for achieving

Now the Black Liberation Army on the other hand...............
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

I'm interested in actually getting ? done, and winning, so I'mma ride with the SCLC thankyouverymuch.

Panthers, ha.

Sure the Panthers were cool and had guns. But ya'll seem to be forgetting how many snitches, traitors, and snakes infested the BPP. Leaders couldn't get along or agree on basic strategy. In the 70s it all fell apart and ? started slangin. Huey Newton became a dope fiend and got murdered after walking out of a ? house. And Eldridge Cleaver became a ? Ronald Reagan worshipper. (i can't decide which is worse)

Fred Hampton was their last hope.
    Miss me with that letting white- muthafuckas-abuse you ? .

Hold the phone. That ? was a STRATEGIC DECISION by people who knew that fighting violence with violence would be suicide. We ain't talkin bout South Africa here. Black People were severely outnumbered and outgunned. Anybody that thinks guerrilla warfare and terrorism would've ended Jim Crow is high. Probably would've ended with black people in concentration camps.

MLK did not simply send dudes out to get their ass whipped. He set that ? up beautifully. They DELIBERATELY picked Birmingham because they knew Bull Connor would go ? crazy in response. MLK understood how America worked and used that. He pimped the media, played politicians, knew how to exploit people's hopes and fears.

So let's review:

Black Panthers achievements = free breakfasts for kids, ? w/ the police, storming the state capitol, convinced Ronald Reagan to embrace gun control (HI JANKLOW)

SCLC achievements = damn near everything else we actually thank the Civil Rights Movement for achieving

Now the Black Liberation Army on the other hand...............

I hear you, the question is which group would you had joined, not which one had the most effective, realistic, sound policies and strategies. I would have joined the Panthers based on my mindset, temperament, and attitude, which would have been the one a lot of cats have now, these white muthafuckas aren't about to give us ? and anything we want, we're going to have to take it. Besides I would have been in fed pen with Ali for evading draft. I would be damned if the government was going to demand that I go and fight for the freedom and liberation of some cats in Vietnam, when my people in American weren't free and liberated.

• janklow
    Options
    Yeah, I guess.
    yeeaaah technicalities!
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    actually, you rip the BPP pretty frankly and you're almost completely right. but you know what? if some dudes were like "janklow, we're going to do a sit-in" and some other dudes were like "let's go shoot some guns"... man, it's really not realistic for me to pretend that i'm rolling with the former. YOU KNOW ME, MAN
    let's be fair: "scared a bunch of ? white people into writing a bill that Reagan signed." trust me, the 1960s were banner times for white ? politicians to get scared that someone might shoot THEM and slam us all with gun control laws. ? me off to this day.

oh, to be fair, you also forgot where former Panthers like Bobby Rush were big armed self-defense guys when they were social activists and now that they have some skin in the game are HUGE ? proponents of civilian disarmament. no respect for that ? in my book and anyone else taking the same stance.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anotherone od these crab ass threads
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When does the checkers or card game come out
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good thread.

They're components of every group that make since.
    not sure which one I would ride with at the moment.

It would probably be more easier if it was the 50's and my people were being
    terrorize frequently.

Not sure if I would go in Guns blazing, practice separation and self reliance, or utilize a more
    covert infiltration strategy to spark change within the ? structure while avoiding the pit falls of Jay Reed.
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nation of Islam easy. Separatism from Amerikkka is the obvious solution for the rise and succession of the black community.

In comparison, the Black Panther party seems like they want to intimidate and go gun for gun against an enemy who's bigger and stronger. Silly plan, but at the same time more honorable than the remaining organizations.

P.S. I expect most people to overlook the NOI because of what happened when X "went rogue" or due to religious differences.

This is false.

The Guns were used to capture the imagination of the People and it worked. Bobby Seale has said this plenty of times. Cleaver wanted a war in the streets and he hated all of the social programs. That's what caused the Newton/Cleaver beef. George Jackson wanted his Black Guerrilla Family to be the Military wing of the Black Power movement and wanted the Panthers to be the propaganda/Political wing.

Whats often over-looked is what the name of The BBP actually meant. We have the Republican PARTY and the Democratic Party and you always think Politics, but that connection is never made you hear the Black Panther PARTY...

The Ultimate goal of the Panther Party wasn't to go to war with the police and it wasn't even the Free Breakfast for Kids type of Programs, it was to Politicize Black People and get us into position of Power within the Government and that's where you can make CHANGE.

A few Panthers have ran for office and the Party help give Oakland its 1st Black Mayor. Hell, theres even a Black Panther Leader still in office today!
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Panthers. The US government reacted more strongly against them than any of those other groups. They ran thru cribs and shot ppl up multiple times. That must say something about how the much of a threat they were perceived to be
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marcus Garvey 1st ,2nd and 3rd. Oh, wait you said Civil Rights...4th Malcolm X. 5th National Urban League. 6th the UNIA. Martin was smart, great,brave and blessed but we've seen the realization of his dream played out and I don't like it. Subserviance through integration and forever being a 2nd or 3rd class citizen is detrimental in more ways than I can mention and these are the fruits of MLK's dream. I read all 5 of his books and have a great respect for him and know this is not what he intended but it is what Malcolm correctly told Martin would happen. I favor Malcolm on everything except Islam and following Malcolm probably would mean incorporating his religion and people in that religion too so IDK.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NAACP. Law is way more interesting than marching in the streets tbh
  • janklow
    Options
    luke1733 wrote: »
    I favor Malcolm on everything except Islam and following Malcolm probably would mean incorporating his religion and people in that religion too so IDK.
    this is why i was holding out for a OAAU option