DC: Rebirth

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's unreal to me that this is finally coming out. I am now 30 and have been waiting on this series since it was announced back when I was in my mid 20's.

multiversity-tease.jpg

DQqpwBX.jpg
    THE MULTIVERSITY #1 Written by GRANT MORRISON
    Art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
    On sale AUGUST 20 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

The biggest adventure in DC’s history is here!

Join visionary writer Grant Morrison, today’s most talented artists, and a cast of unforgettable characters from 52 alternative Earths of the known DC Multiverse! Prepare to meet the Vampire League of Earth-43, the Justice Riders of Earth-18, Superdemon, Doc Fate, the super-sons of Superman and Batman, the rampaging Retaliators of Earth-8, the Atomic Knights of Justice, Dino-Cop, Sister Miracle, Lady Quark, the legion of Sivanas, the ? New Reichsmen of Earth-10 and the latest, greatest Super Hero of Earth-Prime: YOU!

Comprising six complete adventures – each set in a different parallel universe – plus a two-part framing story and a comprehensive guidebook to the many worlds of the Multiverse, THE MULTIVERSITY is more than just a multipart comic-book series. It’s a cosmos spanning, soul-shaking experience that puts YOU on the frontline in the Battle for All Creation against the demonic destroyers known as the Gentry!

In issue #1, pencilled by superstar artist Ivan Reis (AQUAMAN, JUSTICE LEAGUE), President Superman of Earth-23 uncovers a threat to all Reality so apocalyptic it will take a team of incredible heroes from across the Multiverse to face it – including Captain Carrot, like you’ve never seen him before!

But even with a multitude of alternate worlds to choose from, where every variation is possible, can anyone hope to prevail against the onslaught of ultimate evil and undying hatred – in the unstoppable form of a one-time cosmic defender with unimaginable powers?! Join us, if you dare, for the beginning of THE MULTIVERSITY!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds confusing as ?
  • Broddie
    edited May 2014
    Options
    It's pretty straight forward. There are multiple versions of the DC characters (Ie: Justice League TAS, Crime Syndicate of Earth 3 from Forever Evil, characters in the Earth 2 book) across the 52 different earths in their comic book universe. Now you get to see some of those worlds and heroes working together.

Granted if you read Final Crisis (where President Superman & Nix Uotan debuted) or even the Action Comics issue with President Superman from 2 years ago you'll get a lot more out of this story. As opposed to someone who's first DC comic came out during the last 3 years; but it's pretty much a stand alone story that will also finally identify all of the earths in the New 52 version of the DC multiverse.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounds like n answer to original sin
  • Broddie
    Options
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol Lex strolled up to Wayne Manor like a G
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn were finally getting Obama Superman in his own book.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Lol Lex strolled up to Wayne Manor like a G

scans?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am way behind I haven't read any thing since the justice league revamp, flashpoint and green lantern rise of the third army.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guys I gotta ask:

Do you feel anything of value has come with the new 52? BEcause.....honestly the ? is still ? terrible to me.

A few characters are hitting solid points...Wonder Woman IMO is the biggest winner of the reboot. Swamp Thing as well. And ill admit Earth 2 while starting to lose steam, genuinely felt radical and fresh as a reboot. I mean Red Tornado Lois? Thas pretty ? left field.

But the rest of the DCU is just so...blah. A lot of the quintessential elements of the old DCU are gone and those same elements made alotta the heroes/concepts unique.

For example: Under the pens of Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Joe Kelly, and Brad Meltzer, the Justice League was presented as this larger than life first response superhero team that was the shining achievement of the DC universe.

As far as post millienials Superhero groups go, The Justice League had excellently walked the middle ground between the Authority and the Avengers. They were fighting extra-dimensional, universe spanning threats but at the same time remaining a close knit group bound by this proud tradition of superheroing that had endured for a decade plus in-universe timeline.

Now, Geoff Johns seems to be trying WAYYYYY to hard to humanize the JLA by introducing things like the JLA clashing over petty rifts or the Govt. being anti-JLA and seeking to take them out. These aspects lean far too left on the Marvel house of things.

Events like Forever Evil dont help matters, as the JLA looked absolutely ? useless during it all. Mind you i'm aware that Forever Evil is the latest iteration in a long standing Johns tradition of making his bad guys look good, but it was salt in already open wound.

TO summarize, the DCU as a whole has been stripped of what made it a unique and vibrant world with the JLA being the most obvious example to me. And for me, there hasnt been a substantial payoff yet to justify tossing everything out.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I don't think JLA was ever as good as it was under Morrison even Waid's run.

I think the flagship JL book by Geoff Johns was bad up until Throne of Atlantis and then after that not worth reading again till Trinity War/Forever Evil. Now it's a very interesting read with the new status quo. It got a good shakeup and so did JLA with JLU.

Compared to pre-Flashpoint I'm no longer reading 40 plus DC published titles every month anymore. Same with Marvel after Civil War. I only read 2 Marvel books in 2014 and I used to buy over 30 a month not even a decade ago. I think the big 2 in general have become too event crazy during the past decade to even put ? that truly measures up to what Image or Valiant is putting out. There are exceptions with the new 52 though

Green Lantern
    Red Lanterns
    Justice League
    Justice League United
    Justice League 3000
    Action Comics
    Superman/Wonder Woman
    Batman & Robin
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Red Hood & The Outlaws
    Green Arrow
    Swamp Thing
    All-Star Western (gone in August smh)
    Earth 2

Are all books I still check out every month and thoroughly enjoy.
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got damn at the way Swamp Thing ? man handled Aquaman, was he operating with the White Lantern ring at the time or was he still at standard levels?
  • lord nemesis
    Options
    Obviously a lot more marvel fans on this board because this thread stay dead. This ? between Doom Patrol and specifically Lex and the Chief seems interesting tho
  • Broddie
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Obviously a lot more marvel fans on this board because this thread stay dead.

This is why I don't even post in here. Often times I find some interesting ? to talk about regarding DC news but I just stick to CBR or SHH when it comes to discussing them. Even the so called DC fans on the IC ignore this thread. Often times I'll just find that I'm talking to myself. Still for the sake of the bump I'll share this Grant Morrison Multiversity interview for the one or 2 that might actually be interested.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54456

some images from the article

Channel-52-Multiversity-503e0.jpg

1st-shazam-c8923.jpg

Thunderworldcovercolour-e2f64.jpg

thejustcoverflat-f248c.jpg

MULTIV-01-04-450-CMYK-a6493.jpg
  • earth two superman
    Options
    i read a ton of DC, but no one else here does really so I just discuss it on reddit or something.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I prefer DC to Marvel. I need a find a place to download comics though, i aint been to the comic shop in a year.
  • earth two superman
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    I prefer DC to Marvel. I need a find a place to download comics though, i aint been to the comic shop in a year.

http://www.comicsforest.com/

they get every issue every week. dowloads are slow on the formats they use though.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
  • lord nemesis
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    I'm getting into DC. I'm reading JL 3000, Future's End and JL

How you like Futures End? I heard it was pretty ? in the beginning but wonder if its picked up any
  • earth two superman
    Options
    I'm getting into DC. I'm reading JL 3000, Future's End and JL

How you like Futures End? I heard it was pretty ? in the beginning but wonder if its picked up any

Story is all over the place and seems like they're telling 4 stories at once but I'm liking it. The book was suggested by a friend so far so good I will admit the first two was wack. A lot better now

this is something DC likes to do. Sometimes they pull it off, sometimes they dont.
  • Knives Amilli
    Options
    Ill give multiversity a shot.

But they've already ? me off with the 52 worlds nonsense.

That is the stupidest ? in the world. Recreating the muliverse concept which exists to have INFINITE possibilities.....and just limiting that ? to 52 worlds. Ass backwards to say the least.
  • Knives Amilli
    Options
    And I aint digging a map of the multiverse either.

? supposed to be the infinite. How the ? is there a map of it?

(forgive my hating but I loved Pre 52 DC like it was my first child....to see where it is now is killing me)
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I just downloaded a collection of every new 52 comic until Jan 2014. ? yeah.
  • lord nemesis
    Options
    And I aint digging a map of the multiverse either.

? supposed to be the infinite. How the ? is there a map of it?

(forgive my hating but I loved Pre 52 DC like it was my first child....to see where it is now is killing me)

I think they've more or less found their footing though. I agree though, even for a ? that had been out of comics for a long time like me, the initial wave of New 52 titles and characterizations was quite jarring.
  • Broddie
    Options
    Multiversity-map_1400x1074-1.jpg

ComicsAlliance: The Multiversity is a comic book story that’s been years in the making. I’d be interested to start with how, in your mind, the shape of Multiversity has changed in the eight years since we’ve first heard about it.

Grant Morrison: Well originally came out with what we were doing in 52, back in the day with Geoff and Mark and Greg. Originally it was going to be related to that, and as you’ve seen lots of things happened in the end to them. I was pretty busy. The story took a long time to put together and we had to create fifty new universes. It’s been a long time, and also, we’ve been waiting for artists.

The artists are very good in this book and it’s just taken people quite a long time. So over that time, the DC Universe has changed quite considerably, which is why I left the guide book to the very end so I could kind of tie it in. So everything is updated along with the New 52, and I think the fact that they called it New 52 makes this book more appropriate now because it kind of serves as an expansion of that universe rather than something different.

Read More: Interview: Grant Morrison Takes Us On A Multiversity Tour | http://comicsalliance.com/grant-morrison-multiversity-interview-dc-comics-comic-con-san-diego/?trackback=tsmclip