AMC's Preacher Will Stay True to the Source Material

Options
Ghostdenithegawd
Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
Preacher was one of those stories nobody thought they would ever see outside the pages of Garth Ennis' comic. Its violent, sexual and overtly blasphemous content has stumped studios hoping to turn the series into a TV or film franchise. So, it came as quite a surprise when it was announced that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, the writing-directing-producing duo behind This Is the End, will be bringing Preacher to AMC with the help of Breaking Bad's Sam Catlin.

This Is the End - Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg Interview02:50
During an interview at Austin's SXSW film festival, Evan Goldberg talked about his upcoming projects with Collider, including Preacher. He said that while certain structural changes are necessary, the show will try to stay as true to the comic as possible.

“We just had a meeting with AMC and Garth Ennis, who’s the writer," Goldberg said, "and we all kind of seemed to agree that we’re gonna stay as true to the comic as we can. We need to change some stuff but we’re not gonna change much, I hope. We’re just gonna do a little more of the preamble instead of doing flashbacks and restructure how we dole out the information a little, but we’re gonna [do the] same characters, same story, same ending. We’re gonna try to stick to Preacher as best we can. We’re making it with Sam Catlin who did Breaking Bad, and so he might tell me I’m wrong about all of this and that the real way to do it is different because he’s much smarter and better at all this than I am. But we’re gonna try to stick to what it is as best we can.”

Goldberg also reiterated his thoughts from last month concerning the primacy of TV over film for translating the story of Preacher.

“We’re beyond excited, we've tried to make it for 10 years. The big difference is everyone else tried to make it a movie and it shouldn't be a movie. It should be an AMC show, that’s the proper way for it to get done… It’s too big; you can’t do that in a movie. It’s just too big. You've gotta learn the characters, it’s all about a love triangle and you need to grow with them and see the woman swayed one way or the other, and in a movie you just can’t accomplish all that.”

preacher

preacher-610x343.jpg

Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a preacher who becomes one of the most powerful beings in existence when he is possessed by the spawn of an angel and demon. With the help of his ex-girlfriend, Tulip, and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, Jesse literally searches for ? -- who has abandoned heaven -- looking for answers

Comments