Batman/Superman vs Captain America 3 - 5/6/16

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Who you wit? Which will be debut higher at the box office? Which will be the better movie? Which one are you seeing first?

Mystery Solved: 'Captain America 3' to Challenge Batman-Superman Head On (Exclusive)
2:02 PM PDT 3/13/2014 by Pamela McClintock

Until now, the identity of the Marvel film set to open on May 6, 2016, has been kept secret; Marvel Studios and Disney claimed the date first before Warner Bros. slotted the next "Superman" installment for the same weekend.

The mystery has been solved -- the untitled Marvel Studios tentpole that Warner Bros.' Batman-Superman movie will go up against on May 6, 2016, is Captain America 3, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

That's the plan, anyway, creating the biggest superhero box office showdown in history (Marvel Studios and parent company Disney staked out the date first). Shooting schedules and post-production could always impact the current blueprint, however. Also, Marvel and Disney have a second untitled movie set to open that summer on July 8, so there is wiggle room.

Marvel films have all but owned the first weekend of summer for the past decade to enormous success, so all of Hollywood was surprised when Warner Bros. announced in January that it would open Batman-Superman movie on May 6, 2016 as well.

Batman-Superman stars Ben Affleck as Batman and Henry Cavill once again as Superman. It was originally supposed to hit theaters in summer 2015, but its release was pushed back nearly a year. There's no doubt but that Warners is hoping to replicate the blockbuster returns Marvel has enjoyed with its multi-hero Avengers universe.

This week, when promoting the upcoming sequel Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige threw down the gauntlet, saying he had no plans to move off of the May 6 date. He still wouldn't reveal the identity of the film; however, insiders confirm it will indeed be Captain America 3. The world premiere of Winter Soldier is Thursday in Hollywood.

Warners may have been waiting to see what the Marvel title was before considering a date change for Batman-Superman, if the studio indeed blinks. There are still weekends available that summer, including the first two after Captain America 3 and Batman-Superman are set to open. Zack Snyder begins shooting Batman-Superman in the coming weeks.

Marvel and Disney are incredibly high on Captain America 2, which opens in north America on April 4 and is garnering huge interest, according to pre-release tracking. They believe Winter Soldier, returning Chris Evans in the title role, will benefit from the same halo effect from The Avengers that Iron Man 3 and sequel Thor: The Dark World enjoyed, as well as firmly establishing Captain America as a standalone franchise.

Brothers Anthony and Joe Russo directed Winter Soldier, and are in talks to return for Captain America 3. The first Captain America: The First Avenger took in $371 million worldwide, compared to $668 million for Man of Steel. However, Winter Soldier has a shot at matching the $641 million grossed worldwide by fellow Marvel sequel Thor: The Dark World late last year. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the second Cap film, has its premiere in Hollywood tonight and already has critics who have seen the film buzzing, tracking toward an $80 million+ debut.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mystery-solved-captain-america-3-688384

Batman/Superman vs Captain America 3 - 5/6/16 39 votes

Batman/Superman
76%
dalyricalbanditgnsA.J. TrillzynskiRecaptimus_Prime360texas409  Colin$mackabi$hlord nemesisfortyacresmikelewisfocusvageneral08clairvoyanceillestni99ainneKINGECMrCrookedLetterits....JOHN BAlready Home_17Chi-Town BullyMister B.Built 4 cuban linx 30 votes
Captain America 3
23%
eyes lowa.mannBcotton5Cutler 26 INT's LOL!NothingButTheTruthL3NUDrMindbender122silverfoxxCarthaginian 9 votes

Comments

• MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    Captain America is gonna get destroyed by Bat/Supes at the box office
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    Movie wise and money wise.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    Never cared for CA
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    Captain America is gonna get destroyed by Bat/Supes at the box office

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    Going to the movies to see Superman /batman. I'll most likely just watch captain America online
  • Juttythe3rd
    Juttythe3rd Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Captain America will take one of the biggest lauces ever
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    Its the Gotdamn BATMAN!!
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    It ain't close.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Captain America 3
    CA will be the better movie. Not feeling BA as Batman.

Batman and Superman will probably have the better numbers, even though I find the concept pretty stupid. Superman is too strong for Batman's world!
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    depends on how cap 2 does, and what they pln to do with cap 3. to early to tell
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I need to see Cap 2 first but I'm sure the DC trump card will have better box figures.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    C'mon now. The curiosity of seeing how Ben portraying Batman will be too great.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    The first Captain America was ok and Winter Soldier looks like it's going to be dope. But a live action Batman/Superman movie is some unprecedented historical ? . You've got probably the two most iconic characters in comic history in one movie. Cap is is gonna get merked at the box office.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Captain America 3
    I doubt wb will leave that movie on that date. Cap 2 is tracking at a 80mil first weekend wb needs it own weekend they can't risk not putting up monster numbers. Also there's a huge chance superman vs batman is a ? movie
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If it was going to be just a superman movie I'd say marvel has the advantage. But putting Batman in it is taking it to another level. Even with a successful cap 2, which it will be, I think DC will get higher numbers.

Still I get the feeling dc will cave and move.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    Marvel stays with the inferiority complex and is starting to behave like their fans, always something to prove and its always gotta be about some Marvel/DC rivalry.

WB gives no ? about all that they're just trying to make a quality movie and raise ? to the next level. meanwhile Marvel stays saturating the market like making movies is a crapshoot for them. its bad for everybody because the public are gonna get burned out on comic book movies.
  • Juttythe3rd
    Juttythe3rd Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only way the batman/superman movie would fail is if Val Kilmer was playing batman
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    the first cap movie was a lil boring, this 2nd one looks like an upgrade but I don't think the third will be ? with bats vs sups.
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    I think Bats and Sups will take it also but, for the record, we are talking about a post Avengers 2 Captain America 3 here. That could change a lot.
    Marvel stays with the inferiority complex and is starting to behave like their fans, always something to prove and its always gotta be about some Marvel/DC rivalry.

WB gives no ? about all that they're just trying to make a quality movie and raise ? to the next level. meanwhile Marvel stays saturating the market like making movies is a crapshoot for them. its bad for everybody because the public are gonna get burned out on comic book movies.

I might agree, except Marvel is not just throwing out random movies to see what sticks. That's actually what DC has been doing for a minute now with the exception of the last Batman trilogy. But Marvel has this all planned out in advance though. All the movies are connected to and overall story and universe.
  • eyes low
    Options
    Captain America 3
    I don't doubt superman 2 will win but they can't afford cap 3 taking some of its box office.
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    focus wrote: »
    I think Bats and Sups will take it also but, for the record, we are talking about a post Avengers 2 Captain America 3 here. That could change a lot.

I might agree, except Marvel is not just throwing out random movies to see what sticks. That's actually what DC has been doing for a minute now with the exception of the last Batman trilogy. But Marvel has this all planned out in advance though. All the movies are connected to and overall story and universe.

c'mon though Captain America part 3? Guardians of the Galaxy? Ant-Man? nobody asking for these ?
  • eyes low
    Options
    Captain America 3

c'mon though Captain America part 3? Guardians of the Galaxy? Ant-Man? nobody asking for these ?

Marvel doesn't own their big names so they're creating big names.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Batman/Superman
    The only way the batman/superman movie would fail is if Val Kilmer was playing batman

Or if the Batnipples come back
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread is really premature.

Nobody asked for Iron Man or Thor either.