If You Believe Black People Should Stop Using the "N-Word" Then

Stiff
Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in The Social Lounge
Shouldn't black people also stop:

Referring to cars as "whips"-- because slave owners used whips on our ancestors
Referring to necklaces as "chains" -- because chains were used on our ancestors to enslave us
Using the term "boy" all together -- because racist whites would call grown black men "boy" to demean them
Using the old-school term "ace" -- because it's kind of close to "? ", which was a slur and is also short for "ace-boon-? " which contains "? " which is an obvious slur
Using the term "dog" to refer to your friends, associates (ie. "that's my dawg") -- because whites use to dehumanize us so we should never refer to ourselves as animals of any sort.
Speaking English -- because it is not our ancestral tongue and was the language of the people that enslaved us.
Living in America ---because our very presence here is a result of slavery and Diaspora.

Or should we focus ALL of our energy on other, more pressing issues that are wrong in our community

or nah
«1

Comments

  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do what you wanna do.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ima always use the word, idgaf. I just dont use it infront of non blacks.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually for "pro-? " language. the word doesn't affect me like it does a lotta spineless punk ass emotion filled negros in society. I embrace it like NWA. as we all should.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ima always use the word, idgaf. I just dont use it infront of non blacks.

    My ?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that black people should stop saying ? if we don't want. But...the premise of this thread is ? stupid. Lol.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk however you like just watch who you disrespect.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol..no

    There are more pressing issues

    We helped build this country we are here.

    If in some fantasy land all which you said ..would be done it changes nothing all of that ? is frivolous ?
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I don't think that black people should stop saying ? if we don't want. But...the premise of this thread is ? stupid. Lol.

    LOL I agree wholeheartedly it's dumb as ? . But that's the argument people use so why stop there let's eliminate anything that could be traced back to racism.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Ima always use the word, idgaf. I just dont use it infront of non blacks.

    why not? u scared the white man gone backslap or what? I say it around they ? , they started the use of it so they shouldn't feel uncomfy about it.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Talk however you like just watch who you disrespect.

    That's my thing. If somebody doesn't want you using "? " around them for whatever reason, cool. If you respect that person you should respect their wishes.

    But why launch a whole "n-word" crusade while young blacks men are dying in the streets and being thrown in prison at extremely high rates???
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    Shouldn't black people also stop:

    Referring to cars as "whips"-- because slave owners used whips on our ancestors
    Referring to necklaces as "chains" -- because chains were used on our ancestors to enslave us
    Using the term "boy" all together -- because racist whites would call grown black men "boy" to demean them
    Using the old-school term "ace" -- because it's kind of close to "? ", which was a slur and is also short for "ace-boon-? " which contains "? " which is an obvious slur
    Using the term "dog" to refer to your friends, associates (ie. "that's my dawg") -- because whites use to dehumanize us so we should never refer to ourselves as animals of any sort.
    Speaking English -- because it is not our ancestral tongue and was the language of the people that enslaved us.
    Living in America ---because our very presence here is a result of slavery and Diaspora.

    Or should we focus ALL of our energy on other, more pressing issues that are wrong in our community

    or nah

    Yet you made a thread solely about defending your right to be called "? " as opposed to a thread about all these other more pressing issues.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i say we can use what we want......my problem is when people let everyone use it and act like its nothing an we past all that....when clearly its the people who are not black but want to use are not
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    Crude_ wrote: »
    Talk however you like just watch who you disrespect.

    That's my thing. If somebody doesn't want you using "? " around them for whatever reason, cool. If you respect that person you should respect their wishes.

    But why launch a whole "n-word" crusade while young blacks men are dying in the streets and being thrown in prison at extremely high rates???

    Some folks are just misguided and don't know where to direct their energy.

    Not every battle is worth fighting.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    Shouldn't black people also stop:

    Referring to cars as "whips"-- because slave owners used whips on our ancestors
    Referring to necklaces as "chains" -- because chains were used on our ancestors to enslave us
    Using the term "boy" all together -- because racist whites would call grown black men "boy" to demean them
    Using the old-school term "ace" -- because it's kind of close to "? ", which was a slur and is also short for "ace-boon-? " which contains "? " which is an obvious slur
    Using the term "dog" to refer to your friends, associates (ie. "that's my dawg") -- because whites use to dehumanize us so we should never refer to ourselves as animals of any sort.
    Speaking English -- because it is not our ancestral tongue and was the language of the people that enslaved us.
    Living in America ---because our very presence here is a result of slavery and Diaspora.

    Or should we focus ALL of our energy on other, more pressing issues that are wrong in our community

    or nah

    Yet you made a thread solely about defending your right to be called "? " as opposed to a thread about all these other more pressing issues.

    You didn't answer my question. I wouldn't have made the thread had it not been for the discussion we had in that other one or that video and the sentiment that older people have.

    Had I made a thread about the prison industrial complex and targeted drug law enforcement it probably would have been ignored or moved to the social lounge to die
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and I got a couple more

    Using the term "boo" to refer to our significant others -- because it may or may not come from the word "? " which is a slur
    Supporting Jay-Z until he apologizes for referring to himself as Jigga --- see above
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I don't think that black people should stop saying ? if we don't want. But...the premise of this thread is ? stupid. Lol.

    LOL I agree wholeheartedly it's dumb as ? . But that's the argument people use so why stop there let's eliminate anything that could be traced back to racism.

    No, that's what I mean. The origin of those things in this country cannot be traced back to slavery. The origins of '? ' in this country can. That's why the premise is stupid.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't ? with one of us who uses that ? to exclusively to refer to Black people.

    I use the word to refer to people of any race in general (when I'm speaking to my own people) but when I hear another Black person say some ? like "If a ? tried to do that, those white folk would be... ", flags go up.

    I'm on some "hold up, dude really think that ? means: Black person", same context as a non-Black saying "Look at those ? ".
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently made the choice not to use it...bc among other reasons it just sounds idiotic and silly...the next man can do as he pleases

    And just like the fact that black people have to respect the fact tfat its not used as a derogatory term among blacks...the blacks who use it have to respect that it offends a lot of blacks
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My beef is with the fools that say ? and ? are two different words. Or say they are turning a negative word to a positive.

    That's like me pronouncing weath-ER as weath-uh and claiming it means something else just because I pronounced it different. But these ? won't hear me though. Niggradom is bliss.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the word boo..just cuz
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Stiff wrote: »
    mryounggun wrote: »
    I don't think that black people should stop saying ? if we don't want. But...the premise of this thread is ? stupid. Lol.

    LOL I agree wholeheartedly it's dumb as ? . But that's the argument people use so why stop there let's eliminate anything that could be traced back to racism.

    No, that's what I mean. The origin of those things in this country cannot be traced back to slavery. The origins of '? ' in this country can. That's why the premise is stupid.

    Like I said in the other thread that's a common misconception. ? comes from "nigre" which is Black in Latin. ? was a neutral term used to describe any darker skinned people before it became a racist word. The word "? " was actually invented before the modern concept of "racism"
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    Shouldn't black people also stop:

    Referring to cars as "whips"-- because slave owners used whips on our ancestors
    Referring to necklaces as "chains" -- because chains were used on our ancestors to enslave us
    Using the term "boy" all together -- because racist whites would call grown black men "boy" to demean them
    Using the old-school term "ace" -- because it's kind of close to "? ", which was a slur and is also short for "ace-boon-? " which contains "? " which is an obvious slur
    Using the term "dog" to refer to your friends, associates (ie. "that's my dawg") -- because whites use to dehumanize us so we should never refer to ourselves as animals of any sort.
    Speaking English -- because it is not our ancestral tongue and was the language of the people that enslaved us.
    Living in America ---because our very presence here is a result of slavery and Diaspora.

    Or should we focus ALL of our energy on other, more pressing issues that are wrong in our community

    or nah


    I actually think this is a great question.

    Yes. People better off not using these terms. At least until they get s proper grip on the English language.

    It stems from a lack of education .people have a hard time speaking proper to the point where they sound like they are speaking "white".

    In short, spend more time speaking proper, less time in the thun language.