College Athletes Can Unionize, Federal Agency Says

Options
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If Private Schools or schools known for its Academics drop athletics due to Unionizing is that a good thing?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    If Private Schools or schools known for its Academics drop athletics due to Unionizing is that a good thing?

That would show that they really don't give a ? about the players.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ehhh its only private schools, if it spread to public schools it would destroy college football. Texas, ND, OU and the BIg SEC schools would out bid everyone for top athletes and alot of schools would have to break off. Eventually it would be 40 or so teams playing each other basically drying up the money and shrinking the viewership.

Best bet if you want to pay players is have schools pool money each year as due's and redistribute that money back evenly among the teams. Would have to pay woman too because title 12 would ? all this ? if they aint getting payed either.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I said this in the college basketball thread but im glad somebody made this thread. The best way to give players revenue is to do it based off sales of tickets and apparel. Because then each program for each sport gets a return on investment of some of what they bring to the table. TV money might be out of the question. However here is what the union could negotiate.

1.% each player gets from jersey sales ( split equally to all players)
    2. % of ticket revenue each player gets from ticket sales (split equally to all players includes off site reg season games and ncaa tourney tickets sold to fans/alumni of team
    3. % each player gets from personalized jersey sales/custom apparel using name/nicknames of players.

Just like pro unions these %'s are negotiated every 5 years or so and set as a contract.

So again if Division 4 tap dancing has t-shirts that they can sell then they get a %. If Florida State's Gymnastics makes a twerk video they can get a % of the sales. But again its all based on how much product a team moves based on popularity of the sport.
  • Manc
    Manc Members Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let players make money off their own image it shouldn't be a violation to sign autographs. If you're marketable enough you should be able to do commercials and whatever. I played college soccer and was broke as hell in school they used to have Spanish leagues where they'd be paying players cash on the side if you were nice but it was a violation to do that I know sports don't bring any money like football an bball but players should be allowed to use that ? to their advantage. I remember when my coach heard about us winning a money tournament over break and told us we had to return the money ? dead laughed in his face. As a former student athlete I'm for all these players getting paid. You mean schools can afford to pay these coaches a few hundred thousand a year but players will break the bank. The only thing I see complex is sorting out what players make what cause a scrub shouldn't make the same as a star player
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *Waits for the NCAA and the Good ol' boys to come thru and crush the buildings.

Waayyyy too much money to lose for those crackas to sit on their shoulders and let this get out of hand.

Last time a bunch of rich rednecks were at risk of losing free labor in a lucrative industry -- the deadliest war in U.S. history popped off.

Probably won't be any blood shed, but it'll be close. lol
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    If a school uses a players image to promote a school, jerseys, t shirts, bobble heads etc then the player should get a cut of that money.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think the players are fighting for money.

I think just health benefits.
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I don't think the players are fighting for money.

I think just health benefits.

It will start out as benefits but surely turn into salary discussions. Them noggas deserve to get paid. Maybe not millions. But a couple grand a month wouldn't hurt